Launch of new Plusnet Fibre Products - 80/20 and 250GB usage allowance

KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Launch of new Plusnet Fibre Products - 80/20 and 250GB usage allowance

Quote from: houlton23
Quote from: momsieden
arent we supposed to be up to 20mbps uplaod ?Huh

PN put you on 40/10 if your line estimate is below 40Mbps, as there is no benefit to you and it costs PN more per month.

First I've heard of this, especially as the estimates can be very conservative. Are you saying that if someone with a BT download speed estimate less than 40Mb actively opts to upgrade to the new Extra 80/20 package, Plusnet will only activate a 40/10 service (presumably with the increased 250GB allowance)?
houlton23
Grafter

@KevinG
It's on the FAQ:
My line won’t support speeds above 38Mbps, can I still move to the new Extra Fibre product to take advantage of the increased usage allowance?
Yes you can, we’ll only upgrade you to the faster speeds if we think your line is capable of it. You can still benefit from the increased usage allowance though.

Edit: I don't know for definite that the criteria is a BT estimate below 40Mbps, but that seems to be the only logical conclusion?
KevinG
Rising Star

That's interesting - the BT Wholesale speed estimate is the only thing they could use at time of sign-up. I hope PN is willing to be flexible and give it a try if someone believes their line is capable of better.
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
The pages have now been updated:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_experience.shtml

Thanks for the links Chris
One idea that has come to mind is whether Plusnet would consider raising the rate limiting across other products both current and legacy? As Fibre products would have the ability to use the most data in a given time I would expect far less strain on capacity and would be more attractive for those with or considering Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It wasn't just the fibre products that had the rate limits changed, all currently sold products were updated.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
KevinG
Rising Star

My product change has completed and my billing date has passed but on the second day of my new billing month I'm still getting this on the usage page:
Sorry, there's nothing to show at the moment.
This might be because your account is new, or your usage has been reset for a new billing period.
It can take up to 2 hours for your usage to show up - please try again later.
Is this because I haven't actually used anything this month? (I'm away at the moment.)
dsw
Grafter

If you haven't used it then KevinG then that would make sense.
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
It wasn't just the fibre products that had the rate limits changed, all currently sold products were updated.

Yes, just checked that thanks. What about legacy products though? I can see that Plusnet want people to move onto current products but would be a good idea to allow all customers regardless of product to benefit from rate limit rises.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

I'm considering upgrading from Value to Extra, if only for the extra allowance (as the kids are starting to eat into the 120Gb!).
However will I have to change router to get the best out of the speed increase?  I have a Netgear N150 Wireless router that I'm quite happy with (previously supplied by PN), and I don't use the wireless on it as I have a Homeplug 200 Wireless Extender elsewhere in the house, and I use all 4 LAN ports.  Will it cope with the speed increase?
-Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
houlton23
Grafter

The Netgear will cope but the 200Mbps homeplugs will become the bottleneck.
I have some TP-Link 200Mbps homeplugs and I get ~ 45-50Mbps through them.
What is your speed estimate?
lorisarvendu
Grafter

How do I get a speed estimate?  I'm currently getting 32Mbps both at the router and beyond the Homeplugs.
The Homeplugs won't be an issue anyway, as we're halfway through a building extension and will have Cat5 wiring all the way through the house.  The only Homeplug that will remain is the Wireless extender, and that only provides about 25Mbps max anyway.
A tortoise? What's that?
houlton23
Grafter

You'll be fine on the speed front then Smiley
You can get an estimate by entering your phone number here.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Ah, I thought that was just a vague "yes you can get FTTC", so it's the actual estimate then.  
Well, it says people have reported getting 63.5, which is just a tad
under double what I'm getting now.  The cabinet is about 150-200 yards away.
A tortoise? What's that?
Chris
Legend

Quote from: The
. What about legacy products though? I can see that Plusnet want people to move onto current products but would be a good idea to allow all customers regardless of product to benefit from rate limit rises.

It's unlikely we'll make significant changes to legacy products, the rate limits are there on the new products and are available to be switched over to.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Quote from: lorisarvendu
I'm considering upgrading from Value to Extra, if only for the extra allowance (as the kids are starting to eat into the 120Gb!).
However will I have to change router to get the best out of the speed increase?  I have a Netgear N150 Wireless router that I'm quite happy with (previously supplied by PN), and I don't use the wireless on it as I have a Homeplug 200 Wireless Extender elsewhere in the house, and I use all 4 LAN ports.  Will it cope with the speed increase?

As you're using the ethernet side of the router, it's unlikely you'd see much benefit from taking the new router.