Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Router does not support a wireless printer

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Plusnet Router does not support a wireless printer

But don't respond to any of the suggestions offered?

John
POMPEYFAN
Grafter

OK let's start again

I am a new Plusnet customer.

I have been sent the new plusnet router. It does not work with my HP Wireless Printer HP 3630.

My old set up - previous ISP and old router TP LINK W 8968 works fine, so it's not the printer or it's settings, these are automatic, its the Plusnet router.

I do not set anything in the printer, never have, it's automatic, it broadcasts to the router the same fashion as my TV does. The TV works fine.

When I print out the settings on the printer when using the Plusnet router the IP address is 0.0.0.0, so it is not given an ip address by the router. When you do the same thing using the old TP link router I get an ip address of 192.168.1.6. I dont set that, its automatic.

Even if I connect a USB to the printer I can't get into it to set anything.

Why does the new Plusnet Hub one router not work when I was assured that it would when I signed up?

Why is this such an ordeal?

POMPEYFAN
Grafter

I have responded.

I have said that I am using the Plusnet Hub one router.

I have said what printer I am using.

I have said that I cant change anyhing in the printer itself its automatic.

I have reset the printer to factory settings.

I have had extensive support from HP, it is not the printer.....

Finally it's not the printer because it works with the TP Link Router.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You do need to do something on the printer. From the manual:

To connect the printer

1. From the Home screen on the printer control panel, touch  (Wireless).
2. Touch Settings.

3. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard or Wi-Fi Protected Setup.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

POMPEYFAN
Grafter

Hi Mustrum,

Thanks for your reply, but I don't have a screen.

Please see the attachment.

I have reset to default.

From the manual, I press and hold the wireless button down, hold until the broadcast blue led flashes (it is flashing blue, in the picture I captured it when it was on.) Then go to the router and press the WPS button.

When the printer connects, the blue led broadcast will be solid on.

To re-iterate, the TP Link modem process works, the Plus net modem it does not work.

i.e. the printer does not connect with the Plusnet hub one router.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Sorry, I must have found the wrong manual.

On the one I did find it also had this warning:

A wireless 802.11b/g/n network that includes a wireless router or access point.
NOTE: The printer only supports connections using 2.4GHz.

The Hub 1 like the BT HH5 combines the 2.4 and 5GHz in the same SSID, so separating it may help the printer connect.

If you go to the advanced settings and WiFi, untick the sync with 5GHz and then add 5 to the 5GHz SSID.

Having the printer near the router when you are trying to connect it will help in case the WPS does not stay on ling enough to connect.

POMPEYFAN
Grafter

Hi Mustrum,

Been into the router and set 2.4 GHz not to share with 5GHz

Not sure what you mean here?;

If you go to the advanced settings and WiFi, untick the sync with 5GHz and then add 5 to the 5GHz SSID

If I change this to 5 I get a warning: see attachment

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Just add something to the existing 6GHz ssid so your devices can differentiate - the printer won't as it won't be able to see the 5GHz one!! I usually add 5, or 5G.

POMPEYFAN
Grafter

Hi Mustrum,

Oh, I see now.

I have changed it to say 5G as you suggest, unfortunately still does not connect.

I have a friend who had a similar problem with a BT router, it would not work with his wireless printer either.

Are they the same? BT and plusnet are the same company so why not where they get the router made.

I'm just a bit annoyed that they have supplied a router that does not work and I have to go and buy one that does.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@POMPEYFAN wrote:

My old set up - previous ISP and old router TP LINK W 8968 works fine, so it's not the printer or it's settings, these are automatic, its the Plusnet router.

A wireless printer can only connect to one router at a time.  If it still connects to your old router then you have not succeeded in changing the SSID and the WiFi key to match your new Plusnet router.  You have not even come close because your printer still remembers the old settings.  The WiFi connection between any printer and any router is not "automatic" - ever.  The reason you are finding this an "ordeal" is because the process of linking a printer to a router is more involved than you believe it to be.

POMPEYFAN
Grafter

Hi ReedRichards

Thanks for your reply. I don't think you have understood my posts at all.

I am not trying to connect the printer to two routers at the same time. Where have I said I was doing that?

I am saying that I can't connect my wireless printer to the plus net router.

I have no problem connecting the printer to a TP LInk router. (as I have with my previous ISP)

So you think that I have the old settings in the Printer? Have a look back through the thread, where I have stated many times that I have reset the printer back to factory settings so It does not still have any of the old router settings in.

"The WiFi connection between any printer and any router is not "automatic" - ever".

Yes it is. This is the way my Printer connects to the router. I dont set anything in it - ever.

"The reason you are finding this an "ordeal" is because the process of linking a printer to a router is more involved than you believe it to be".

Really? Why is it so simple then to connect to the old router? Look back again in the thread where Mustrum has tried to help me here and is very much appreciated..

If it's easy to connect to the Plusnet hub one router, then please tell me how to do it. better, go buy an HP3630 Wireless printer and try and connect it. When you do please come back and tell us how it's done.

The printer is just a device, like the TV, laptop, or a phone. They are all connected.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Are you able to print with your printer connected into your computer via USB? This would effectively mean that the printer doesn't need to connect to the router in any way, and would narrow down a little where the issue may lie.

I've never tried this, but what happens if you plug your printer into the Hub One via the USB ports? Are you able to print then?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
POMPEYFAN
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks for the reply.

I can connect to the computer with a USB cable. Unfortunately the HP Printer uses the Smart ink service, and therefore needs to connect to the internet to monitor ink use. So it does not help that a laptop, computer whatever is connected via a USB, because ultimately the Printer needs to connect wirelessly to the router.

I did try and connect via the usb port in the router, but this has the same effect. ie does notrecognise anything connected.

What we have all been doing is printing using the router as a hub, so we all can use the one printer.

Again, the printer is just a device, but it will not connect to the Plus net router.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for the clarification.

When you plug your printer into the USB port of the Hub One, do you see the printer appear on the network map by going here then navigating to the Advanced Settings > Home Network tab?

Also if you switch off your router's firewall by going to the Advanced Settings > Firewall > Configuration tab does your printer work then wirelessly and/or connected via USB to the router?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
POMPEYFAN
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks for the reply.

I have followed your instructions.

As seen on the attached  home network tab, shows nothing connected to the USB.

I have switched off the firewall, refreshed, but still nothing connected to the USB

the usb cable is known good.

Printer still same issue.