Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move x2

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: House move x2

You have no extension wiring, so you are the equivalent of plugged into the test socket, (You are plugged into a master socket with no extension wiring).  You can put that on the ticket. It is irrelevant, you don't need to do anything else.
James
Grafter

The firewall off request is one from BT.
They apparently like to do ping tests which some firewalls reject, or at least they certainly used to.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

So the firewall is the router firewall not the PC firewall as pings don't get beyond the router.
Perhaps that should be made clear in the instructions
itsme
Grafter

It probably to cover all configurations as some EU may be using USB modems.
James
Grafter

There's also the fact that software firewalls can also often cause a complete lack of data transfer and slow speeds.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Jameseh
The firewall off request is one from BT.
They apparently like to do ping tests which some firewalls reject, or at least they certainly used to.

That's stupid!
I could disable all the firewall rules on my DG834 and it wouldn't make any difference to whether my router could be pinged.
On the other hand I could enable the Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port which would then enable them to test - irrespective of any firewall settings!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

On my router if I disable the firewall the control for the respond to ping is greyed out. So I assume that as I can't control the ping the router will respond to the ping request.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Instead of asking you to disable the firewall they should ask "Please make sure that your router or PC will respond to pings from the internet to allow our supplier to perform some tests (this may require you to disable your firewall)".
And before anyone responds asking how much that would mean to some users, how many would know how to disable the firewall on the router?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

But not everyone are using routers, some still use USB modems. So it's easier to have a generic statement to switch all firewalls off then to have a)if you have this set up do this b) but if you have this set up do this.
People in the know will only enable the pings and not switch the firewall off.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Just a quickie...
Even if the request for turning off both firewall's is from BT I feel it to be rather reckless considering today's climate. The actuall tests in my case took only a matter of minutes but the instructioins say can be two hours. That's a very long time for someone to be without protection. Even if I could have turned the router's firewall off (I've since found out how) I doubt if I would.
I'm not going to be able to do any more for the next 2 weeks as I'm off to Ukraine tomorow to meet with SWMBO and her family Smiley  Cool
Looking forward to the break but will renew further checks and things on my return.
Have fun all and hope the sun shines Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have a nice time Smiley
Mav

Back from my hols and ready to sort out these connection problems - if possible Wink
Restarted router this morning and synced at just over 5400 with Att of 45.5 and S/N of 6.5. Appeared stable with no resyncs but over 24,000,000 FEC DL errors after around 7 hours but just a few UL FEC. I reconnected the original router about 30 mins ago and now sync at 1,001 / 5,358 but same Att and S/n as above but already got 1,529,357 DL FEC errors.
The problem I still have is getting a loan non-575v7 router to test these errors.
@jameseh - If I send the loan 575v7 router back ASAP is there another router you can loan me - I'm happy to pay the carriage?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

James
Grafter

What was the previous router that you used?
Mav

I've tried two 575v7 and one D-Link 320B which wouldn't work with an IP block apparently.

James
Grafter

I've had a look around and I'm afraid I wasn't able to find any alternate routers from a different manufacturer.
Worth having a look on eBay?