cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrendous experience attempting to change over to Plunet fibreoptic

plusnetnoway
Grafter

Re: Horrendous experience attempting to change over to Plunet fibreoptic

Whatever their reputation, Talk Talk never left me without the internet for 3 weeks (and it will be likely 4 before this mess is sorted out) and never leafleted me offering fibreoptic when they could provide neither fibreoptic nor a basic broadband service.
Received this morning:
"When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 6Mbps
Current line speed: 21Mbps"
Actually the estimated line speed I was given was 13Mbps, and I was told that Plusnet's fibreoptic would perform no better, and my current line speed is 0, and has been for the past 3 weeks.
Would someome at Plusnet care to interpret the above statistics for me?

plusnetnoway
Grafter

I also received this:
"At Plusnet, we very much value the opinions of our customers and following your recent contact with our support team, you are in the best position to help us.  With your feedback, we will be able to focus our efforts on improving the areas that will make a real difference.
We would be very grateful if you could tell us about your recent experience of interaction with our Customer Support Centre by completing our Customer Feedback Survey.
"
I will wait until this time next week until I respond - when hopefully I will have an internet connection to talk about.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.

The only thing I can comment on there is to ignore that message for now as I don't believe that message should have reached you. Your service certainly hasn't been active for 14 days. I'm now looking at what we might need to do to rectify the issue of such messages being sent incorrectly..
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnetnoway
Grafter

My service has not been active for 1 second which makes me curious as to the measurement of 21mbps. How valid are these statistics?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As mentioned its wrong, so dismiss that information for now hence they are not valid statistics.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnetnoway
Grafter

How will I know whether or not to believe these numbers when I'm finally on-line? Even the reported estimate is wrong.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

It's my belief that the estimate shown on the portal ( and presumably sent in the email ) is for ADSL1 only whereas the one given on signup takes account of ADSL2+. The current line speed on the portal is your current PlusNet IP profile. This is probably set to 21Mb ( the maximum ) when the account is created and is adjusted by the delta reports from BTw. In your case your broadband is not yet active and hence no delta reports have been received and so its still sat at 21Mb.
If I'm right, then that might explain your figures.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnetnoway
Grafter

I've no idea where the estimate of 6mbps came from. I was promised 13mbps when Plusnet offered me broadband after the fibreoptic installation failed, with the promise that both would deliver the same speed in my case. To see the estimate divided by more than 2 is rather disconcerting. Clearly the 21mbps figure is simply spurious.
dannyflounders
Grafter

Quote from: plusnetonprobation
Whatever their reputation, Talk Talk never left me without the internet for 3 weeks (and it will be likely 4 before this mess is sorted out) and never leafleted me offering fibreoptic when they could provide neither fibreoptic nor a basic broadband service.

I wouldn't be to hasty, talktalk left my brother without telephone and broadband for a month.
When asked, talktalk said my brother had requested to leave talktalk and they give him BT reference numbers for the transfer.
But, BT said they weren't their reference numbers and more to the point, my brother never requested any transfer, in fact he'd never even been in contact with them. We never did find out who's reference numbers they were, probably because they were talktalks internal numbers or something.
My brother moved instantly away from talktalk after that, not because it happened but because it took a month to sort it out.
That's one story, I could tell you a dozen more.
Now I'm not a plusnet fanboy, but I use them because they have english call centers and thats the only reason.
I'm not impressed by the broadband performance and the lousy 10GB or 60GB packages, simply because most people fall somewhere in between and plusnet know that. In fact, some months I used to go over the 10GB limit by only a few hundred MB right at the end of the month, plusnet would then charge me another £5 for 5GB which I was never going to use in a day or two, worse still it never carried over so in reality I was paying an extra £5 a month for what amounted to a couple of GB over 2-3 months.
Clever marketing one could say, grrrr is what I say.
plusnetnoway
Grafter

I've not heard good things about Talk Talk from other people, but can only go on my own experience.
I have been an internet user since 1995 and have used a variety of companies.
Even if my current connection problem is sorted on Monday then I will have been without the internet for 3.5 weeks which over the last 16 years is unprecedented in my experience. I was with Talk Talk for several years and never had problems like this.
As for marketing - my assessment on how Plusnet have met the 4 Ps is:
Price - reasonable - providing the shambles in which I have been placed is taken into account;
Place - none- I have no service - Yorkshire or Pluto, it's all the same to me at the moment;
Promotion - I received a leaflet advertising a service that they could not install and that left me without any service at all - that speaks for itself;
Product - I would like one please, but there does not seem to be the capability of delivering it in less than several weeks after I have been disconnected from my previous supplier.
plusnetnoway
Grafter

I am online.
I just got a call from the engineer at the exchange who explained that the connection had been wired wrongly and he has corrected it.
It is now working and this is the first use I am making of my new connection.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Brilliant news! I've dropped you a reply on your support ticket.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnetnoway
Grafter

Download speed is 1353kbps, upload speed is 220kbps, which is about 10% of what I was promised. Will this improve?
zubel
Community Veteran

Almost certainly.  Your line profile will likely be 2000 on initial install which should rapidly increase to your current speed.
Run a BT speedtest and check your Plusnet Line Speed  (post them back here) along with your router stats and we can tell you what the situation currently is.
I've not read back through the entire thread, but I suspect that you've been provisioned on ADSL1 over 21CN, and will later be bumped to either ADSL2 or Fibre, depending on how Plusnet decide to proceed?
B.
plusnetnoway
Grafter

Download speed is 1787 out of 2000kbps
upload speed is 353 out of 445 kbps
Plusnet linespeed is 1.5mb esitmated, 2mb current
Router stats are:
Uptime: 0 days, 0:22:10

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 900 / 2,884

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 445 / 3,040