cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet, No Help, No Hope

Alan1001
Dabbler

No Internet, No Help, No Hope

Sorry this is a long post - just skip to the last couple of paragraphs for the abridged version.

It was almost 2 weeks ago that my Plusnet Internet service died and this nightmare began.

First I tried the option of "text 'help' to this number" and waited but nothing happened - this should have been a hint of what was to follow.

The next day I phoned Plusnet Customer Support (the first of many calls - I have lost count of just how many) they ran some checks and concluded it was a line fault. A BT Openreach engineer visited and spent much of the next day at my house and the local Exchange but could not find any evidence of a line fault but as a precaution he did swap most of the routing of my phone line to the Exchange.

Back to Plusnet and a request for the problem to be escalated - but that was against policy - I needed a second visit from an engineer before they could do that. The engineer was booked for Saturday afternoon but didn't show, although he did appear unannounced on Sunday morning and unsurprisingly concluded the line was OK.

Back to Plusnet again - they finally agreed to escalate to their 'cat' team and also to send me a replacement router - I had already tried and failed with two of my own routers - so I wasn't hopeful it would help but was willing to try it.

A cat team member phoned me, ran some more tests and yes, you guessed it, concluded it was a line problem. I could now look forward to a visit from a 'Senior Engineer' and a wireless dongle would be posted to provide alternative Internet access while the 'line' problem was being fixed.

Next day I got a text message (in a format that I couldn't reply to) saying the problem had been fixed. It was evening when I got home from work (I should be working from home but that's hard without Internet connection) I checked and found broadband still dead.  I called Plusnet again to find the engineer visit had already been cancelled as the fault had been fixed and it was too late to rearrange. I asked for the problem to escalated to their management - was told they would call back - they didn't. Later I spoke to a more helpful Plusnet Customer Support person who rebooked the engineer appointment.

The 'Senior Engineer' turned out to be the same bloke from BT Openreach who had visited previously. During a phone conversation with him at the Exchange he did notice a crackling line, which he fixed - I suspect this was simply due to something that had been disturbed during previous visits - as this did not fix the broadband issue. And the Plusnet router was no help either.

The wireless dongle had also arrived but wasn't so helpful for use on the 2 desktop computers I use (it could only be plugged in one of them) and although it gave me internet access and I could receive e-mails I could not send e-mails.

Back to Plusnet again for another escalation request and another broken promise - I am still waiting for them to respond.

E-mail is rather important at the moment as I am just about to move house and just prior to the death of my broadband I received an e-mail from my solicitor advising me of a potential mining subsidence issue which I needed to forward to my surveyor. Only now I couldn't. When I finally found a convoluted method for forwarding this e-mail I got an auto-reply saying the surveyor had just left on holiday for 2 weeks.

So the current situation is I have been without Internet access for 12 days. After numerous conversations with representatives of Plusnet and visits from BT Openreach engineers I am no nearer to an understanding of the problem or a satisfactory resolution. There are numerous "fingers in the pie" from BT Openreach (for the line), BT Wholesale (for the exchange equipment) and Plusnet as the Internet ‘Service’ Supplier. The Plusnet customer service people are polite and friendly but out of their depth with complex issues and are unable or unwilling to provide access to anyone else in the organisation. There is no evidence of anyone at Plusnet coordinating the response. Far too much of my time has been wasted trying to get a resolution, my house purchase chain is on hold (and I am hoping it won’t break), my stress levels are through the roof, working from home has varied between difficult and impossible and I still can’t send e-mails.

Why do I write this? I have a forlorn hope that it might somehow reach someone at Plusnet with the skills needed to investigate and resolve what just might be a complex problem.

32 REPLIES 32
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Re: No Internet, No Help, No Hope

Hey there @Alan1001 that sounds grim! I recently went through a purchase of a house and it is stressful enough without having to add the stress of the broadband going down on top of that! 

So the CAT team are the main faults guys who have it at the minute but I will speak with them to get this picked up today for you!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
banjomir
Grafter
Fixes: 1

What an absolutely dire situation! I am in the same boat with my plusnet boradband being delayed and Plusnet blaming OpenReach. But when these type of situations keep being repeated with people signing up to Plusnet, It makes me wonder who is really at fault...

Whatever the case, it is utterly unacceptable.

Alan1001
Dabbler

Well the latest update from Plusnet is they are missing some information from the last visit from the BT Openreach engineer. They tell me the only way they can resolve this is by another visit from BT Openreach. It appears that Plusnet have no ability to communicate directly with BT Openreach. I am at loss to understand what this fourth visit will tell them that they have not learned from the previous three visits. And that visit will be on Friday, so no sign of this problem being resolved anytime soon.

banjomir
Grafter

That is unbelivable. Plusnet absolutely DOES have the ability to communicate with Openreach directly. So either Plusnet is failing to communicate, or Openreach engineers are absolutely incompetent. It is a hopeless situation with everyone relying on Openreach (who are now independant, BTW. No longer part of BT).

Alan1001
Dabbler

Unbelievable!!! I report broadband is not working to Plusnet, they arrange for an Openreach engineer to visit, they find there is no problem with the line. Plusnet still think this is an Openreach problem and schedule another engineer visit. I have now had four visits from Openreach engineers that have all concluded there is no problem with the line. This has been going on for 2½ weeks – is there anyone in Plusnet who can actually talk to Openreach and agree an action plan that will resolve this issue? So far there is no evidence that Plusnet have this capability. I can’t get beyond Customer Support who clearly don’t know how to resolve this issue.

banjomir
Grafter

At this point, you may as well cancel and go with another ISP...plusnet is absolutely hopeless.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Alan1001   not sure I understand your position. You say you reported a fault, but not what it is. You say Openreach come out and can't find the fault - do you not show them what the fault symptoms are?

The more information you can provide the more people on here and PN and Openreach can help - but it sounds like you have washed your hands and are sitting back just watching what PN and Openreach are doing!

Alan1001
Dabbler

Hi Mustrum, all help gratefully received. The fault is my broadband died completely 2½ weeks ago. I simply can't connect to anything. Openreach when they visit can see there is no Internet from my router but have checked the line and say it must be a Plusnet fault. Plusnet keep saying it must be a line fault. They can both see that I am getting no Internet.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Alan1001   that is very dissapointing.

How are you with logging into the router and posting pages on here? Which router do you have?

How is your phone line - is your number being reported if you dial 17070 and on option 2 is the line quiet?

Do you have another router to try?

Am surprised @willcutforth  has not come back with more info/help.

Alan1001
Dabbler

I have tried several routers all with no Internet connection. The Plusnet router showed an orange light and a red B, Logging on to this router would sometimes show an IP address but mostly just didn't connect. ASUS router showed DSL connection but no Internet connection. Openreach engineer checked for a quiet line while I was listening.

I really need someone from Plusnet to have a technical discussion with Openreach to agree a strategy to solve this. As the 'service provider' I don't understand why Plusnet cannot do this. I can't get beyond the Plusnet Customer Support.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

The Plusnet router showed an orange light and a red B

If you have a solid Orange , as opposed to flashing, then there's not a line fault, its either a routing or authentication problem.

The Openreach engineer should have been able to establish that and talk to their DCoE ( engineering dept ) to investigate

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Alan1001  is this for ADSL or FTTC?

Is the Asus router capable to FTTC?

Have you recently changed your password on the PN member centre?

And for now have you tried a factory reset on the PN router - find the little hole on the back, insert a suitable pin or similar and hold until the lights change. This will reset the username and password on the router, but if you are still on the PN router  management system it will change the router to the correct one.

If this does not work I have another way which may get you back online if you are able to try another username.

Alan1001
Dabbler

This is ADSL. It was the ASUS router that was working OK until 2½ weeks ago (the Plusnet router is new). No password (or any other) changes. Yes, I have tried numerous resets of both routers. I am open to further ideas.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Just sent you a PM @Alan1001