Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Top Box

Arthur2
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Set Top Box

I need to source a good quality Freeview set top box with a hard drive for storage and WiFi enabled iplayer facility.

Which recommended two Humax models (HB1100S & HDR2000T) but, on reading their full summary and individual reviews, I don't know, as some of the reviewers also said, how they made it as best buys.

Any recommendations would be appreciated without prejudice.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Set Top Box

Hi I purchased direct from Humax see link below the best box I have had with no problems

I think they supply Sky with their boxes.

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/special-offers.html

Brian A

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a thought make sure you buy a freeview box if that's what you need and not a freesat box because they need a dish not an ariel

Arthur2
Hooked

Yes, good point, it is a Freeview box.

Which model did you actually buy?

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

8BKA wrote:

I think they supply Sky with their boxes.

They don't and never have. Sky boxes have been built under license by various manufacturers over the years, including Pace, Grundig, Panasonic, Thomson and Amstrad.

But since Sky bought Amstrad in about 2008 with the intention of keeping all design an manufacturing in-house they've been the sole manufacturer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again  my box is a model they no longer make so I cannot help there but has a 500HD which is more than large enough.

If I going to buy a new one I would go for the FVP 4000T 500GB Cappuccino its only has a 500gb HD £159 the other cheaper £149 one has a 1TB HD but looks like an older model.

Both have three HD tuners.

Brian A

Arthur2
Hooked

I may have a connectivity issue with the Freeview/PVR

The box in question would have to rely on the inbuilt WiFi, a min of 3Mbs being required, as my router and office is in another room. That could be a problem as my line can drop as low as 2.8Mbs (according to the Which? speed checker)

i do have the main BT socket only two meters away from the box though, is there any way that I can hard wire the box to it with an ethernet cable?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I would check that with the Humax helpline  0344 318 8800  

My box does have a Ethernet connection and the product description it says 

Ethernet x1

Arthur2
Hooked

Yes, good idea to give them a call.

azc