cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ SNR target not reset

bijelic
Dabbler

Re: ADSL2+ SNR target not reset

My SNR also went up from 9db to 15db in last two days.  Can this be reversed and why would it increase so much?
godsell4
Rising Star

Because the numpties at BTW have not enabled SAR! They know best and deny the laws of physics exist.
If you sync when all is quiet, at say 09:00 in the morning, then you gets lots of tones used and a high sync speed, through the day the noise changes and you get lots of HEC/CEC errors. It is this error count, like it did on MaxDSL, makes the DLM increase your noise margin.
If you had SAR enabled, the sync speed would drop as the noise levels rise during the late afternoon, so the HEC/CRC errors stay low, and then when the noise reduces the next morning, the sync speed increases again.
We can be sure that those people who designed ADSL2+ spent many hundreds of man hours making SAR work did so for a good reason, it took somebody at BTW a few man minutes to mess this up.
I could be wrong, but frankly I doubt it ....
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Rotorsport

Had my SNR changed by BT 2 days ago from 15dB to 6dB everything was fine until about 3 hours ago when my router dropped the connection.
When it came back up it's defaulted back to 15dB again  >:(. I thought it was supposed to go up in 3dB steps?
Shaun2000
Grafter

I think something is wrong with my settings somewhere in the system still.
Above are my test results even though my BT profile is now at 2500. The upload looks to low for my sync speed, in my original post, as well?
Shaun2000
Grafter

Think I have found the cause of my download speed problem. In my account settings the line speed is still  set to 2000 while the BT profile is has changed to 2500. I thought this internal profile was ment to automatically follow the BT one pretty quickly so this could be a bug somewhere  :-\. 
On the plus side my upload is now more like it  Smiley

Shaun2000
Grafter

61 hours up time since my bras profile changed to 2500 and my line speed in the account settings is still set to 2000  Sad
I think someone needs to poke at it with a stick to get it unstuck.
scootie
Grafter

shaun2000 i got this sticky thread put up on trial section just for this problem Wink
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75814.0.html
EDIT sorry see you all ready have it sorted bit behind on my replies to your posts list
Sauniere
Grafter

I've been rebooting my router daily and was still getting a sync of 6000 - 6400 ish.  SNR was 12 db.  It had been stuck around there for so long I'd become used to the idea that it wasn't going to improve.
Imagine my delight when I checked tonight to find my SNR has targetted to 6db and I now have a sync of 7500.  IP profile is currently at 6500 
some issues with the connection around midnight though
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Good news. Grin  Is that after around 18 days wait (10 days being training period)?
David
David
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: Rotorsport
Had my SNR changed by BT 2 days ago from 15dB to 6dB everything was fine until about 3 hours ago when my router dropped the connection.
When it came back up it's defaulted back to 15dB again  >:(. I thought it was supposed to go up in 3dB steps?

I've just had exactly the same thing happen. After a week or more of testing, BT reset noise margin to 9dB. Yesterday it went back to 15dB. It happened at exactly the same time of day, almost to the second, (in the late morning) as when BT reset it to 9dB on Monday.
Fortunately, I had kept the ticket open so have reported back to PN on this.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Sauniere
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Good news. Grin  Is that after around 18 days wait (10 days being training period)?
David

Hi David,
It's a bit of a convoluted story but I changed to ADSL2+ on the 16th March.  On the 25th I lost internet access for 10 days due to a BT oversight.  Access was restored on 03rd of April.  As a result I'm not really sure if my line has been retrained so to speak although it is certainly way out of the original training period
Steve 

*edit  my SNR is now at 9db
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks for that explanation and background.
David
David
puffin
Grafter

I'm also having SNR problems.
On ADSL my margin was always 12dB (with no reason to change it because it was maxed out).  On switching to ADSL2+ it stayed at 12dB and I was getting about 6Mbps on a 34dB attentuation.
Yesterday I was playing with the extension wiring in my flat and got the router's extension to be as good as the test socket (7.2Mbps) with an absolutely rock solid 12dB margin. Seeing how good this was I ticketed PlusNet to reduce the target to 6dB.
Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning to find that my line was dropped overnight and will now only sync with a 19dB margin!  Curiously I'm still getting 1Mbps upstream, but only 4.5Mbps down.  I've tried resynching but it's stuck at 19dB.  Thanks BT!  Angry
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The DLM reaction you describe sounds suspiciously like it being confused by the re-syncs associated with the wiring changes you made. I think patience is what's needed now for the DLM to convince itself that all is well again.
This post by afoxisevil is worth a read.
David
David