Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Usage Allowance being used up very quickly

each computer so that you can monitor all of them
missa3
Grafter

have downloaded the programme. my usage is at 2.79MB for a couple of mins using the internet is this right? My usage is still ever increasing on the plusnet website, could this be because usage from the last 2 hours is not shown so is still showing time for when torrent could have been running?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is high - you need to find out what is using the bandwidth - my guess is that the torrent is still running in the background
Note 2.79MB in 2 minutes is equivalent to 2GB per day
missa3
Grafter

I dont have torrents on this laptop, only on a different laptop which is showing usage of a few kbs. how do I find out what programmes are using the internet ?
missa3
Grafter

i have used networx to see NetStat, and there is a long list of things, what is the difference between "established" and "listening". I shouldnt have lots of programs using the internet as the computer has just been refurbished
prichardson
Grafter

Established are the connections that are actually open and may be transferring data at that moment (doesn't mean they are though).
Listening connections are those awaiting another system/application to connect to it.
You will often see a lot of things listening, this can be normal for the running of a network connected machine. The established will show for things like web-browsing as well.
Look under the established items and then at the Foreign Address column. The number after the colon will often help establish the application.
missa3
Grafter

the established connections are chrome (browser) and long list of ones called AVP and something called BITS. there are a few things listening, but are these not using the internet?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming you have Windows on your laptop -
The last time I used the Free version of ZoneAlarm firewall, there was an option that could be selected where as each program attempted to access the internet a pop-up window appeared in which you had to ALLOW or DENY the connection.
If you did that, you would soon find out what was using the internet !
If you are running Linux, you could open "Firestarter", and just look at he "Active Connections", where it will list every connection made or active in the last few seconds.
missa3
Grafter

I really dont understand what could be using up the allowance as I havent really got many programs on this laptop. Obviously will be going over the allowance this month and have to deal with very slow internet
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Does your security package include monitoring of internet activity
missa3
Grafter

i think so. I have kapersky internet security
missa3
Grafter

just used network monitor on kapersky and the only programs using internet are the browser and itunes i think. and only a few kb
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Click on Network Traffic and that will show the numbers for the last two weeks like this - you select the time period