Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useless Plusnet Now ??

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Useless Plusnet Now ??

First on this morning (router always on ) and speed up to 1.9 which  actually is acceptable at my distance  Strange that things generally improve when I raise the matter  I don't really want to spend more or change things Thank you all

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us @stathe and I'm glad to hear that things have improved for you. If / when you next re-contract, it might be worth asking our Customer Options Team to send out a new and upgraded router. Given the length of time you have remaining on your current contract, I wouldn't really be able to issue one today. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
stathe
Rising Star

Since this morning it has deteriorated again

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @stathe

When you say it's deteriorated, can you elaborate on this at all? So is it the speeds that have dropped, or is the connection intermittent? Testing the line this evening has found that the connection has been stable for the past two days with no drops, and speeds are coming through at 2336Kbps, which is within your estimates.

Also, are the devices that you've experienced these issues on today wired or wireless?

Adam
stathe
Rising Star

At this moment it is rather slow I have not disconnected yet  The signal is not intermittent just rather slow  "been busy"so not tried Thank you  both wired and and wi fi I have a box full of routers and this is the best I have  Netgear N600  DGND3700v2

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks @stathe

Do you have some form of Helpdesk page on that router which shows the current data rate?

Adam
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There is no baseline in this post from which to determine if what you are getting is or is not reasonable for your line.  @adam945 's request for router stats is a good step in that direction, however a full set of information would be helpful please...

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics, download the .PDF report and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Check the Plusnet user portal for the "Current Line Speed" from the Broadband Status page, which is particularly relevant to users with static IP addresses.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stathe
Rising Star

RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 9255689 10094230 0 136185 21398 06:10:52
LAN1 Link down 3134705 2337303 0 8741 2139 78:13:35
LAN2 100M/Full
LAN3 1000M/Full
LAN4 Link down
WLAN b/g/n 145M 11823603 7270268 0 6587 3961 78:13:04
WLAN a/n 300M 453132 221645 0 530 247 78:12:58

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Link Rate 1839 Kbps 875 Kbps
Line Attenuation 69.5 dB 44.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.1 dB 6.0 dB

stathe
Rising Star

In the past I have been linked with a much smaller noise  margin around 3  as far as I remember

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is really helpful.  Those stats suggest that the line is 4.7km and the fact that ADSL works at all at that length is fairly amazing!

Is there anything in the router interface which tells you which modulation is in use (ADSL / ADSL2 / ADSL2+)?  The router log might indicate the modulation mode in the start-up dialogue.

The other resources will indicate the physical distance from the exchange - we need to confirm that is comparable to the electrical distance as implied by the line's attenuation.

Does the availability report indicate if FTTC is available to you?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@stathe wrote:

In the past I have been linked with a much smaller noise  margin around 3  as far as I remember

A 3dB margin on such a long line is not likely to be very stable (lots of disconnections).  6dB would be optimistic at that line's length.

stathe
Rising Star

Yes
No

Encapsulation              

Login  

Connection Mode                            
Idle Timeout (minutes)

Internet IP Address
Get Dynamically from ISP
Use Static IP Address
IP Address ...

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
 Get Automatically from ISP
 Use These DNS Servers
Primary DNS ...
Secondary DNS ...

NAT (Network Address Translation)
 Enable
 Disable

Router MAC Address
Use Default Address
Use Computer MAC Address
Use This MAC Address

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@stathe wrote:

In the past, so was I! Those days have gone (on ADSL 2+) where I live and I am closer to the exchange than you. Around here the environment has changed, I suspect you too will be lucky to get by nowadays on anything better than 6dB margin. 

stathe
Rising Star

This morning it is very slow and I have not switched on or off  I am sure that some time ago my noise margin was much lower 3 or 4 and it worked fine I have had this discussion before but cant access my notes to Plusnet very far back but know I have been there before  It is my intention to switch it on and off later

stathe
Rising Star

Why should things be worse now than they used to be ?? Everything should improve