cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet - New Network

avatastic
Grafter

Re: Plusnet - New Network

If I could stream YouTube in HD without constant buffering / stuttering on 40/10 FTTC it'd be a start...
(Although that could be the Fire TV stick having issues because i'm running it from the TV's USB port for power)
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Quote from: Estragon
Ah, Bob. It is however a direct response to throughput issues that have and increasingly would have caused customers' reported problems.  Roll_eyes

I doubt it - I would think more due to the increased user base/future bandwidth demands.
Those throughput issues were a bit of an anomaly as the monthly TBB results didn't show the same pattern.

Bit of a big assumption there.
The TBB results sadly lack credibility as the admin refused to post confirmed results only from users who had tested peak and off peak on the same connection, but rather just posted total results which could have more people with higher sync speeds testing at peak.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Webif
ee

I was just reading the thread and this post and this one and had already thought the same as you. I don't think too many people can be awake this evening to have cottoned on to your post.  But in any event that may or may not be the primary or only reason, expansion of the customer base has obviously been going on for some time and will obviously continue.
Oh, don't forget MAAF either.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

The reason for the new network is, as Bob P, says nothing to do with us registering our disquiet. It's due to the insane rush for customers at all costs meaning that Plusnet are too big to used shared links but have to move to dedicated links from the core.
Also I would assume, as have others, that once the EE takeover is completed by BT plc then their broadband customers would be moved onto Plusnet asap in an attempt to reduce BT's costs and keep the financial markets happy with said takeover. It would be extremely foolish to run 2 budget ISP's, instead just make EE a white label Plusnet customer like John Lewis. So marketing can be down separately but the real cost saving come from common infrastructure and shared support.
There is 1 good point from all this. Now Plusnet have to manage the back hauls so they lose 1 point where they can blame their supplier for lack of capacity. So less buck passing and wringing of hands.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

...or equally have control and self sufficiency not constrained by supplier failure.
It is though a mute point: is there evidence that there has been a lack of inter node capacity aside from some specific recent node issues?  I would have expected such issues to be evidenced by multiple BQMs to be showing near identical patterns.  Aside from the recent issue I have not seen such evidence.
Local exchange capacity is more common and will not be addressed by this change - that will remain a BTw failure to supply adequate capacity.  To fix that, PlusNET would need their kit in exchanges.  Now there's an interesting idea - PlusNET becoming a LLU provider!  Cheesy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: georgelnx
Also I would assume, as have others, that once the EE takeover is completed by BT plc then their broadband customers would be moved onto Plusnet asap in an attempt to reduce BT's costs and keep the financial markets happy with said takeover. It would be extremely foolish to run 2 budget ISP's, instead just make EE a white label Plusnet customer like John Lewis. So marketing can be down separately but the real cost saving come from common infrastructure and shared support.

An interesting thought, but I interpret the outcome to be the other way round?  EE has spent considerable sums on making it's back office functions capable of supporting a modern fast expanding business. It could therefore be considered more cost effective to reverse Plusnet into EE and at a stroke remove the current severe limitations on the creaking Plusnet platform.  The name above the door could well remain as Plusnet, but it would be folly to ditch a load of much more up to date Back Office functionality.
Maurice  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Would not want to be reliant on EE back end business systems.  They, as regular as clock work, used to cut off our mobile phones most months claiming non-payment of the account.  Every time we called them up they'd say, there's no issue, the bill has indeed been paid - we see it a lot.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@mauricec
Well time will tell which way this works out. May be a fun ride.  Wink
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: spoon
Does the new network support IPv6 (and if not, why not)?

Plusnet: Any comment on this question?

Come on Plusnet - it's a perfectly simple question!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gofaster
Rising Star

There are two questions there.
One is easy and the other is probably too embarrassing
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Does the new network support IPv6 (and if not, why not)?

Plusnet: Any comment on this question?

Come on Plusnet - it's a perfectly simple question!

Not yet. We don't currently have any time scale for this. We don't have any further comments on this at the moment.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

HarryB
So the answer is only for part of the question  Lips_are_sealed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
andrewsimk

Been moved onto the new network myself, but now I can't authenticate with the system, tried multiple routers, modems,cables and had engineer.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Townman
Local exchange capacity is more common ............

Are you forgetting threads such as this and it's predecessor? And the fact that the customer base has expanded significantly?
Quote from: MauriceC
An interesting thought, but I interpret the outcome to be the other way round?  EE has spent considerable sums on making it's back office functions capable of supporting a modern fast expanding business.
Quote from: Townman
Would not want to be reliant on EE back end business systems...........

All speculation of course, as will be my comment - the fact that EE's "core" business is primarily mobile telephones and not broadband, would lead me to think that their customer support will be the basis for all BT's mobile support, and that EE Broadband will be merged into Plusnet where they have the experience at providing good broadband support - as well as the bad Broadband support that exists at present Shocked
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I fail to see why PN has deiced to keep this a secret  Crazy
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/01/uk-isp-plusnet-quietly-swaps-to-a-dedicated-wbmc-networ...
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .