Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Be careful what you order vs what you get :(

My suspicions are the router atm.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Because I'd just bought a better rouer to try and improve Broadband before I knew fibre was coming, I declined the free Plusnet one, but I ordered one which came yesterday - same speed so not the router.
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm. Might still be worth trying the PPPoE Dialler just in case there is something weird going on. Which Modem have you got - an ECI or a Huawei? Do you know what make of Cabinet your are on? - see pics here.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Today's speed test - yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And after a quick evening stroll it's a Huawei 288 FTTC.
Unfortunately the rest of your post was way over my head  Huh  How do I test the PPPoE dialer?
Anotherone
Champion

Before you do that can you run this speed test and post the result http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/speedtest2.html, and run the BTw one again but click Further Diagnostics to get the IP Profile. Also check which Gateway you are on. Then double check the path to the Gateway clicking this link and posting the full line that's got the Gateway name in (as per previous link).
The PPPoE Dialler details are in the Library article I linked in my reply #28 (note red underlined bits are links if you weren't sure).
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Off to work now but wanted to post the strange speed tests before I left. PPPoE later...
Other than the day I was switched on to fibre (and before they capped the line or whatever they do to get my 'speed sold' vs what the line can actually do) I've never seen that as an upload speed - and why is it different to the BT one?
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

OK, re-read that thread and I know what the whole PPPoE thing is - I've already done that (I just didn't know what it was called  Embarrassed ) and it didn't make things any faster!
Just run your 2 different speed tests again and they are still showing almost 20 on one and 8.9 on the BT one ?????????????
Anotherone
Champion

I see Matthew Wheeler responded to your other thread instead of this one - never mind - let's hope your faults ticket gets the correct response!
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Thanks for your input - can I ask your thoughts on how come the huge difference in the BT and your other choice of speed tests?
Anotherone
Champion

I thought the BT one was multi-threaded (but will have to double check). With the Capacity issues that have been going on for a while it's usually the single threaded speed that suffers. But more recently I've seen some results where the x6 is also suffering. Speedtest.net is also multi-threaded (as I believe all Ookla ones are) and also usually reliable. But remember, at peak times speedtesters can get congested as well!
So don't just rely on a one off test. Repeat it. If it's still odd try another tester for confirmation or otherwise.
To check if your connection/profiling and etc is OK, run tests at off-peak times. If these give good results, poor results at peak time indicate congestion somewhere.
Try http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/ - this is an HTML5 one (not Flash or java based), you may get some strange results!
Remember to make sure, nothing else is using your connection when you run a speedtest.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Whats also annoying is that they have reduced the upload speeds to 10mb instead of 20mb on the Fibre Unlimited package (40mb)
Seems to me that you get what you pay for  Embarrassed
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

which ISP are you talking about as Plusnet haven't reduced it to 40/10 but to 40/2 and BT have never offered 40/20
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Even worse  Sad
40/2  It's supposed to be a fibre connection!!
I'm not talking about BT.  I'm talking about Plusnet.  I'm on the 40/20 package, but how long thats going to last, I don't know  Undecided
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I see Matthew Wheeler responded to your other thread instead of this one - never mind - let's hope your faults ticket gets the correct response!

Nothing yet....  Angry
andywallace1

Quote from: stewarta13wsb
I hope you're right but PlusNet have assured me that's the best speed I'll get on a 40/20 contract.
At first they suggested if I went the extra £7 odd a month to 'Extra' package the 80 might give me the actual 20 upload but when I was about to be put through to upgrade department I was then told it might not actually be any faster.
The original offer on the call was to upgrade and see and then downgrade if it didn't work.
BT Openreach have already been out though - 80/40 at the main socket - the same as at the cabinet (it's across the road!) I still think PlusNet have cut it back. The fact Ofcom made them change the advert is suspicious - as is the fact that my package disappeared a few days later - it's dropped to 2 as an upload with the 40 download.  Shocked  Shocked
After around 9 years with PlusNet this has been my only bad experience, which is why I've let it go this long, but 2 months now?? I'm sorry but it's been a disaster from start to finish. I wish I never lifted the phone to upgrade.
I've had the line linked to a wrong address so told it wasn't available even though I was across the road. Had to plead to get a tiny discount as a long term loyal customer vs the new customer offers. Forgot to upgrade my account so I got broadband download speeds although funnily enough the correct download speeds until somebody throttled it(?) Charged full price. BT out to find nothing and then Plusnet check and fix their 'build'... I could go on but it's been a really awful - in fact it's not been like PlusNet at all. How sad, maybe they're becoming BT  Cry  Cry

I feel your pain stewarta13wsb.
I too have been at the wrong end of the abysmal stick for over two months.  I paid for 80/20 (vs. 40/10) from last Oct (2014) when it was switched on. For the first month or so it was bliss. I was achieving 62.26 down and 18.48 up. After that seemingly honeymoon period, the speed dropped to around 44 down and 12 up. That annoyed me quite a bit but apparently it was in the "acceptable" region. It stayed like that until about mid June. Current download, as of tonight, is 3.56 and up is raging ahead at 5.42. I have a problem ticket longer than war and peace at the moment. But the worst thing about the whole experience, (something PlusNet and all the other providers can't see,) is the stress and frustration it generates.  We're just not getting what we keep getting billed for.
The root of the problem is the cost cutting by BT that results in the main feed into our areas being installed with the bare minimum number of fibre cores. As soon as a few more people started using the service, that was the final straw and the speeds just collapse at 6pm every single day. Handy that, as that's the time I'm around to start using the internet.  Oh, and it can't be blamed on being during peak time as, according to my PlusNet usage report, peak time runs from 8am through to midnight. The speed appears to be completely normal during the day eg while I'm at work, earning the money to pay for this crap.
If we all keep banging our heads against that proverbial brick wall, a stone or two will eventually come loose.