Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Speed Broadband link disappeared from Connection Settings

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: High Speed Broadband link disappeared from Connection Settings

Some of the posts in this thread are getting a little out of hand, I appreciate that some of you used this but on the whole it wasn't hugely used by most.
Quote from: georgelnx
@Chris
Does this value get updated automatically for those using FTTP?

Yes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Yeah, I too used this a lot as my profile never seemed to update properly, it can still be accessed via the direct link (for now )
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
alext05
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
... I appreciate that some of you used this but on the whole it wasn't hugely used by most.

Fair enough, but what has exactly Plusnet gained by removing it, may I ask, as many forum users did find the feature useful, either with helping to troubleshoot other user problems or spotting incorrect provisioning by Plusnet?
mlmclaren
Grafter

Grin Grin Grin
Oh Plusnet... TuT TuT!
I'm assuming this is so it can't be used against them when people ar ehaving speed issues... like when Plusnet reduce the speed and it takes a few days to update after an FTTC fault for instance....
Though to be honest it was only as accurate as BTw ADSL checker... and in fibre terms it quoted the lowest speed achievable..
When I joined Plusnet with my ADSL line they said no lower than 2.5mbps and then shortly after joining they changed it to 1.5mb instead of the 3.5mb that BTw quoted! (note line currently synced at 4mb)
It's not a feature that will be missed but was handy troubleshooting step if one was missing bandwidth on a connection,
On a side note, I wonder if PLusnet is going to be removing its network level QOS system soon...
adie:red removed excessive emoticons as per link:rules]
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You have really missed the point
The fact that the speed estimate has gone is of little or no relevance given its very low level of accuracy
The problem is losing the Current Line Speed which is a valuable diagnosis tool for speed problems
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
You have really missed the point
The problem is losing the Current Line Speed which is a valuable diagnosis tool for speed problems

I did mention that Jim Smiley
but was handy troubleshooting step if one was missing bandwidth on a connection,
celsoazevedo
Grafter

One of the reasons that made me move to PN was the transparency (support and network stats, talk openly about problems, etc).
Now all this information is being hidden from us and the quality of service is slowly getting worse. I guess it's time to start looking again for another ISP.  Sad
mlmclaren
Grafter

Yes, I was the same really... didn't expect the window to be replaced with a brick wall.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What will be PlusNet be removing next? It seems there is a constant this and that will be removed. Plusnet today is nothing like the PlusNet I joined many years ago it's being stripped to the bear bones and it's not very nice. Customers who used to be a priority now don't count apart from taking their money. What harm was that link doing?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: avatastic
... A Fisher Price Activity Center Control Panel.

Should go well with the new, faster Hub Zero 'Tomy My First Router'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
NoZephy
Rising Star

What's the point in the removal of this?
The removal really isn't justified, since when does the casual user click on that button more than once if it's of no use to them? there are a lot of other changes that could be made to the account page for the average user instead of removing the more "advanced" options... Undecided
EDIT: Changes, as in, reformatting the whole user page and making it less of a throw back to 2002 LOL.
I don't know why, those old looking icons get me every time Grin
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Oldjim

I initially saw this thread last night, then, as now, I am still completely gob-smacked.
KevinG
Rising Star

Ridiculous decision. Please, just admit you got it wrong and put it back - what harm would it do? The only criticism I had of it was that it wasn't prominent enough and had a daft name.
AlaricAdair
Champion

Quote from: glloyd
What will be PlusNet be removing next? ...

Perhaps they should change their company name to link:censored

Edit: edit to correct my grey moment and overcome a crafty filter.
adie:red removed modification of the Plusnet name as it's against the forum rules]
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
sjptd
Grafter

or to 'Net' or 'MinusNet'?