Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zyxel VMG3925 WiFi problems with new devices

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Zyxel VMG3925 WiFi problems with new devices

Out of interest, is the Zyxel a -B10B or a -B10C ?

I've been using the B10C as a trial for a while now. Whilst the GUI can be a tad sluggish at times, I've not really noticed any issues other than the wireless channel auto selection. Certainly I don't recall most of my changes requiring a reboot.

Its certainly MUCH better than the standard PlusNet Hub one, the modem is better and at least you can set your own DNS servers.

I understand your point about using both routers though. Before the Zyxel I was using a TP link 9970 as a modem in front of a Draytek 2830.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

flamesong
Grafter

It's a B10C. I didn't include that bit as I thought it was a regional variation. Frankly, I know nothing about Zyxel products - I was guessing.

I'm not 100% sure that the router is rebooting but for about 2m the interface is unresponsive and inaccessible and there are no networks (apart from my neighbour's) in my WiFi menu whenever I apply ANY changes. There may well be functions within the interface that I cannot access. My browser of choice is Brave but after trying Safari and others all of which reported errors when I tried to change settings, I had to download Chrome to do anything - so it wouldn't surprise me if bits are not loading properly.

Funny, since changing to channel 6, websites are taking a couple of seconds before they begin to load so I checked the DNS settings (I had been using OpenDNS on previous routers) but even that seems to be simplified only allowing one IP address per server.

I didn't have problems like this before JLBB/Plusnet upgraded my connection to fibre (in order to mitigate the monthly payment increase when my contract ended) which meant that I had to get a new router as my trusty ten year old Netgear DGND3300v2 would no longer work. I took one look at the interface of the Zyxel that they sent me and went shopping for a fibre modem router which didn't look like an alien landing module and hence bought the D6400 which at least only looks like a slice of the 2001 monolith. My download speed has barely changed, by the way, upload is better but half what was claimed.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The B10C is the latest one being used for JL customers. The SU's(Superusers) were asked if we would like to trial them back in March when they started shipping. They don't support IPTV and so can't be the standard router for Plusnet customers who may subscribe to Plusnet TV. The interface is not the worlds best looking, I agree, but it does seem to be functional.

Funny, since changing to channel 6, websites are taking a couple of seconds before they begin to load so I checked the DNS settings (I had been using OpenDNS on previous routers) but even that seems to be simplified only allowing one IP address per server.

I currently use OpenDNS and am not seeing any problems.

My download speed has barely changed, by the way, upload is better but half what was claimed.

Do you mean the download hasn't changed fom the ADSL speed ?

What does the router show in the xDSL stats ? and what does 'Current Line Speed' show when you login to the member centre and click the Broadband tab ? and do you have a static IP ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

flamesong
Grafter

I didn't actually apply OpenDNS to the DNS settings as the single IP address field kind of fazed me (I've always seen primary and secondary fields) so as I have never changed the DNS settings on this router before and I am planning how I might to migrate back to the Netgear, I decided to leave it so it is (I guess) using Plusnet's DNS.

No, download is pretty much what ADSL was - maybe I'm getting a 1-2 Mbps bump (according to Speedtest) but it hasn't made a dramatic difference to my life. As mentioned earlier, I live in a remote area but I'm only about half a mile from the exchange. I don't think BT are particularly motivated to improve things, especially as homes about five miles away had 14.4k dialup speeds up until a year or so ago - seriously, a friend of mine couldn't check his e-mail without his girlfriend complaining that eBay was 'down'.

I don't have a static IP per se, in that it isn't supposed to be but I have only had two different IP addresses in the past year or so. I had assumed that a static IP had been imposed as I had tried to force a change a while back by reconnecting (to circumvent an IP download restriction) and couldn't shake it off but about two months ago it changed and has stayed the same since.

I have enclosed a screenshot of the xDSL stats, if you mean the Broadband tab of the member centre on the JLBB website, it doesn't give that information.

I've also added a snippet for an earlier poster who berated me for bringing my JLBB problem to a Plusnet forum. I've been with JLBB and Plusnet alternately for about ten years, I have switched a few times when my contract has ended because the monthly fee went up and I could get a substantial new customer reduction. Stupid, I know but they are not my rules. I was about to switch back to Plusnet when my contract ended and the cost went up without warning (my contract missed the new legal requirement to inform by about a month). Anyway, JLBB offered me the new fibre contract to retain me. [sarcasm]The Zyxel router is my loyalty reward.[/sarcasm]

xdsl.png

jlbb-plusnet.png

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

didn't actually apply OpenDNS to the DNS settings as the single IP address field kind of fazed me (I've always seen primary and secondary fields)

you must be in the wrong place then, there is primary & secondary. You need to be in Network settings-》broadband , select the vdsl link and click edit. You should see the dns config 

Of course doh! Jlbb don't have current line speed or staticbip's

The dsl stats don't show the data rates i was looking for , they're a bit further down

As regards jl and the forums, then yes, the plusnet staff who monitor are not able to provide support for jl problems. Others on here who like me are customers will try and help if we can but we obviously have no access to accounts and so can't provide formal support

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@flamesong wrote:

I've also added a snippet for an earlier poster who berated me for bringing my JLBB problem to a Plusnet forum. 

jlbb-plusnet.png

@flamesong 

It's common knowledge that John Lewis Broadband is provided by PlusNet.

The earlier poster you refer to was only stating what is also fairly common knowledge ... that John Lewis Broadband issues will not be dealt with by PlusNet staff on the PlusNet forums.

That has been stated on several occasions by a respected, very helpful, member of the PlusNet team (FYI I'm not a PN staffer Wink ).

e.g.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Introductions/Hello/m-p/1698647/highlight/true#M690

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Moving-to-John-Lewis/m-p/1534963/highlight/true#M19259

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/keep-waitrose-e-mail-address-if-moving...

flamesong
Grafter

Yes, the reason I posted the screenshot of the xDSL stats is that that is all that is there, there is nothing to scroll down to.

Okay, I found the DNS settings under Broadband, I found DNS settings under Network Setting > DNS (192.168.1.1/DNS) and naturally assumed that that was it (see image).

dns.png

flamesong
Grafter

I don't know why this is being made into such a big deal.

The screenshot I uploaded states that I have a contract with Plusnet; ergo, I am a Plusnet customer by any legal definition.

If, as Plusnet staff, they will not help, thanks for letting me know that some Plusnet customers are not entitled to Plusnet staff's attention, but I came here as a de facto, if not de jure, Plusnet customer to discuss my issue with other Plusnet customers.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Okay, I found the DNS settings under Broadband, I found DNS settings under Network Setting > DNS (192.168.1.1/DNS) and naturally assumed that that was it (see image).

That allows you to set entries in the router dns cache i.e to resolve those hosts without going to the external dns servers.

There is more info in the dsl stats , it just doesn't appear to have a scrollbar until you click into it and drag

Example below

============================================================================
VDSL Training Status: Showtime
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
G.Vector: Disable
Traffic Type: PTM Mode
Link Uptime: 78 days: 4 hours: 33 minutes
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 10.057 Mbps 39.998 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 9.999 Mbps 39.999 Mbps
Trellis Coding: ON ON
SNR Margin: 11.5 dB 11.3 dB
Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
Transmit Power: 7.6 dBm 12.6 dBm
Receive Power: -6.0 dBm -9.8 dBm
Actual INP: 0.0 symbols 52.0 symbols
Total Attenuation: 13.4 dB 22.3 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate: 20.883 Mbps 69.426 Mbps
VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
Line Attenuation(dB): 6.4 28.4 42.9 N/A 13.5 32.4 49.0
Signal Attenuation(dB): 6.4 27.0 40.6 N/A 18.3 32.1 49.0
SNR Margin(dB): 11.6 11.5 11.5 N/A 11.3 11.3 11.3
Transmit Power(dBm): 0.3 -14.9 6.4 N/A 8.3 8.2 6.6

flamesong
Grafter

Ah, the thing like the field expand tab in the bottom corner.

VDSL Training Status: Showtime
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
G.Vector: Disable
Traffic Type: PTM Mode
Link Uptime: 0 day: 20 hours: 19 minutes
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 2.757 Mbps 28.773 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 2.725 Mbps 28.774 Mbps
Trellis Coding: ON ON
SNR Margin: 6.1 dB 4.2 dB
Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
Transmit Power: 6.6 dBm 12.6 dBm
Receive Power: -11.7 dBm -15.3 dBm
Actual INP: 0.0 symbols 50.0 symbols
Total Attenuation: 18.4 dB 28.0 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate: 2.725 Mbps 29.575 Mbps
VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
Line Attenuation(dB): 12.0 65.2 N/A N/A 25.8 79.0 90.3
Signal Attenuation(dB): 12.0 64.1 N/A N/A 27.6 81.1 N/A
SNR Margin(dB): 6.1 6.1 N/A N/A 4.2 4.2 N/A
Transmit Power(dBm): 0.2 5.5 N/A N/A 12.2 2.4 N/A

VDSL Counters

Downstream Upstream
Since Link time = 19 min 35 sec
FEC: 8757503 1108
CRC: 6 434
ES: 5 281
SES: 2 0
UAS: 0 0
LOS: 0 0
LOF: 0 0
LOM: 0 0
Retr: 0
HostInitRetr: 0
FailedRetr: 0
Latest 15 minutes time = 5 min 13 sec
FEC: 25135 0
CRC: 0 0
ES: 0 0
SES: 0 0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
FEC: 26918 0
Retr: N/A
HostInitRetr: N/A
FailedRetr: N/A
Latest 1 day time = 20 hours 20 min 13 sec
UAS: 37 37
Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
FEC: 0 0
Total time = 20 hours 20 min 13 sec
UAS: 37 37

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That upstream isn't very good is it!. Compared to mine, you'll notice that the attenuation in the upstream band U1 is pretty high and you have no signal in band U2. For info I'm about 400m from the cabinet.

Are you connected to the master socket ?

Do you have a filtered faceplate ?

Have you tried eliminating and internal wiring issues by connecting to the test socket(behind the faceplate) ?

Do you have any noise apparent on voice calls , try the quiet line test 17070

What are the BT wholesale estimates https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com for your line ? (if you post the results, redact your phone number this is a public forum)

flamesong
Grafter

I know it isn't particularly good but in rural areas, you have to take what you get and I manage. As I said previously, a friend five miles away was getting 14.4k dialup speed until recently so I feel quite fortunate with what I have - apart from the router modem but as soon as I get a quiet day, I'm going to switch back.

Yes to master socket.

Yes to filtered faceplate - newly fitted about 18 months ago.

Yes to using socket behind faceplate.

No noise.

But none of this is a problem for me, the d/l speed allows me to do what I want to do - when the WiFi connects!

bbc-btw.png

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The speeds you're getting are pretty much at the top of the estimates, so that's about as good as it's going to get without moving closer to the cabinet I'm afraid!. As you say, that's the trade off for living in rural area.

AFAIK both the Netgear 6400 and the Zyxel 3925 use the Broadcom VDSL chipset , so their raw speeds should be very similar.

Let's hope going back to the 6400 improves the wifi , be interesting to hear the results

flamesong
Grafter

Unable to sleep last night, I took advantage of the fact that nobody was using the internet to swap routers.

The Netgear D6400 was still configured with the same SSIDs that the Zyxel has so it was a straight swap, really. Everything in the house reconnected seamlessly except the Philips television which required me to enter the network password again.

When I had tried to connect the television using the Zyxel, the Connecting... screen would linger for about two minutes as I would wait to see if my luck was in. As I mentioned earlier, it was usually not and if I did get connected, it was often with a warning that the connection was 'restricted' but without mention how. Anyway, with the Netgear, the connection was made in less than 20 seconds to both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. My fibre connection has been quite stable of late so even if the reconnection issue of the Netgear D6400 has survived the numerous intervening firmware updates, hopefully, it won't be much hassle.

I haven't tried the Roku yet as it is back in its box and will require the television to be unmounted from the wall to reinstall it - not something I wanted to be doing in the middle of the night.

Apart from anything else, it is a joy to be using a comprehensible UI where everything is laid out systemically and most things are a click or two from the side menu.

I read a post about somebody having similar problems connecting another brand of television to their WiFi network and somebody suggested checking the router's firewall settings. I found the Zyxel firewall settings and stared blankly at them - there was really nothing more than three traffic light options (albeit in reverse) with no real explanation what each option meant in practical terms. The problem may lay in there but I'm glad that the Zyxel is now back in its box and I don't have to think about it anymore.