cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Profile dropped - low speeds

Mav
Fixes: 514

BT Profile dropped - low speeds

It seems that my BT profile dropped recently to 2500 and has yet to return to the more usual 4000 or so.
Possibly it dropped when I had the line fault 6 days ago (I disconnected the router several times while testing different telephones) & was subsequently repaired the following morning.
The current BT speedtest is shown below and my stats are:
Connection Speed 4522 kbps 1036 kbps
Line Attenuation 46 db 13 db
Noise Margin 6 db 6 db

I have attempted to view any logs of when the profile drop may have happened on my DG834G V4.01.40 without success. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to find this info?
Thanks
Edit: Although I am on the 21CN trial I still thought the BT profile only took 3 days to rise back?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

12 REPLIES 12
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: BT Profile dropped - low speeds

Hi Mav,
I thought the profile was a lot quicker to uplift on 21CN (as opposed to the 3 day wait that there is on MaxDSL) but will need to check this with Dave for you. I'll post back shortly.
Mav

Thanks Orbrey.
I'll wait for your reply Smiley

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right (sorry, that wasn't quite as quick as I'd hoped)
Our resident guru says that it's between 1-5 days depending on the speed difference. If it's a big one, i.e. 1Mbps -> 16Mbps it should be about a day. If it's a small change, i.e. 1.25Mbps -> 1.5Mbps it can take up to 5 days with in between changes happening as you'd expect - smaller changes taking longer and larger ones less time.
Hope that helps, I guess it depends how long your connection has been stable for as to how long you have to wait but I guess for a change like that you'd need at least 3 days.
Mav

Thanks Orbrey
Is there a way of telling when the BT profile dropped? If it was during the line fault last week then it's already been 7 days!

itsme
Grafter

It's not when it dropped but how many days the line has been at a higher sync that will raise the profile. One sync at a speed which is within the current profile will restart the clock.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll have a look on the BT site, that might tell me but being 21CN I'm not totally sure.
EDIT: It does tell me. Basically you were on a 3.5mb profile until the 25th July, this dropped to a 2.5mb one on the same day. Then it didn't update until the 9th and 10th of August (2.5mb both times).
Mav

I check my sync almost every day and never noticed it drop but it seems to have been at 4500+ for more than a week so I am wondering why hasn't my profile risen to 3500 or 4000.
Is there anything I can do bearing in mind I have all new filters, already connected to the master socket, etc?

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As I mentioned above BT have recorded syncs at lower speeds within the last couple of days which is what will have kept the speed down - bear in mind it'll take 3 or 4 days based on the difference between the profile speed currently set and the one you're moving to.
Unfortunately it's just a matter of the connection remaining stable at the faster speed.
Mav

That's where the problem seems to lie - it appears that my line is not very stable if you look back at the thread House Move 2x I have had problems that never seemd to get resolved.
With my stats currently the same as there were above I still cannot understand why I don't get higher syncs and, hence, faster speeds.
If it is a stability issue how can we get it resolved?

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well if the line's unstable then it's faulty so we'll need to escalate it.
http://faults.plus.net Smiley
Mav

Thanks Orbrey - Did raise a ticket before but have done so again : 29665156 Smiley

Mav

The report from the above ticket shows no problems can be found.
I had already changed micro-filters, plugged directly into the master socket, etc.
I have tried to run further BT speed tests throughout today without success. I got as far as being told the connection speed was 3500 then seemed to time out.
Subsequent attempts to run the speed test are met with messages that I must wait 3 hours till the next one even though the tester clearly states: PLEASE NOTE: There is a three hour minimum interval between successful tests.
The speed/connection issues have now become academic...
My wife and I are planning to move with my parents into a bungalow as they are finding the stairs more difficult to use as they days go by  Cry
Hopefully, we'll find somewhere closer to an exchange Wink I'll close the ticket and cross my fingers that the profile with rise again soon Smiley
Have just checked the PN profile and it has now risen to 3500 Smiley