cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage Allowance being used up very quickly

missa3
Grafter

Re: Usage Allowance being used up very quickly

It just comes up with a list of about 6 for google chrome. How do I select the time period? It doesnt seem like there is anything unusual using the internet. there is also something called "host processes for windows services"
This is really frustrating me, as you can tell I dont really understand it. We did not really want to go with plusnet but was our only option as sky did not have room on the exchange in our area. We were told 60gb was plenty for browsing, but obviously this isnt the case.
matt_2k34
Grafter

We were told 60gb was plenty for browsing, but obviously this isnt the case.

60gb = 62914560 KB.
Average web page would be like, 30kb.
62914560 / 30 = 2097152 pages served.
60gb is MORE than enough for browsing.
You clearly have Some ONE or some THING using the internet without you realising.
Change your WEP/WPA key on your wireless, or better yet disable it for a day and just use the laptop via a cable. If the usage goes to a few MB, then you've found the problem.
I'd put money on either you have...
a) someone using your wireless (neighbour?)
b) some malware on your computer making it do 'things' over the internet
c) some software (torrent, iplayer, download etc.) is downloading and you do not realise this.

Also considering NetworX
Right click the icon, "USAGE STATS" -> then go to the "Hourly Rates" - gives you total transferred and also the average upload and download speed.
Jobs a good'un.
Regards
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Select period in the top right corner (day, week or month) then use the arrows on the left to move back and forward in time
missa3
Grafter

We have used the password we got with the router which was described as very secure... for five hours the usage is 52MB, does this sound about right? there is absolutley nothing download on my computer... havent used iplayer..dont have bittorrent or any other programs like this.
missa3
Grafter

there is no button for period, must be a different version. Anyway on there it is just showing up as google chrome browser with a few kbs
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am using version 12.0.0.374 which is the latest version of KIS 2012
52MB is quite reasonable
matt_2k34
Grafter

if you've been browsing "heavier" pages You'll use more.
52mb for 5 hours is low...

Mine looks like this...

See what i mean by hourly use (ignore the "constant" usage for several hours, its because my laptop was sat "on" and idle for several hours.
Green = Free period, Yellow = Offpeak, obvs.
The general page will also give you a 'days' overview.

Regards
missa3
Grafter

Do you think the usage should stop increasing so quickly then on the plusnet website? If it carries on I should probably change the password.
missa3
Grafter

I think it should be ok now then. pretty sure there isnt a program hiding away somewhere using the internet! it was probably the bit torrent on other laptop causing the problems
missa3
Grafter

although I have just checked my usage again and has increased again by about 0.10gb. Should i consider changing the password? :S
matt_2k34
Grafter

0.1gb is 100mb,
1000 KB is 1 MB, 1000 MB is 1GB (sorry if this is obvious..)
100 meg is still nothing.
60 / 31 (for max amount of days) means you get 1.9gb per day to use. (averaged out)
So providing the next few days are "lower" than average until the end of the billing month, You should be fine.
Regards
P.S. What program is used to download torrents? i'd recommend uTorrent, as it includes a scheduler (which means it will NOT download during the daytime, even if the program is open in the background...)
edit: adding a picture Smiley

Like this -- White = stop totally, this means that you can leave the program and not worry about it wasting your allocated bandwidth.
missa3
Grafter

bit torrent. it has a scheduler too so we have turned it completely off during the day, although it didnt look like it was downloading anything it was probably running in the background. If we were to go over the monthly download limit how slow would our connection be?
missa3
Grafter

thank you. If it continues to go up at such a rate it must be someone else using our connection. Just cos we have used 20gb since wednesday had me worried we would go over by miles.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you do hit the usage limit you've set your speed will be rate limited to 256kb/s until your next billing date. You can change this by increasing your maximum extra monthly spend or removing your Manage My Usage limit.
https://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/res_broadband_faq.shtml#overAllowance
missa3
Grafter

sorry for all the posts. thanks for the help, we only used 800mb on the first day so Im pretty sure it was down to torrents