Grafter

Re: Reduced speeds over the years

Thanks John, images below:

conn-status-hub2.pngspeed-today-bt-hub2.pngchecker.png

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Unless you've been turning your Hub on and off - you are suffering xDSL drops. Is it a Hub1 or Hub2?

John
chevybeef
Grafter

I usually use pfsense and not the hub 2, only connected it to get the data.

My pfsense connection is rock solid.

jab1
Legend

OK. I don't know what logging the pfsense has, but it would be interesting to see the connection details - the other option is to leave the Hub2connected for a few days to obtain logs from that. Note you will be unlikely to get a staff response on here until Tuesday at the earliest.

John
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

@chevybeef The speed is below the Minimum speed. What checks have been done? 38 is what I am seeing. Hardly any drops from our side as well.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

Thanks for proving me wrong @willcutforth  😉 - but unfortunately that 38Mb/s is above the hand back, so I doubt PR will want to investigate?

John
chevybeef
Grafter

@willcutforth I've done speed tests using my normal router, pfsense, and hub 2 using various sources, see from post 29.

BT Broadband Availability Checker and broadband connection status from my Hub can be seen in post 31.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

@chevybeef 

are you using the hub two in bridge mode for you router?

It is possible to check the DSL line stats on the Hub without the need to switch it out of bridge mode.

To achieve this you can connect a pc of some sort to a spare Lan port with a static IP Address in the range the hub was before in bridge mode, a suggestion would be 192.168.1.10 mask 255.255.255.0

You will have access to the Technical log

HTH

chevybeef
Grafter

thanks @Dan_the_Van 

i only use the hub 2 for testing but i know i could use it in bridge mode

my usual setup is an openreach eci modem and pfsense

the 2 setups concur with each other, i.e. speed tests are the same

chevybeef
Grafter

From my perspective as the end user I'm consistently seeing less than the 38Mbps "hand back" speed that's been mentioned above.

Today's speed test results are:

SCR-20240404-gv8.png

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

@chevybeef wrote:

From my perspective as the end user I'm consistently seeing less than the 38Mbps "hand back" speed that's been mentioned above.

Downstream Handback Threshold (Clean) is given as 32.4 Mbps in your screenshot. That applies to the line rate, not to speed test results. You appear to have a line rate just short of 40 meg.

In actual fact although it's of interest, the literal meaning of the Handback Threshold is that it gives a qualified right to cancel without penalty. That's probably not what you want. See some notes here ..

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/bt-wholesale-broadband-checker-adds-downstream-handbac...

chevybeef
Grafter

@aesmith 

Thanks for the explanation.

You're right, that's not what I want.

The 40Mbps line rate and 39.99Mbps in the screenshot, seems "artificial" or capped?

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Do you have anything from Plusnet when you first started, giving their estimate and minimum guaranteed speed when you first signed up?

chevybeef
Grafter

@aesmith 

Not from when I first signed up but in message number 8, @willcutforth mentions that the profile is uncapped and in message 15 I mention an email I received from plusnet saying "Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 39.2Mbps we promised you".

Message 6 shows the speed I was getting in 2013 and plusnet's estimated speed of 66Mbps for my current product.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chevybeef 

Do you happen to have an RJ11 to BT431A (phone plug) cable ? (perhaps from the back of a landline phone).

It would be an interesting experiment to see what your Hub2's modem stats look like, when plugged directly in to your BT Master Socket's internal "TEST SOCKET", as this would eliminate any possible issues with your DSL filter, the BT faceplate, and any associated extension wiring.

YouTube video : How to Connect into the Master Test Socket 

While you have the modem plugged in to the "TEST SOCKET", I would also suggest running the Plusnet fault detection 'bot', on the off chance it detects a fault, and if not then it is likely your line is clear.

Troubleshoot by text.png