Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC or laptop?? that's the question!

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: PC or laptop?? that's the question!

Quote from: hollytree
Hmmmm, I do believe Promod and Sprite between them have cracked this conundrum. Smiley

Naturally.. because I'm always right Wink
(just remember to tell OldJim that for me ok?  ;D)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RichAllen
Grafter

At the moment I'm on Dad's laptop at my Parents', and his Desktop at home, because my own Desktop is riddled with viruses, ad-ware and other nonsense which will eventually be fixed by my Brother, who is an It Consultant, but he lives in South London, has 2 kids and works full time so all his time is taken up.
hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: MrT
Going back to your original post:
Quote from: hollytree
Thinking of replacing my ancient Dell desktop. But can't make up my mind what kind of PC I should get!  Undecided
What are your thoughts?

Does your desktop do everything that you want from it?
Is it a case of wanting a similar PC but one that is easily transportable between rooms?
If the answer to both of the above is yes then a modern laptop with a reasonable spec will do want you want.

@ Mr T : thanks for bringing the subject back to my original query!  Smiley Yes my desktop PC does everything that I want albeit slowly as its only got Pentium 2, 1 gb RAM and OS XP. So I do need something with plenty of poke and windows 7 which wont work on my comp apparently. BUT I also need to be able to transport it between an upstairs room and our living room AND I want something comfortable to work at.. my experience of working for long periods at a laptop with its relatively tiny and poorly sited keyboard has not been a positive one.
Incidentally, I've just been looking online at something called a portable, all-in-one desktop PC - never heard of this and wondering what you and others think of them? Undecided
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

AIO,s are pants  Tongue
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
hollytree
Rising Star

ermmm... why??? Huh  some reasons for this view would be appreciated, rongtw,  Smiley
dick:quote
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

In my opinion, All-In-Ones have all the lack of portability of a desktop computer and all the expense and difficulty of replacing parts of a laptop computer.  If it's a "portable all-in-one" it's a laptop! 
picbits
Rising Star

AIO's also tend to have limited airflow/cooling and limited space for expansion (i.e. better or bigger graphics cards).
MrT
Grafter

I have no hands-on experience of AIOs but, from what I've read, a decent one would cost more than £1000.
I have no idea what your budget is.
You can get a very good laptop for a lot less than £1000 and have plenty of money left over to add things like a wireless keyboard if you prefer.
Glenn
Grafter

From what I've read, it sounds like you ideally need two desktop pc's...one in each room.
You've already said you find laptops limiting, so it's the only solution...if your budget could stretch to getting two...or get one now and the other later.
Smiley
hollytree
Rising Star

@ReedRichards: I take your point  about AiOs... in other words all the disadvantages of the laptop AND the desktop combined , so not good Sad
@Mr T: another good point ... my budget is only £700, im afraid.. and a desktop - type keyboard is essential for me Sad
@ Glenn: I can probably get around the lack of a separate keyboard by getting either a wired or plug-in one for a laptop. Your suggestion for 2 separate PCs , one in each room, makes sound sense but my wife probably wouldn't wear it in the living room and neither wd our bank manager :(.
Am I right in thinking that it's simply not possible to have, for instance, your desktop computer upstairs and your keyboard, screen, mouse etc downstairs or upstairs as required?? That way, I would just need to shift the peripherals around as and when needed.  Could they be connected wirelessly over that distance? And through solid brick walls? Or with cabling? As you can no doubt tell, this is a totally unfamiliar knowledge area for me. Embarrassed
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You cannot update your screen fast enough using wireless.
You could run your desktop headlessly using a modest computer downstairs
if you were OK with low-grade screen output (no video pictures)!
The upstairs PC would be doing all the work.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

hollytree
Rising Star

Interesting, vilefox.... can you explain how this would work? Huh
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

You'll regret asking that.. now he's going to go on his anti windows / pro linux campaign  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Is it possible to sort of split your work?
Buy a new PC and put that in your prime most used location. But keep your old Dell somewhere else for the more easy mundane tasks.
And you could also improve the old Dell. A new keyboard and plenty of good cheap screens on ebay.
A cheap upgrade and a new PC.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Sprite
You'll regret asking that.. now he's going to go on his anti windows / pro linux campaign  Wink

Try VNC or similar - works on all platforms.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."