Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move x2

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: House move x2

I presume the ~6min. drop in the Noise Margin on the last graph was where you changed modem or filter.
That's interesting about the FEC errors, though I'm still not convinced about that v7 firmware, too many people with to many issues.
We really need to see the bits/tone bit loading, as there is definitely something not right with your line/exchange linecard.
I think RouterStats can produce that for the Netgear, but I'm not sure.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Yes, it can. I'll do that now.
Thanks again Smiley
Edit: Uploaded Bits/Tone graph - Does this help in any way?
I presume the ~6min. drop in the Noise Margin on the last graph was where you changed modem or filter.

Yes.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anotherone
Champion

That's a great help, and yuk, no wonder your speed is well down. There are a lot of mnissing tones higher up that should be there.
First do you live near to any MW radio transmitters?
Not forgetting to power down and wait several minutes when swapping things, can you try and get the bits/tone with the Thomson. DMT v7 should work with it, but I don't know if the bits/tone is available.
Mav

HI Chris & thanks for the reply.
I really do apprecaite the time you and others have spent helping me.
I can see a mast about 400/500 metres away - Not sure if its AM or something else. How do I tell?
I am wondering why you're suggesting getting the bits/tone for the Thomson. Is it to rule out a problem with the NetGear or just to see if the Thomson gives similar results. Either way, I will do as requested but meay be tomorrow before I can sort it out.
Have just Dl'ed the DMT tool and will look at that a little later.
The missing tones that you meantion - what does that mean? Is it a problem that can be sorted easily?
Cheers

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Anotherone
Champion

Two modem/routers giving more or less identical results is going to be needed to raise a fault but only if it's a fault not localised interference. The tones are missing because they are not useable, interference levels being too high at those frequencies or a line fault. I somehow don't think it's an exchange issue because your were initially on ADSL1, now ADSL2+ so probably different Linecard.
Re Transmitter - try a local search, otherwise a photo is good - probably Mobile phone if single mast.
Mav

Haven't been able to swap routers yet - probably later today but I can confirm that the mast cannot be seen from the house - dunno why I even thought it could be lol  Cheesy
It's close to the beach but high up and around 1.5km away - it looks like a mobile phone mast. Doubt if that would affect things - yes?
I'll report back soon with Thomson DMT results.

Mav

Sorry for the long delay in sorting the Bits/Tone graph using the Thomson. I have met with  problems I've not been able to resolve.
Firstly, DMT Tools (v7.35) does not support appear to support Firmware version 7.4.4.4.7.0
Tried again using RouterStats buit that doesn't support Bits/Tone on the Thomson. Is there something I have overlooked?
Cheers

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Probably that is another thing Thompson have disable in their firmware  Angry
Mav

Thanks Jim.
@anotherone.
Apart from the two Thomson routers I only have the Netgear and no way of getting another router from anywhere. Any other ideas of how to get the 2nd Bits/Tone graph.
Thanks

Mav

I managed to borrow a NetGear router from my local friendly PC shop (I've spent a small fortune there over the last couple of years).
The Bits/Tone graph looks much the same as the previous so where do I go from here?
I've also attached the latest router stats.
EDit: Added latest RX SN Margin from RouterStats

Mav

Just wondering what else I can do to improve my line and obtain better syncs.
Does the previous Bits/Tone graphs indicate there is a potential fault on the line? Should this be further investigated by BT or can something else be done?
Any help appreciated, please Smiley

Mav

It's been a while since I updated this thread and, basically, nothing has changed:
Att tends to stick at 47dB with noise margin of 9 or 12dB.
I rebooted at just after midnight to see if there was any increase in sync (was around 4300 I think) but it went down to 4048 (968Up) Sad
Have run RouterStats again and am concerned about the Downstream Noise Margin Graph. I have added a screen shot along with the current Bits/Tone.
I still feel that I should be able to get a much higher sync speed and reliable connection yet something is stopping this from happening (rmember I am on the 21CN trial).
Any further advice/help would be appreciated.
Thanks Smiley

Mav

As mentioned in another thread my line speed/connection is rather academic now as we will be moving to a bungalow to accomodate my parent's needs due to failing health, etc.
As the original thread was House Move x 2 I now need to invoke the x2 bit.
I think I may have shot myself in the foot a bit by moving from Premier 2 to Unlimited and relinquishing my right to a house move Sad
Could a member of PN either here or by PM reply with details of costs involved in another house move which, most likely, will happen within the next 2/3 months. Our current house is already on the market Sad
Thanks.