cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

Two and a half hours and only concluded by me using a blunt instrument is a funny definition of immediate!
Reconnecting didn't work - I'd already tried that before I got desperate and tried the realm switch.
Rather than disagreeing with me when I know damn well exactly what happened and it is documented I suggest that you should expend your efforts on determining why it didn't work as intended.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

Re: Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

Do you happen to know which gateways you hit each time you reconnected? We are a little out of balance and some endpoints were very busy last night. I suspect this is what gave you the slow speeds tbh. I'm going to do some testing here though to make sure.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Unfortunately no.
I looked at the graphs (not realising they were broken) - if some of them were indicating potential problems I would have then checked my gateway and tried gateway hopping.
I've been on pcl-ag05 since about 10:45pm - was that busy last night?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Incidently, does this imply that the Pro add-on is beneficial in reducing the impact on a user when the system is out of balance?
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: jelv

Doesn't look too bad on there for late evening. Does that coincide with your speed returning to 'normal', or were speeds low on there too?
Mand
Grafter

Incidently, does this imply that the Pro add-on is beneficial in reducing the impact on a user when the system is out of balance?

To a certain extent, but you'd still see reduced speeds across the board if the pipe is busy enough (as seems to be demonstrated by your experience).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Mand

Doesn't look too bad on there for late evening. Does that coincide with your speed returning to 'normal', or were speeds low on there too?

That coincides with speeds returning to normal.
I've since reconnected a few times but seem to be always hitting pcl-something - any reason for that (here's betting the next one will not be pcl!)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

With hindsight, between 8:15 when I activated Pro add-on and 10:45 when it finally kicked in I should have wiresharked something to prove it wasn't working.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Is removal of the add-on 'instantaneous' and if so what happens with the billing?
Mand
Grafter

It's removed as immediately as it's added ;). Billing for it is stopped immediately but you'd need to manually request a refund of the part-month fee at the moment.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

So I could remove it, check that I can wireshark some silver or lower packets, put it back on and check that they are now gold - in theory!
Mand
Grafter

In theory you could. Although the network isn't as busy now so I wouldn't expect the same drop in performance if/when you remove it. That may or may not make the test more useful, depends on what you're looking for I suppose.
I will be looking to test the service offer changes later on today to see how immediate the changes really are.
WWWombat
Grafter

jelv - I like the way you trust the billing platform to be smart enough to not charge a second time  Wink
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That was going to be my next question!
Mand
Grafter

You'd be charged again (this is the way the add-on system works). What we'd like to happen is you should get an automated refund when you cancel the original add-on, but that's not the case right now and the refund would need to be manual.
JEB
Grafter

I'm thinking of changing from the legacy Premier Option 1 product which I am currently on to Fibre Extra Pro.  I use Usenet quite a bit and was wondering if anyone could give me an indication of the real world speeds I will see on Usenet during peak hours, say 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM?  I know that Usenet traffic is managed as gold traffic, I am just uncertain what the real world speeds will be like. 

Cheers

James