cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet HELP bot does not recognize my number?

dcdc
Grafter

Plusnet HELP bot does not recognize my number?

I was debugging some latency splikes and I texted 07400 008121 with HELP and it replied and I did the next step with my phone number but it is not recognized.

I have done this many times before and it used to work and often resolved my issues.

The only thing I can think of that changed is that I was "upgraded" recently and got a new plusnet router, and possibly moved over to some new subscription model or something. I still see my usual number on my account when I log in.

18 REPLIES 18
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Plusnet HELP bot does not recognize my number?

@dcdc If you are now on SoGEA, without a phone, the system can't cope. You will need to call in.

John
dcdc
Grafter

Strange. This is a new thing right? I used to be able to simply chat in and the bot did some checks.

jab1
Legend

@dcdc If, as I suggested above, you no longer have a phone service, then your 'phone number' is meaningless and as I also said, PN appear to have forgotten to put in place a replacement identifier for your connection.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

AFAIK The Bot is supposed to attempt to match the mobile number from which the text is sent, to a mobile registered on an account. If it can find a match it should automatically identify the account without requesting a landline number.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW It is obviously not doing that though - ISTR at least one other user having this problem.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yup!. Its been brought up and I'm not sure the reasons for its failure sometimes, have been established

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dcdc
Grafter

I *never* had a phone service. NEVER EVER.

Yet it used to work.

jab1
Legend

You must have had a phone connection, though - ADSL and FTTC both run over the copper which provided the phone service.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@dcdc 

As stated your ADSL / FTTC connection was controlled by a phone line with a number - even if you didn't use it.

You could try logging into your PN Members portal and under Account Details change your phone line number to your mobile number.

Brian

Edit Only do this if the upgrade was to FTTP. IF you went to a SOGEA account I'm not certain what would happen.

dcdc
Grafter

Yes, but I would *still* have that if that is the case and am not even aware of any phone number for whatever that is.

dcdc
Grafter

My phone number in my account is my cell phone number. I don't think I've ever known my "line" phone number.

jab1
Legend

If   you log into your account and click  the 'Manage Account' tab, the resulting page will detail the 'phone number' your service is/was provided over, although if you are on a SoGEA connection, as it appears you are, it is irrelevant.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

There's also a 'mobile number' field there.which is used for things like text message notifications for order status etc

That's probably the number the bot is trying to match

jab1
Legend

Is that field filled in correctly, though?

John