cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower speeds

deanmrd
Grafter

Slower speeds

Ok so yesterday I contact support as my internet speeds has seem to have dropped a lot in the this week

internet speeds.JPG

He said they was getting an engineer out this week on Thursday but The are no tickets for my contract to the support team?

I got a text from a company I've never heard of QubeGB confirm my appointment.

Also he said that I had renewed my contract with plusnet I did a new contract in May 20 2021 for 18 months should end soon But yet my prices has already increased as you can see from the bill above my contract should end 20th January 2023

See support Id 214493625 for said contract start. 

Plusnet Contract.JPG

above image says I don't have a contract

Can someone look into all above 

Thanks

Dean

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
deanmrd
Grafter

Re: Slower speeds

OK so
Engineer been and advised that the is some kind of fault between our house and the exchange definitely external fault.

So that was all he could do need Openreach to look into the external fault.
Tags (1)
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @deanmrd, thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm really sorry for the fact the agent you spoke with did not pop a ticket on the account for us to monitor. 

Saying that, I've been able to locate the engineer notes, which from my side at least, look incorrect. The engineer has advised that there's a fault on the line, though tests aren't picking anything up. Instead, the line is banded at 44Mbps for no obvious reason other than a couple of drops in connection. 

Going forward, I've raised a DLM reset, and have also sent you an email regarding your contract, which you'll also be able to see here

Let me know if you have any further questions at all. Smiley 

Capture.PNG

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
deanmrd
Grafter

Hi Adam I've sent a reply via my ticket on plusnet

Thanks

DeanO
deanmrd
Grafter

Follow advice on the phone to reboot router a few after we spoke as your systems was updating, still getting slower speed than advised.

13041815397[1].png

Thanks 

Dean

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Router stats sync speed and SNRM are for more informative than data speed tests.  It is also useful to check out the basics...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us, the line is still banded to be honest, we need to allow the given lead time for BT Wholesale / Openreach to reset it. Let us know if things haven't improved by Thursday / Friday. Smiley 

Adam
deanmrd
Grafter

Keep Getting misinformation this morning it's worse 27.81 down this it direct connected not WiFi

As for other message about doing a quiet phone line test we had an engineer come out to check the line in the house and he said it's an external fault.

Thanks

DeanO
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

A regular QLT can be helpful in profiling intermittent issues, as can be running router stats 24x7 if your router will work with that software.  See the link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I do apologise for that, as I said however, the banding request hasn't even been picked up yet, once it has and the banding is removed, we'll have a better idea on what's going on here. 

Adam
deanmrd
Grafter

yeah My router is not on that list for supported routers I have the asus rt5300

deanmrd
Grafter

However it does have its own speed test built-in

speedtest1.JPG

Then when you click on the good it tells you your speed and what it means see below.

speedtest info.JPG

Strange as fibre is sold as you can stream from multiple devices at the same time yet it says here it only good for standard browsing,

Thanks 

Dean 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Dean,

It all depends on whose "bible" you read - see What internet speed do you need? Find internet plans on CNET - CNET

How much internet do you use?

These days, with so many people working from home, a lot of us are using more internet than we're used to. However, that isn't the case for everyone, which you'll want to keep in mind as you're shopping for an internet plan. 

If you work from home, stream lots of high-resolution videos or regularly play games online, you'll likely need more internet speed than someone who casually goes on social media platforms and gets their TV from a cable provider. 

Different activities require different internet capabilities -- here's a small chart to help give you an idea:

INTERNET SPEED RECOMMENDATIONS

Activity Usage required Our recommended speed
Email 1Mbps 1Mbps
Web browsing 3-5Mbps 5-10Mbps
Social media 3-5Mbps 10Mbps
Video calls 3-5Mbps 10-20Mbps
HD streaming 5-10Mbps 10-20Mbps
Online gaming 3–6Mbps 25-35Mbps
4K streaming 25Mbps 35Mbps

I suggest that the guidance provided by your router is more than a tad conservative!

Whatever, again that is data rates, not the line stats which tell much more about what is happening.  Try looking at DSLstats as an alternative monitor - see DSLstats Home page - I have NOT looked to see if it works with your router.

deanmrd
Grafter

I would go always for the fastest speeds now as a few examples kids downloading the game updates. The average call of duty patch is 70GB now than we have others streaming Netflix or prime video, once this starts to happen you soon see all of the internet speed disappear.

internet tech has fallen behind unless you are in London or a major city, I look forward to fibre to the home (FTTP)

Thanks 

Dean