Did you mean: 

Problem accesssing Quick Books over a plusnet connection

FIXED
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Problem accesssing Quick Books over a plusnet connection

Ta, we are currently looking into this and as soon as I hear more, I will come back to you Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Is there any chance you can PM me screenshots of what you are seeing when you try to log in? I want to make sure we have more than enough to investigate it fully. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
DW3

Yes same problem here since last Wednesday.

All other websites are fine,but cannot access my quick book account.

Spoke to tech at Quickbooks and they confirmed it was our Plus-net internet Provider.

Hopefully Plus-net will resolve the problem soon?

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Can you Dm me some screenshots as well @DW3 ?

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
snowbrother
Dabbler

Hi I think I've just DM you some screenshots

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Can't #

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It's not showing @snowbrother so I have PM'd you to attach them Smiley

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Droppedtuba

Also been having this issue for over a week.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It's something we are investigating and when I hear anything I will get back to you. 

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
OrigAAmi
Hooked

Hi SammyM,

Hopefully this will help with investigations.  I worked with QuickBooks Online (QBO) engineers and we identified the issue as Plusnet DNS for the following domains involved in the login process at Intuit:
- accounts.platform.intuit.com
- csp.intuit.com

We found that these were not resolving to IP addresses, but when I changed the DNS server on my devices to public GOOGLE or OpenDNS servers, these worked correctly, and no issues with login and use of QBO. To show that we could not resolve the DNS using the PlusNet DNS (i.e., DNS to my local router), we did nslookup (terminal for Mac or Command Prompt for Windows), and it could not look up the IP address and gave this response (using my local router DNS: dsldevice.lan - IP 192.168.1.254) *** dsldevice.lan can't find accounts.platform.intuit.com: Unspecified error

All other DNS providers I tried worked correctly.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@OrigAAmi  I suspect this might be a similar problem to the Screwfix issue previously.

accounts.platform.intuit.com & csp.intuit.com do lookup correctly using the PN servers directly but return quite long results.

Could you possibly check and confirm that its just when using the router DNS that it fails

Use nslookup and specify the DNS server to be used

e.g

nslookup csp.intuit.com 212.159.13.49   - will use the Primary PN server

nslookup csp.intuit.com 213.120.234.38   - will use the Safeguard PN server

nslookup csp.intuit.com 192.168.1.254  - will use the default ( router built in forwarding DNS server )

NB I would do it myself but I dont currently have a Plusnet router connected

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

snowbrother
Dabbler

Hi @MisterW I don't understand a word of what this email says but I've gone to Terminal on my Mac and I've this is what I've entered and the result that have come back.

nslookup csp.intuit.co

Server:        192.168.1.254
Address:    192.168.1.254#53

nslookup csp.intuit.com

Address: 52.35.199.212

nslookup csp.intuit.com

;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.
;; Connection to 192.168.1.254#53(192.168.1.254) for csp.intuit.com failed: connection refused.

Hope it helps!

One point I can connect to Quickbooks using an ipad over my plusnet connection, the one that gave the results above in fact.

OrigAAmi
Hooked

Hi @MisterW , when I run those on my Windows laptop, they return "non-authoritative answers" as follows (I don't know if you want/need more detail):

• csp.intuit.com - 3 addresses and 6 Aliases
  • accounts.platform.intuit.com - 8 addresses and 5 Aliases

However, personally, I only have an issue logging into QuickBooks when connected to Plusnet wifi on my Android (mobile) phone.  And I'm not sure how to nslookup on a mobile, sorry.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@snowbrother  thanks for that. It looks very much like a similar problem to the Screwfix issue , in that the DNS result is too large , probably down to the number of aliases

@OrigAAmi dont woory about trrying it from your mobile , using a windows laptop via your PN wifi is fine. Can you confirm that the nslookup using the 192.168.1.254 (router DNS) fails in the same way as @snowbrother s result

For information

The basic DNS protocol allows query and response sizes of up to 512 bytes when using UDP; it is necessary to use TCP or an extension to the DNS protocol to accommodate larger queries or responses.  The "truncated" messages from nslookup indicate that nslookup attempted to perform a lookup using UDP, the response was truncated (probably because the response was more than 512 bytes), and so nslookup retried the request using TCP.

The problem is that the code used in many consumer routers doesnt work correctly when reverting to TCP and so the lookup fails.

@snowbrother it could well be that the Ipad is configured with different DNS settings and so is not using the router default DNS server.

I'll go and check what the solution was in the Screwfix case but I think it was to persuade them to reduce the number of aliases they were using.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

snowbrother
Dabbler

Hi @OrigAAmi I've also run them through the terminal nslookup on my mac and didn't get the IP Addresses as @MisterW message