Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC or laptop?? that's the question!

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: PC or laptop?? that's the question!

LOL Foxy you love being controversial don't you.. you linux loving little devil

I like Promod's idea of using a plug in monitor. If you buy a laptop with an external monitor connector (most have them just not the smaller note/netbooks) then you have the best of both worlds. Portable computer but also a large monitor for your other work that you can plug in when at the desk. Problem solved!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Our connection has
TWO big desktops (both Linux).
ONE medium desktop [Linux]
TWO laptops.
ONE netbook [Linux] - capable of taking a HDMI
ONE Raspberry [Linux]

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

picbits
Rising Star

I've got so many computers, I've had to build a cupboard to hide them from the wife in.
Actually I'm still building the cupboard but nearly there ......
7up
Community Veteran

I have a desktop on the desk. I have my netbook on the desk. Underneath the desk I have another headless desktop machine. In the cupboard behind the desk there are at least 5 more machines. I have another behind the front door waiting to be setup as a wifi AP or router. OH and there is the Pi..
Only the first 3 mentioned are still actively used / ready to use. The others.. some will boot, some have had HDDs borrowed etc. I could get them running within a day but as they're no longer used, there isn't much point.
I also used to have 16 old dell office computers in that same cupboard.. I was going to setup a cluster but ended up giving them away to a good cause to be distributed to kids that needed a computer.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: picbits
I've got so many computers, I've had to build a cupboard to hide them from the wife in.
Actually I'm still building the cupboard but nearly there ......

Would it not be easier to hide the wife in the cupboard? ? ?  Cheesy
picbits
Rising Star

It's not big enough  Shocked  Grin
Actually I've struggled building it due to space constraints - I'm making use of some space under the stairs of my workshop but I've put weight on since building the workshop and I can only just about get a drill in there  Grin
hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Buy a good laptop that has HDMI out and if your TV is capable, use that as a monitor ?
And for a more desktop/office type arrangment, buy suitable sized monitor and connect the laptop up to that for when you need a bit more screen.
Should'nt be any reason why you couldn't even go as far as adding a wireless keyboard and mouse in if you want a bit more comfort and portability.

I like Promod's idea of using a plug in monitor. If you buy a laptop with an external monitor connector (most have them just not the smaller note/netbooks) then you have the best of both worlds. Portable computer but also a large monitor for your other work that you can plug in when at the desk. Problem solved!

Hmmmm, I do believe Promod and Sprite between them have cracked this conundrum. Smiley I like the idea of being able to plug a decent keyboard and Monitor into a "big-ass" laptop .. provided it's big-assed enough to cope with the heavy demands of graphics software. Any recommendations for makes and models chaps? I def wont want Windows 8 btw... all that touch screen stuff is just plain weird to someone weaned on a BBC Micro with black screen and green font Wink
VileReynard
Hero

You will have a underpowered CPU on a laptop.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That's true.
It may be an i5 i7 or whatever but it will be a mobile version.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Alternatively a decent spec desktop in a 'lanparty' type case (with carrying handle), wireless mouse/keyboard and HDMI out to plug into the telly when downstairs (or just a second monitor for the alternate location).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
You will have a underpowered CPU on a laptop.

Shocked @vilefoxdemonof doom: What do you mean? And why? And in rough percentage terms by how much? Huh
Huh @billnotben: Mobile?
Quote from: w23
Alternatively a decent spec desktop in a 'lanparty' type case (with carrying handle), wireless mouse/keyboard and HDMI out to plug into the telly when downstairs (or just a second monitor for the alternate location).

Never heard of a lanparty case... the concept sounds good but lugging a hefty desktop PC up and downstairs is something I'd rather avoid!
7up
Community Veteran

Well you'll never get a CPU as powerful as some of the powerful desktop machines BUT you'll definitely get laptops with powerful processors that can do what you want.
My friend works in video editing for a living and despite doing most of his editing on a mac with 16GB of ram, he also uses a laptop for some bits too. Just remember that you get what you pay for.
VileReynard
Hero

The marketing crowd have made sensible CPU comparisons very difficult.
It really depends on what you want it for;
There's no point getting a 8-core 4GHz CPU just for web browsing!
I would guess that CPU "power" would be 2-3 times greater on a desktop.
If you want a decent high-spec CPU, it won't be available on a laptop at virtually any price.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

this is my case , with carry handle  Wink  coolermaster Storm Scout
moves very easy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MrT
Grafter

Going back to your original post:
Quote from: hollytree
Thinking of replacing my ancient Dell desktop. But can't make up my mind what kind of PC I should get!  Undecided
What are your thoughts?

Does your desktop do everything that you want from it?
Is it a case of wanting a similar PC but one that is easily transportable between rooms?
If the answer to both of the above is yes then a modern laptop with a reasonable spec will do want you want.