cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Lithium ever going to fix the unread posts bug?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Are Lithium ever going to fix the unread posts bug?

While I was developing fixes around here it became apparent that I didn't have full control of everything in the codebase. I can manipulate the front end, create components that uses data from the API and do all sorts of other things like that (I won awards for this two years in a row).

The data from the API is something I have no access to in terms of changing how it's structured or stored. If I could do something about the API data, I would have done so a long time ago. I think the only thing I could do at the time was create the buttons to mark all posts in the forum/category as 'read' which will tell the API to do that.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

@Mook wrote:

Or Khorus were never notified of it or they can't be bothered to apply them for fear of breaking the code base.

I was in a constant contact with Lithium support about this two years ago. It was always 'we will restart the application, that should fix it'. But it never did so I would have to email them again and again and again ad nauseam. I am surprised that the issue is still lingering though.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@jaread83 Odd how I'm not surprised at what you say above.

Is there anyone able to direct an email to these people on the off chance that they'll read it and act on it?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi @Mook 

AS @MauriceC has mentioned and @jaread83 has echoed, many issues have been raised to the product owners, but few of them have actually been fixed.  We were told that they are the best in the forum industry ... well I would hate to be using anyone which is deemed worse!

Much of the good usability we see here has been crafted by Jack's creative use / customisation of the skin.  In the SU group we used to joke at his 'cosmetic surgery' skills with the skin here lamenting that fact that he could not prove the bones or the flesh of the product.  Without appearing to detract from anything that Jack did, for a customer to be an award winner for product enhancement year after year says much about the product owners.

As for the its still read issue, we chased this for months, it came and it went ... and returned again.  The best angle I recall us getting on this is that it is a cache issue.

In comparison to the hash made of the edit post screen (so much of the functionality has been borked) problems with read status might be seen as a trivial irritation?

All of that said, I do not believe that Plusnet has touched this service since the day Jack left ... it still says (C) 2018 in the page footer!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

I noticed the Copyright too in fact I think I may have mentioned it at one point. But your comment about the Award is very true and you would have thought that when something is reported by an award winner they should take notice.

If they are saying this issue is down to caching then it implies that their load balancing isn't what it should be, but we've been here before with discussions about that very thing.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Seems to be getting worse for me, I've already had to mark everything as read twice today..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@dvorak 

That's interesting as you seem to have the opposite problem to me. Could it point to an account with the higher mod permissions than standard user account with usual permissions. Just wondering.

The mods have access to accounts with standard permissions I believe - is that correct? Just wondering if you have tried it on one of those to see if behaves differently for you?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Based on previous evidence, it seems more to do with which instance of the service you are connected to.  IIRC I saw the issue / not have the issue concurrently on two different devices.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran

Fair enough @Townman 

I only really use these forums on my Mac Mini though and no other device, hardly ever use it on my moblie for example. Just to clarify.

If I can help out with testing it further then someone can feel free to contact me.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The Super Users and mods used to do a lot of new functionality testing.  Now I think that Lithium just roll out maintenance releases with no clear release notifications.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hey guys. Is this issue still ongoing? I’ve been trying to replicate this. When I go to the unread posts Here and open up a thread then go back to that list, it’s no longer showing which indicates I’ve read it. Is this now expected behaviour? Or am I missing something? Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran

Bit bad of me to post at 4am, but for some reason I can't sleep tonight. I will try and get some sleep where I can, hate those days where you end up sleeping during the day. Oh well.

Sorry back on topic, tomorrow when it gets to less silly o'clock when some new posts come on here I will try and give you examples and screenshots if it helps.

Basically for example, I think it is the new icon which gets cleared for all posts. So say you have 8 posts you haven't read and you read 1 of them - it disappears for the other 7. Not just for the one you have actually read.

I noticed it was still happening yesterday. I post back with an example a bit later. 

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've had up to 3 threads stuck at the top of my 'Unread' list recently.

For no apparent reason they will eventually disappear, usually within an hour or so.

None today so far.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alex
Community Veteran

Here are a couple of screenshots.

The first one is what I had when I logged in today - that is fine.

I didn't exactly test it the way I wanted - I accidently closed the tab and had to log in again.

However another side to this bug is it clears the 'New' flag for all the posts - I haven't read any of them yet.

I will try and provide an example of where if you read one post, it clears the 'New' flag for all the others. I will post back a bit later today.

So if I can help in any way then let me know.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am using the forums on my Mac, not my PC. It is right next to me as well so I can switch to that as well if it will help.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 2.59.38 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-24 at 3.04.56 pm.png

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The "new" flag on the NOTIFICATION feed has always worked like that and is not the "Unread posts bug" which has come and gone.  The way the notification page works ... is the way it works.  @jaread83 put some cosmetic modifications in to the CSS for that page, so that on returning to that page (and seeing the "New" flags removed) you can discern which ones you have (and by implication have not) viewed by the differing appearance of the link rendering.

The "unread posts bug" refers to a post remaining to appear to be "unread" when you have read it.  It can also refer to a situation where a board indicates that there are "unread posts" when there are none.