Monday 1st September 2014 Login | Register

80/20 (up to 76Mbps) Community FAQ

2012 at 09:00 by Bob Pullen

This FAQ is primarily aimed at existing Plusnet Fibre customers and those that participated in our early trials. It’s been written to accompany the launch of Plusnet’s new ‘Extra Fibre’ product, which boasts download speeds of up to 76Mbps down and 19.5Mbps up.

Contents

Looking to get Plusnet Fibre?
Already got Plusnet Fibre?
I’m on the old 38Mbps Extra Fibre product, will I be moved to the new 76Mbps Extra Fibre automatically?
I’m on the old 38Mbps Extra Fibre product, can I switch to the new 76Mbps Extra Fibre?
I’m a 38Mbps Value Fibre customer, can I upgrade to the new Extra Fibre product?
Will I get a new router?
What model router do you supply?
Why do I have to agree to a new 18 months contract?
How can I find out how fast my line will go?
My line won’t support speeds above 38Mbps, can I still move to the new Extra Fibre product to take advantage of the increased usage allowance?
If I switch to the new Extra Fibre product when will my account change take place?
If I switch to the new 76Mbps Extra Fibre product and have problems then can I move back?
Are there any installation costs when upgrading from a 38Mbps service to a 76Mbps service and does it require an engineer visit?
When will I get my free upload speed increase?
Can I jump the queue and request my upgrade now?
I took part in Plusnet’s 80/20 (up to 76Mbps) trial?
I’m one of the 80/20 (up to 76Mbps) trialists, do I get to stay on the up to 76Mbps product?
When will you be downgrading my service?
If I move to the new Extra Fibre product, will I still be subject to a new 18 month contract?
Can I still get a new router?
Looking to switch to Plusnet?

Looking to get Plusnet Fibre?

Have a read of our Plusnet Fibre FAQ if you’re looking to take advantage of our super-fast fibre service for the first time, or if you’re yet to move to Plusnet. To find out if Plusnet Fibre is available in your area, put your telephone number or postcode in our Fibre Availability Checker and we’ll tell you straight away.

[ TOP ]

Already got Plusnet Fibre?

I’m on the old 38Mbps Extra Fibre product, will I be moved to the new 76Mbps Extra Fibre automatically?
No, you’ll remain on your current product and the terms of your contract will stay the same including the price you pay us each month. You’ll continue to receive the best speed your line is capable of up to 38Mbps and your usage allowance will stay the same. As a token of good will, we’ll be increasing your upload speed from 1.9Mbps to up to 9.5Mbps for free.

I’m on the old 38Mbps Extra Fibre product, can I switch to the new 76Mbps Extra Fibre?
Absolutely! To take advantage of the increased speed (where available), increased usage and new price point, just head over to our website where you can upgrade online. Changing to the new product will renew your 18-month fibre contract.

I’m a 38Mbps Value Fibre customer, can I upgrade to the new Extra Fibre product?
Of course, the terms are exactly the same as those for 38Mbps Extra Fibre customers (see above).

Will I get a new router?
If you want one. When you choose to upgrade your account you’ll be asked if you’d like us to send you a new router. Postage and packaging costs £4.99. The router’s free as long as you stay with us for the duration of your contract.

What model router do you supply?
We’ll send you a brand new Technicolor 582n, especially modified to make the most out of the increased speed.

Why do I have to agree to a new 18 months contract?
Our new Extra Fibre product is great value for money and offers some of the fastest speeds available on the market today. This 76Mbps service costs more to provide than its 38Mbps younger sister. An optional router is supplied when upgrading to the new product and we’ve more than doubled the usage allowance. We’re also increasing the upload speed for *all* of our existing fibre customers for free. Renewing your contract helps assure the future revenue we need to continue to offer the great value, reliable service and excellent customer support that we hope you’ve come to expect.

How can I find out how fast my line will go?
We’ll provide you with a speed estimate before you commit to anything as part of the online upgrade journey. Alternatively, you can check what speed your line can support by entering your telephone number and/or postcode into the BT Wholesale Availability Checker.

My line won’t support speeds above 38Mbps, can I still move to the new Extra Fibre product to take advantage of the increased usage allowance?
Yes you can, we’ll only upgrade you to the faster speeds if we think your line is capable of it. You can still benefit from the increased usage allowance though.

If I switch to the new Extra Fibre product when will my account change take place?
We’ll place the order to increase your speeds immediately but this and your account change won’t complete until your next billing date. If your billing date falls within 48 hours of your upgrade request then please be mindful that the order to increase your speed takes at least one working day to complete.

If I switch to the new 76Mbps Extra Fibre product and have problems then can I move back?
Whilst it’s possible to move you back to the 38Mbps service, we’re confident that we’ll be able to resolve any problems that you encounter on the new Extra Fibre product. You can downgrade to Value Fibre at any time (the change will be scheduled for your next billing date). However if you choose to go back to our Extra product, you will be subject to a new 18 month contract.

Are there any installation costs when upgrading from a 38Mbps service to a 76Mbps service and does it require an engineer visit?
The speed upgrade is free and *doesn’t* require an engineer visit (the changes are made remotely).

When will I get my free upload speed increase?
We’ll be increasing all existing fibre customers’ upload speed from 1.9Mbps to up to 9.5Mbps for free. The upgrades will happen over several weeks beginning 14th September.

Can I jump the queue and request my upgrade now?
No, but we’ll do our best to notify you when your upgrade will be getting placed nearer the time.

[ TOP ]

I took part in Plusnet’s 80/20 (up to 76Mbps) trial?

I’m one of the 80/20 (up to 76Mbps) trialists, do I get to stay on the up to 76Mbps product?
The 80/20 (up to 76Mbps) trial has officially ended now. If you would like to keep the 80/20 service then you must upgrade to the new Extra Fibre product. You can do this online here. Those who do not upgrade will have their speed downgraded back to 38Mbps down and 9.5Mbps up.

When will you be downgrading my service?
Trialists have a month to decide whether or not to keep the 80/20 (up to 76Mbps) service and move to the new Extra Fibre product. We aim to downgrade the service for those who don’t want to keep it on or around 14th September.

If I move to the new Extra Fibre product, will I still be subject to a new 18 month contract?
Your participation in this trial has provided invaluable feedback, allowing us to launch the new product with greater confidence in its success. To say thank you, we’re allowing all 80/20 (up to 76Mbps) trialists the opportunity to switch to the new Extra Fibre product without having to commit to another contract. In order to take advantage of this offer all you need to do is request a change to the new Extra Fibre product between now and 13th September and we’ll take care of the rest.

Can I still get a new router?
Yes, you can choose to take a new router as part of the upgrade journey. Postage and packaging costs £4.99 and the router is free as long as you stay with us for 12 months following its despatch (£40 repayable otherwise).

[ TOP ]

Looking to switch to Plusnet?

Switching to Plusnet is really easy. You can also find out how much you’d save by visiting our broadband comparison page. Why not check out some of the awards Plusnet have won whilst you’re at it.

[ TOP ]
bobpullen

This entry was posted by Bob Pullen on Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 at 9:00 am and is tagged with . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed on this post.

Plusnet Referrals

Photos

photo photo photo

View More

Forums

Users online: 289

• Total Topics: 129228
  • Total Posts: 1140745
  • Total Members: 26713

Visit the Forums

Plusnet

Force9

Metronet

Free-Online

Madasafish

PAYH

Just The Name

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE

Community Site News.. is powered by WordPress

Add to Technorati Favourites