cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Router does not support a wireless printer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plusnet Router does not support a wireless printer

@POMPEYFAN - I don’t think it’s a case of the Router not working, if anything I think the Printer may well be connecting to another Network. Can you see what other networks are around you?

For my money I’d be dumping (jumping up and down on) a printer that needs to phone home before I can use it the concept is crazy to be honest, what it you need it at a critical time and there’s no Internet. It's windy, a tree falls over and takes out your phone line and you need to print off proof of home insurance!

I digress, you can easily buy a cheap networked printer for around the £40 that you can connect to one of the ports on your router that will allow access to all users on the LAN.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could get a cheap monochrome laser for £40.

No more dried up ink cartridges!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MikeRDavies

The printer was connected to the PN Hub One which was confirmed on the display (see my previous email). The bottom line is that the very same printer is working fine (right now) on the previous PN router (now called Hub One), so it would be a waste of money to buy a new printer when there is nothing wrong with mine. I should have been jumping up and down on the PN Hub One.

MikeRDavies

See my last post.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

See my post #60 Roll_eyesRoll_eyesRoll_eyes

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

POMPEYFAN
Grafter

Don't try and be smart with me....

WHAT DO YOU THINK I'M USING!!!!!

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Please forgive me if you've tried this already, but my son has the very same printer connected to a BTHH5 and it works perfectly fine. The Plusnet Hub One and the BTHH5 are the same.

The only differences are:

1) we didn't sign up the HP's remote ink service

2) I have always turned off the default WPS facility on any of my routers, even though this PNH1 comes with extended? protection.

3) this really shouldn't have any bearing, but use the hubs other default IP address range of 172.16.0.64 to 172.16.255.254.

I've just spoke to him (he's upstairs) and asked him to jog my memory as it's been a while since we set it up. We do not leave it on when nobody uses it, thus we power it up and can print from any of our other devices around the home and it has worked well. Having said that I have my own printer at my desk so do not use 'his' printer.

We now both recall having to run the CD whilst the printer was connected to his laptop during the set up process, until we were prompted to disconnect it, it then connected.

So, have you turned off WPS and tried this way?

We also split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz and ensure the printer is only connecting via the 2.4GHz.

Other than this, he's (understandably) reluctant to disconnect it to assist with your fault finding.

This is all I have to offer, less to say we have one working.

RadioFox
Grafter

@DS...It has already been suggested to the OP that he tries another method of connecting the printer as per my last post last December, before the thread was resurrected on Thursday:-

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Plusnet-Router-does-not-support-a-wire...

It's still not clear whether the OP tried alternative methods, as he never replied to my post.

MikeRDavies

DS, Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. There is certainly something quite subtle involved here. My printer is an HP Officejet Pro 6970 with six months HP Print Service free -but that has never caused any issues. Can you confirm your son is using this printer? I spent in the region of eight hours trying absolutely everything to pin down why my printer would not connect to the PN Hub One. By this time I was getting paranoid as having no printer would (for me) be worse than dropping my mobile in a river (which I did once, in Australia). 

Having got to this stage it finally occurred to me that all I had changed was the router so I reinstalled the PN 2704N and  the printer showed 'connected' immediately on all three of my laptops. I share your son's reluctance to mess with something that works (my current state of affairs), but at the same time it is nice to identify the real cause of a problem like this.

When you have a considerable number of devices using wifi it can be quite an effort to re-connect them. So called smart       devices are the worst as they need their own app to configure them. I intend to wait for my blood pressure to return to normal and then might have another go. 

Mike

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

No problem Smiley

As per your message#4

The Printer is an HP Deskjet 3630 wireless printer.

This is the one he's using, not the HP Officejet Pro 6970, or have misread the above?

Unless you have both connecting, then this could be why, again unless I've misunderstood your setup?

It is odd that in your case it connected perfectly to your previous router..Undecided

But as I mentioned, we didn't partake in the offer from HP to have them monitor our ink levels, maybe this is why his works and yours doesn't - possibly the hubs firewall is blocking the connection somehow?

Literally everything here that could connect via wifi, has where possible, been moved over to ethernet now. Having said that, this laptop was 'better for me' to be wifi, alas to say it has recently been having difficulties with the hubs latest firmware and it's currently connecting via ethernet. Maybe this new issue for me is not only me and you're having the same wifi issue. I simply don't know, but my own fault finding is pointing at the hub being the cause.

Maybe it's time for me to move away from ISP supplied routers, a shame, but needs must I guess Wink

edit @MikeRDavies yep I certainly misread, I took it the OP posted, my bad.

So nope, can't comment on your printer!!

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @POMPEYFAN  and @Gandalf 

Just for reassurance I have the plusnet hub one router I  also have the HP wireless printer Deskjet (HP 3520) connected to my network by WiFi and working fine.  I can print from my tablet, mobile phone, laptop and desktop. The only query I would have is that the printer does not show up in connected devices on the hub, I have given the printer a static IP address.