Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Connection

FallenAngel
Dabbler

TV Connection

Ok Here Goes..........  Just joined Plusnet so hello all

Have to say first  I am disabled and have learning difficulties and  I am a complete numpty non techie

Here is my problem if anyone can help, thanks for your time and patience:

I live in a rural area, no mobile phone reception etc so I use a satellte dish (no subscrptions)  This is connected to a Humax Foxsat HDR via 2 cables. This is then connected to the Panasonic Viera via an HDMI cable.  (I also have a surround sound system but I have taken that out of the equation for now) The Humax is connected to the router via an Ethernet Cable

I set up my Plusnet router and all my devices (pc/kindle/printer)  connect wirelessly

I then connected my TV via WPS and it said connection successful.

I can acccess the Web/Youtube/apps etc  however when I try to select On Demand (either via the Humax or the TV remotes) I keep getting a message saying 'You need an Internet Connection to access this Service)

I have checked the Router and the only devices it shows connected are my PC and Kindle

I watched a Youtube video which said to type in the router address (192  etc)  and to click on Wireless  on the left hand side but there is no option.

Like I said, I am not the brightest spark,  but i can't work out what I need to do.

If anyone can help  it would be appreciated

Thanks

FACrazy3

30 REPLIES 30
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: TV Connection

You appear to be using wireless to connect to the TV and Ethernet for the Humax box. I would concentrate on the Humax box. Go into the settings on the Humax box and find the network options. It's in menu / system / network. Select configure Ethernet / OK / configure IP / OK /select DCHP / OK and see if that works.

When you chack your router the Humax box should be listed as a LAN connection, not wireless 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

FallenAngel
Dabbler

Thanks   I tried that  but no joy.   The router does not show the Humax, only my PC and Kindle   It doesn't show the TV either even though it is connected.  

Baldrick1

What router do you have?

Have you tried a different Ethernet cable?

Moderator and Customer

FallenAngel
Dabbler

The router is the one that Plusnet supplied.  The ethernet cable is run through the attic and walls  but I have connected other devices to it without problem.  I have also connected the TV and the Humax directly with a different cable (which I also know works)  but again no result

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Have you tried re-booting the router?

Brian

Baldrick1

@FallenAngel wrote:

The router is the one that Plusnet supplied.  

Not very helpful I'm afraid. It could be one of three.

Do you have anything else that you could plug into the Ethernet cable such as a laptop with the wireless switched off so that you can check if data is getting down the cable?

Moderator and Customer

FallenAngel
Dabbler

It says 2704n on the bottom

I can't connect a cable directly from a device into the Bt wall socket as it one of the new Mark 4  which assumes you have wireless connections.

Thanks for all your help   but I think I may have to get someone out. I have great trouble trying to locate and plug in different wires as each component is in a different place.

I just thought there might be an easy answer or something I was missing   but it is not the end of the world if I cant get On demand!!Roll_eyes

Baldrick1

@FallenAngel wrote:

It says 2704n on the bottom

I can't connect a cable directly from a device into the Bt wall socket as it one of the new Mark 4  which assumes you have wireless connections.

One last thing before we give up, You should be able to see if the Hunax is connected to the router via the Ethernet cable by looking at the lights on the router. The LAN light should come on when you plug the Ethernet cable into the LAN socket. If its constant green then it's plugged in, if it's flashing green it's transferring data.

I'm afraid that I have no idea what you mean by your second paragraph.

Moderator and Customer

FallenAngel
Dabbler

There isn't a 'LAN' port as such  but the  ethernet port that the cable from the Humax is connected too is flashing sporadically.

I conntacted Digital TV and Freeview who both say I am in a 'blackspot' (which I know I am regarding mobile phone) but I said that I previously, for a year, could access On Demand. They basically said it must have been a 'fluke' and that I shouldn't have! My postcode is LD3 [xxx] and I am, apparently, 46k away from the transmitter at Carmel which gives pretty [-Censored-] tranmission.

I am grateful for your help but I hate to be wasting your time

Paul

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

Baldrick1

I fear that you are getting confused. You may well be in a Freeview dead spot, which means that you cannot receive terrestrial TV reception on the receiver built into your TV. That is why you must use the Humax Foxsat receiver to watch TV, which picks up your TV programmes from a satellite, not from your nearest transmitter. 

On demand programmes again are totally disconnected from terrestrial TV, they are streamed over the Internet, and this is the link you are having problems with.

When I used the term LAN port, this is just another name for what you know as the Ethernet port.

I'm afraid that contacting Digital TV and Freeview have just confused you with what in the context of your application is irrelevant and in terms of on demand services, incorrect information.

The fact that you are getting a green light on the router Ethernet port indicates that there is a physical connection, the sporadic flashing suggests that it is trying to connect but failing. Did you do the checks I previously suggested to make sure the Ethernet is set correctly in the Humax?

Moderator and Customer

FallenAngel
Dabbler

Hi again

Yes I understand re On Demand/Internet which I why i felt Freeview were fobbing me off and I cannot work out why I can access the internet but not On Demand

I tune the TV via the Humax, manually I get over 300 Channels, so I always do an auto tune and then edit them

I did what you suggested re the Humax, the Port on the hub is dark green and flickers every few seconds or so almost like on/off  unlike the other lights which flash almost constantly

When I set the Humax, as you suggested, I got th efollowing readings:

IP ADDRESS :192.168.1.5

SUBNET MASK : 255.255.255.0

Router ADDRESS : 192.168.1.254

DNS ADDRESS: 56 36 64 0

ETH  DC D3 21 17 BE 71

It seems as tough something is 'blocking' just the On Demand signal. 

I have Windows Defender turned off and I use BullGuard Antivirus

The TV and Humax have NO parental guides set

Not sure if that helps?

Paul

FallenAngel
Dabbler

ps....... Do you think the Humax may be on the blink, it is 7 yrs old?

Baldrick1

OK, I may know what the problem is. With respect to the Humax, I have been through the manual again and note that the Ethernet port is there 'for future use'. Whilst it is connected to the router does not appear to be configured for On Demand services. So we appear to have been chasing a red herring!

What I suspect that you have been doing in the past is watch live TV on the Humax but catch up services on your Smart TV. You say that the TV is connected to the internet by wireless. Try that to start off with. On the TV remote select TV to disconnect the Humax input. Select Apps on the TV remote and apps such as I Player should be there.

If the Internet is buffering then remove the Ethernet cable from the Humax and plug it into the TV. You may need to go into the Network Settings through the TV remote Menu to change it from wireless to Ethernet.

To watch live TV use the TV remote to change the Input back to AV or HDMI to select the Humax.

Fingers crossed this does the trick.

Moderator and Customer

FallenAngel
Dabbler

You are being extremely kind and helpful.  I have tried that but again without success. The Humax is supposed to offer On Demand which is why i used the cable.  I spoke to Panasonic a few weeks ago and they were totally disinterested to th epoint of being rude.  I scoured a few forums on Panasonic/On Demand problems and it appears there is a worldwide problem with the internet cutting out/apps disappearing/no or only part on demand.   It led me to a Panasonic dealer in Cardiff who, like yourself, is one of the most helpful people I have spoken with.  He said that, whilst Panasonic will not admit it (which is what a lot of people seem to be suspecting and saying) he said that they are deliberately altering their services, via their servers, to gradually remove all on demand from their present TV's. Apparently they have already removed ITV Hub.  He suggested I buy a TV stick, eg Amazon, which will bypass the TV all together.  If that is true is not good practise and, as the tv is only 2 yrs old, it is not fit for purpose but the problem is proving it.   I will wait to hear what you think but, for the money, I might just buy one.   The only other way is to take it back to PC World/Currys  who want to charge £99 to 'investigate' th eproblem but gven what this guy from Panasonic says I don't  thing I would trust them...........