cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

Mand
Grafter

Re: Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

Hi there,
If you take the Pro add-on it will be line speed.
Standard Extra Fibre limits are shown here.
JEB
Grafter

Re: Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

Thanks for the reply Mand.
Can I just clarify - I appreciate on Pro there is no artificial throttling, however titanium traffic does take priority.  Speeds are also, of course, also dependent on the how busy the whole network is as a whole.  I am assuming that in practice I will not get my line rate of about 4.6MB/s during peak hours.  I was just interested in what sort of speeds people are seeing in practice on Usenet on peak.  If you are telling me I will get line speeds in practice 24/7 I will change products today!

James
Epyon
Grafter

You will see full speed at peak times unless you're exchange is completely congested.
JEB
Grafter

Thanks.
I assume if I change to Fibre Extra from my existing Premier Option 1 account through the portal the system will realise that I am already a fibre trial user and won't do anything silly like putting a cease and re-provision on my line? Also reading through this thread leads me to believe that the change will occur from my next billing date and I should only add the Pro addon after my next billing date rather than at the same time as I change package.  Is this correct?

Cheers

James
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: JEB

Thanks.
I assume if I change to Fibre Extra from my existing Premier Option 1 account through the portal the system will realise that I am already a fibre trial user and won't do anything silly like putting a cease and re-provision on my line?

A lot of the back-end processes are manual at present but yes, the system should handle the situation gracefully.
Also reading through this thread leads me to believe that the change will occur from my next billing date and I should only add the Pro addon after my next billing date rather than at the same time as I change package.  Is this correct?

Yes, you wouldn't be able to add the Pro add-on to Premier anyway AFAIK.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JEB
Grafter

Thanks Bob.
I have now requested that my account is changed.  When it is changed (and also when I add Pro) will I need to disconnect / reconnect for the different traffic management profiles to activate or not?

James
stevewilk
Dabbler

Can you add pro to a fibre package? as that's not very clear on the plusnet site.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes you can but I agree it isn't clear at all
stevewilk
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
Yes you can but I agree it isn't clear at all

I did phone PN CS this morning before posting and they said yes you can at 1st then I asked would this affect your allowance as with the old pro after being on hold for 5mins was then told you couldn't add pro? so now very confused.
Had FTTC fitted on the 12th after calling PN CS they have now changed my package on the account page as it was still showing the old one and the add on option for pro is still there.
I think the PN CS staff should be properly trained on the products! don't think it's the front line peoples fault.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You can definitely add the 'Pro Add-on' to fibre products (as well as the non-fibre ones). Various sources of information confirm this, for example the item headed I can’t get fibre where I live, have you made any other changes? in the Fibre Launch FAQ says
[quote=http://community.plus.net/fibre_launch_faq/#30]
Yes, we’ve also taken the decision to stop selling our ‘Plusnet Pro’ package. Don’t worry though, because customers are now given the option of paying an Extra £5/mnth for a ‘Pro experience’. This ‘add-on’ is offered on a monthly basis and is available to both fibre and non-fibre customers subscribed to our Value, Extra, Value Fibre and Extra Fibre products.
On the expected speeds page, if you expand the Plusnet Pro Add-on item you will see …
Plusnet Pro is an Add-On for broadband customers on Plusnet Value, Extra, Value Fibre or Extra Fibre.

… and everything is 'line speed' 24x7.
The add-on has no effect on bandwidth, that remains unchanged from that of the underlying product.
The CS Agents have been trained in the new products (PUG have seen the briefing material), but the clash of names with legacy-Pro and Pro add-on perhaps doesn't help. Something for the Digital Care Team and Marketing to look into alongside reviewing information presented on the website.
David
David
stevewilk
Dabbler

Thanks David
How long does it take to activate from taking pro as a add on and do you have to reboot modem/router?
Also can you just confirm it dosen't lower the GB allowance.
Thanks
Steve
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The Plusnet Pro add-on should take effect immediately as far as I'm aware, with a pro-rata charge for the rest of the billing month added to your account. I assume the connection to Plusnet (PPP session) would have to be dropped and reconnected to enable the new traffic management profile, though I would expect that to be automatic (note: router restart not needed). The router log should show this (eg PPP down, PPP up), and disconnect/reconnect through the router's web interface can always be done if in doubt. But give it a few minutes to activate.
There are a number of posts earlier in this thread to the effect that adding the Pro add-on does not lower GB available and this paragraph …
[quote=http://usergroup.plus.net/2011-product-refresh.php]
The Pro add-on may also be added with Fibre, again retaining the underlying product's bandwidth.
… from PUG's front page news article would be nonsense if it did. Rest assured the legacy Plusnet Pro package with its 20GB limit is no more.
David
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have now requested that my account is changed.  When it is changed (and also when I add Pro) will I need to disconnect / reconnect for the different traffic management profiles to activate or not?

No, you shouldn't have to disconnect/reconnect.
Quote from: stevewilk
Can you add pro to a fibre package? as that's not very clear on the plusnet site.

Yes you can.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

JEB
Grafter

Thanks for the clarification Bob.
I have just had a call from a very polite customer service rep to process the account change.  There was some confusion at first about charges but when I explained that I was a trial FTTC user that was fine.  The rep did say that I would be subject to a new 18 month contract and also checked with her supervisor, who said the same, when I said that this was not correct.  In the end I didn't bother arguing because I have no intention of leaving, but just thought I would mention it for staff training purposes.
As an aside I note my usage page has gone weird, e.g. my free usage is "-18277176.81KB".  I assume this is just due to the account change and is nothing to be concerned about.

James
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have just had a call from a very polite customer service rep to process the account change.  There was some confusion at first about charges but when I explained that I was a trial FTTC user that was fine.  The rep did say that I would be subject to a new 18 month contract and also checked with her supervisor, who said the same, when I said that this was not correct.  In the end I didn't bother arguing because I have no intention of leaving, but just thought I would mention it for staff training purposes.

I've just written off the 18 month contract on your account, will have a word with the rep you spoke to.
As an aside I note my usage page has gone weird, e.g. my free usage is "-18277176.81KB".  I assume this is just due to the account change and is nothing to be concerned about.

*scratches head*
I've seen this before but I can't remember why it happened...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team