Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem accesssing Quick Books over a plusnet connection

FIXED
snowbrother
Dabbler

Re: Problem accesssing Quick Books over a plusnet connection

@MisterW Thansk for that, I think I'm following! At both Home and in my office we have a HUB 1 would it be any use updating the Hub to a HUB 2 and altering the DNS on it as an earlier comment on this mailer?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

At both Home and in my office we have a HUB 1 would it be any use updating the Hub to a HUB 2 and altering the DNS on it as an earlier comment on this mailer?

@snowbrother Im not sure if the router DNS server on the Hub 2 still suffers from the same problem, but yes, being able to alter the DNS on it will get round the problem as it will effectively allow all connected clients to bypass the router DNS server.

@OrigAAmi can you confirm you also have a Hub 1 ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

snowbrother
Dabbler

@MisterW thanks for all your help @SammyM Is it possibel to get my HUB 1 replaced with a HUB2. I'm not bothered about it at home just need it in the office to hopefully get around this issue.

IanSG

I have exactly the same problem from around the same date.

OrigAAmi
Hooked

Hello @MisterW... For me, nslookup using 192.168.1.254 seemed to work fine.  It returned the same number of results as when using the other DNS servers (different addresses, same aliases x6).  And, in answer to your recent Q, I have a Hub 1.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

For me, nslookup using 192.168.1.254 seemed to work fine.

@OrigAAmi  in that case I'm confused as to why your Android mobile doesnt work ? since it would normally be using the same router DNS

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

@OrigAAmi wrote:

Hi SammyM,

Hopefully this will help with investigations.  I worked with QuickBooks Online (QBO) engineers and we identified the issue as Plusnet DNS for the following domains involved in the login process at Intuit:
- accounts.platform.intuit.com
- csp.intuit.com

Fancy getting those engineers to register an account here and join the discussion? Wink

The DNS responses for both domains are fairly huge, and I wonder why there's a need for all the CNAME recursion? It won't take much overhead when using a router's DNS forwarder (which most will be doing) for the response to exceed the 512 byte threshold that @MisterW has referenced.

I suspect if you changed the DNS on your devices to Plusnet's servers it would work too (try 212.159.6.10 if you want to prove/disprove this). This points to the same place the Hub One does.

There are potential workarounds that we/Plusnet could suggest, but there will ultimately be other consumer routers that fall victim to a similar problem, so I would have thought it in Quick Books interest to avoid such a thing in the first place.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

snowbrother
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen 

@MisterW @SammyM @OrigAAmi I’ve tried the suggested dns change at home on my laptop which also couldn’t log on to quick books after changing the dns in the network settings on the MacBook it now connects to Quick Books so it appears to be fixed.

I’ll give it a try at the office later and let you know how that goes. Also as I can now log in I’ll forward a copy of this message to the quick books technical guys who are allegedly looking into the problem.

Thanks for your help