Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Connection

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: TV Connection

OK so I guess it's time for Plan 'B'.

Your best bet is probably to give up and go for a streaming device such as either an Amazon Fire Stick or an Amazon Fire TV. The Fire Stick is WiFi only so it depends on how good your wireless signal is at the TV location. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ETRIFOW/ref=gw_smp_tank_grey?pf_rd_p=efc5319d-7702-4db0-b361-6572607c.... If It's not very good then the Fire TV is a better bet as it has an Ethernet connection. You can get all the free catch up programmes on this. If you sign up to Amazon Prime then you can also access a load of Amazon programmes, films, music etc. but this is not mandatory.

However, let's not get carried away with thoughts of scrapping the TV. The streaming device plugs into an HDMI port on the TV and you select it just the same way as you do your Humax box. We're talking £39.99 for a Fire Stick, not hundreds for a new TV.

No doubt others will come in with their own favourite streaming device such as Chromecast but I cannot advise on these  - I use a Fire TV for catch up services.

I am assuming that you have a minimum of two HDMI connectors on your TV (one for the Humax and one for the Streaming device). If not an HDMI switch only costs a few pounds.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Excellent advice.

Personally I tried chromecast (first version) and found it kept freezing up, also you have to cast it via your tablet which is a pain.

I now use a android box and have had no problems with it.

As mentioned in earlier posts there are other options such as firestick

By coincidence I have been replacing a panasonic pvr today, the instructions are (censored)(censored)but as it's a straight swop for a older panasonic it was straightforward.

It has a ethernet socket and the instructions say that should be connected for updates, yet further on it says updates can be ota so I can see no advantage in making that connection.

I am aware your problem is totally different but it might be useful to hear from anyone else who has a similar set up to yourself

We are born into history and history is born into us.
FallenAngel
Dabbler

Thanks once again.  But here I have go back to being a non techie, given my limitations (and ageRoll_eyes) I am literally learning as I go.

I already have Amazon Prime mainly because of my rural location (it makes sense to order things online as even if I did the 30mile round trip into town there are only basic shops and the nearest retail park is a 70 mile round trip)

I did some research/reviews on the Fire Stick and the Fire Tv and basically most reviews say there is nought much between them unless you are into gaming (which I am not) in which case why spend more than you need (their words not mine)  so I think the former would probably be best for me. The TV has 3 HDMI slots so, (assuming I keep the Humax) that leaves 2 spare. Download speed is pretty good so that isn't a major issue and it isn't a 4k TV (well I am pretty sure it isn't but then, what do I know?Cheesy)

The only thing I couldnt work out is what is advantage of having Prime Membership (does it mean ALL Amazon content is included as, at the moment, some films and TV shows have to be paid for)

and also exactly which On Demand Channels are included?

I already have the BBCiplayer app on the TV (unless Panasonic remove that too)  so I am really looking for ITV Hub/Channel 4 and Channel5     will it give me those?Huh

Crazy2

FallenAngel
Dabbler

sorry  what is a panasonic pvr???Embarrassed

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Sorry,

PVR stands for personal video recorder.

The Humax you have is the same ie. Personal Video Recorder.

It can be a right pain trying to set some things up if like me you are not technical minded or do not have a background in electronics.

In my case age does not help 70+ as things I could sort out fairly quickly take ages now, not helped by poor instructions and jargon,

Hope you get something sorted.

Smiley

We are born into history and history is born into us.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Baldrick1 wrote:

OK so I guess it's time for Plan 'B'.

Your best bet is probably to give up and go for a streaming device such as either an Amazon Fire Stick or an Amazon Fire TV. The Fire Stick is WiFi only so it depends on how good your wireless signal is at the TV location. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ETRIFOW/ref=gw_smp_tank_grey?pf_rd_p=efc5319d-7702-4db0-b361-6572607c.... If It's not very good then the Fire TV is a better bet as it has an Ethernet connection. 

Worth noting they dropped Ethernet from the new/current Fire TV

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Tv-With-4K-Ultra-HD-And-Alexa-Voice-Remote-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B...

However they now sell an optional adapter (that works equally well with the Fire Stick)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Ethernet-Adaptor-Remote-models/dp/B01LXP5TXI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-te...

And there are slightly cheaper third party adapters available too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Ethernet-Adapter-Chromecast-Raspberry/dp/B01N1X28F1/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=...

FallenAngel
Dabbler

I am afraid that I am getting really confused now but that could be because I have been reading all the 'questions & answers' on Amazon.

If I already have Amazon Prime and my TV gives me BBCiplayer via an app, and the Humax gives me Freesat channels, pause and rewind live TV etc..........  what is the Firestick going to give me in addition? as I can only see ITVHub?

D'Oh

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

For reference I have a Foxsat HDR running custom firmware which gives me a range of extra features including a web page where I can reconfigure the device and install various packages.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
FallenAngel
Dabbler

Thank you  I bought the Humax in 2012 and it has never been updated, I have tried both manually and using the Auto select

Forgive my ignorance and for repeating myself but i am a complet non techie  so I am not sure how to do this?

Embarrassed

Baldrick1

FallenAngel wrote:

If I already have Amazon Prime and my TV gives me BBCiplayer via an app, and the Humax gives me Freesat channels, pause and rewind live TV etc..........  what is the Firestick going to give me in addition? as I can only see ITVHub?

If you're already paying fot Prime then you're losing out not having a Fire Stick. You get thousands of free movies, not the latest stuff but there's a very big range. There's thousands of music tracks you can stream, Amazon in house TV series such as The Grand Tour plus the free to air catch up channels. These include iPlayer, BBC News,  ITV Hub, AllFour and UK TV Play. 

All this is free. If you want to watch the latest films then you can pay to view.

Moderator and Customer

FallenAngel
Dabbler

I found the link for custom firmware    but I really don't know where to go from there......... Embarrassed

Baldrick1

To be brutally honest, if as you say, you are 'non techie' then this is not the solution for you. Sorry if that sounds patronising.

Moderator and Customer

FallenAngel
Dabbler

Well, funnily enough I spent some time today researching it, and I actaully managed to do it!!!   I learnt how to format a USB stick, downloaded the file to it and then updated the Humax. Amazing what you can do if you apply yourself!   I am embarressed to say I did not even know that the front of the Humax flipped down and there was a USB port Embarrassed but it all worked  ok.  The only downside is that, although the Humax software was updated, it didn't solve my initial problem. But i have ordered a Fire Stick due for delivery tomorrow  so thanks for everyone for taking the time to read this and for the amzing help given!!Thumbs_UpThumbs_Up

Baldrick1

Well done, you're obviously much more 'techie' then you were admitting to. I would have been very nervous updating the Humax unless I fully understood how to recover the original firmware for fear of locking the device up totally and terminally.

I hope that the Firestick resolves all your problems.

Moderator and Customer

FallenAngel
Dabbler

Hi....not really as I din't really think about backup!!!!   D'oh   Roll_eyes

I also spoke with someone from Panasonic who was suprisingly helpgul. He suggested I try changing the network settings on the TV and sent me quite a detailed email. Unfortunately that didn't work, something to do with Gateway, so he sent me another code (again didn't work)  and finally suggested I contact Plusnet and ask them to check their settings. So I did and a guy said he would send an email with instructions which so far hasn't arrived.  I am expecting the Firestick today so all may be irrelevant  but, as my partner constantly reminds me, "I am like a dog with a bone and surely must have better things to do in life!!!"  so I will let it roll  a bit further....Evil