cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to switch wifi off/on online at night

jamgormac

how to switch wifi off/on online at night

I am reading more and more about the detrimental effects of wifi radio waves on people and i know it is possible to turn it on or off  wifi online without physically  turning off the router which can upset the output when turned back on. does anybody know how to do this.
50 REPLIES 50
cajef
Grafter

Re: how to switch wifi off/on online at night

There is usually a button or switch on the router to turn just the Wi-Fi on or off.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

some routers allow time scheduling so you can have a static time when its on /off on a daily schedule, and its quite common for them to have a button often not clearly visible in the wifi led /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
billnotben
Community Veteran

On my router when you log into its settings page there is an enable / disable wifi selection.
What router is yours?
FreddieFlint
Grafter

I'm thinking it's time to don the tinfoil-covered colander ..
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What about the effects of the broadband signal in your telephone wires?  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Not quite the same though foxy... it's a signal yes but it isn't actively transmitted like radio waves - which are basically radiation.
I prefer to keep the wifi turned off too.
You may laugh but people once laughed at the guy who invented the phone - thinking nobody would use it. Now it's one of the most serious inventions of all time. People once laughed at the idea that smoking was bad for you... and it was actively encouraged as being good for you. Now look.... In the 60s people dispelled drugs as being bad... now look how screwed up society is - people with mental disorders, drug dependancy etc.
So.. don't take the mick foxy me ol mate. If someone wants to reduce their EM exposure they have the right to ask how to without being laughed at.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

although tong in cheek I suspect foxy was being serious, the copper wires will transmit the broadband frequency to the surrounding area, of course its in the radio spectrum but the carrier wave is considerably lower down the spectrum.... he forgot to mention that most standard wifi routers (transceivers)  actually emit less than the average mobile phone  or  3g dongle or microwave oven, or even a crt screen ....
the router wifi isn't necessarily a good thing to switch off either since wifi devices like phones/tablets etc will still be trying to find it switching them from low to high power mode as they search for the known wifi source (which also causes higher battery drain if not on charge) if your not also going round turning them all off (or at least switching off their wifi connections )
a standard router in standard configuration (not in bridge mode or high power modes) comes with a fairly detailed S.A.R table some of the more expensive ones include the various modes in that table and when compared ot a standard smartphone the signals are pretty much the same give or take a few days of exposure, if you want to allay your fears a good test is,
go to the local shop and buy a box of 30 eggs, take a large metal box (biscuit tin etc) cut a hole in it for the leads place the router on its highest power setting for wifi inside the tin along with a 5 eggs and close the lid, place every mobile device you have with wifi switched on into a second tin with another 5 eggs and close it, (probably a good idea to have a hole in the side for all the chargers as well) take a second identical router and put it on standard settings and do the same with regards the box and 5 eggs, set the remaining eggs to one side for use later as control specimens.
leave it 24 hours come back and crack 1 egg from each of the boxes and the control batch into separate glasses, check them for visual differences, come back after 7 days and test another egg from each box and the control batch, come back after 10 days then 15 and  again at the 20 day point then just for kicks do it at the 25 day point
this simulates the brain in point blank proximity to those devices non stop for the length of time given,
let us know if you notice any changes in the egg's being tested for cooking factor where the control sample doesn't also exhibit the same symptoms and just how long it was in the makeshift microwave for
some people have reported it took 2 months others have suggested the eggs were just gone off making the results invalid, no idea which is right but i'm willing to bet you don't find any cooking effect
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Well, the whole idea behind WiFi is that each device is able to broadcast radio waves (or Wireless, as we used to call the Radio). Cheesy
I'd advise you to stay indoors during the daytime.
The sun emits absolutely massive amounts of "EM waves"
and even at night there is a huge amount of neutrinos passing through your body.
So you can't win can you? Grin Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

nanotm, there's no way I'm going to say you've given some eggselent advice
Quote from: nanotm
although tong in cheek I suspect foxy was being serious, the copper wires will transmit the broadband frequency to the surrounding area, of course its in the radio spectrum but the carrier wave is considerably lower down the spectrum....

No they aren't going to radiate, the phone line is a balanced pair. Any leakage will give a signal less than the MW broadcast stations that sit in the ADSL spectrum, especially at night.
he forgot to mention that most standard wifi routers (transceivers)  actually emit less than the average mobile phone  or  3g dongle or microwave oven, or even a crt screen ....

You better take your microwave oven to be fixed and get rid of your clapped out CRT screen then if it's that bad! Crazy
the router wifi isn't necessarily a good thing to switch off either since wifi devices like phones/tablets etc will still be trying to find it switching them from low to high power mode as they search for the known wifi source (which also causes higher battery drain if not on charge) if your not also going round turning them all off (or at least switching off their wifi connections )

OK, you did mention it, but what a load of bull. Anyone sensible enough to turn off the wifi on their router is going to have their mobile phone wifi switched off, if not the phone itself Roll_eyes
nanotm
Pro

your aware that its till on the advice book of a lot of microwave ovens not to put your face within 10 cm of the door whilst its working because the emissions at that distance can screw up your eyes right ? there was similar advice for crt screens although I think that said not to be within 3 feet of the screen (which is one of the main reasons for the speedy adoption of the more expensive to produce flat panel's.
as you quoted i said the broadcast from the phone lines was a lot lower down the spectrum, anyone interested could look it up on the wiki article where it states its between 25khz and 12mhz depending on what type of broadband your getting... hence leaving it as just "lower", furthermore every wire or cable that has any kind of signal flowing through it will radiate some of that signal to some degree especially as the phone system is unshielded twisted pair......

as to the last bit, you'd be amazed how may people don't even think to switch of the signals from the devices when they setup the automatic timer on the router /
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

as you quoted i said the broadcast from the phone lines was a lot lower down the spectrum, anyone interested could look it up on the wiki article where it states its between 25khz and 12mhz depending on what type of broadband your getting... hence leaving it as just "lower", furthermore every wire or cable that has any kind of signal flowing through it will radiate some of that signal to some degree especially as the phone system is unshielded twisted pair.....

It's got nothing to do with being "lower down the spectrum" - it's considerably lower power! As I said, the signals you'll be getting from Broadcast AM and other radio transmissions in the spectrum used by broadband will be somewhat higher than anything radiated from your telephone line!
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Simply buy some lead sheet, fold it into a box shape open at one end and place over your router, remove it when needing WIFI.
Job done !
Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

That's OK as long as you make sure to point the open end of the box towards your neighbours and not into your own property, the box might just act as a crude waveguide.  Grin
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
FreddieFlint
Grafter

We're all doomed .... Crazy