Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private messages (2)

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Private messages (2)

Just been trying to send a Private Message and get the following.....

ERROR: You have reached the limit for the number of private messages you can send now.

Perhaps someone can explain what that is about.....why should there be any limit to the number of messages you send....

If someone does not wish to hear from you they can block any messages coming from you....

If there is some limit...what is it....

We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Private messages (2)

There’s no limit that I’m aware of or that I can see on your account.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Well it’s not a message I have ever got before but clearly it was there.

Quite rare for me to sent PM anyway.

😀

We are born into history and history is born into us.
7up
Community Veteran

I got the same message yesterday or the day before.. i waited a few mins and then was able to send again.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think I got it, which is unprecented as I think it is the first time I've had to use them.

Around a fortnight ago, so I read the rest of the forums and tried again an hour later and it went through. Strange.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

A while ago we had a problem with spam accounts sending 100s of messages out to our users via PM. This got around our spam detection system annoyingly. There is a limit to the amount of PMs you can send per minute to counter this and it worked. It shouldn't affect anyone too much unless you are using the PMs like a chat kind of thing where messages are sent frequently and in quick succession. If you do get the error message, just wait a minute and try again.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Fair enough @jaread83 

Being a developer myself I can understand why you have these systems are in place. I remember running a small phpBB2 forum years ago and the spammers cracked the default Captcha and there were bots creating false accounts and posting spam onto my forums. I deleted those posts and managed to fine on-line a mod to the phpBB code to change the image of it to a lesser known one which stopped that.

Sorry back to your forums - I think I was only sending one at the time and I got that error. It worked a few minutes later. I hardly ever use PM's on here.

If I can help in testing then PM me 😉 (Sorry that is not a joke - I am being serious!).