Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Router does not support a wireless printer

POMPEYFAN
Grafter

Plusnet Router does not support a wireless printer

I am a new Plusnet customer.

I have been sent the new plusnet router. It does not work with my HP Wireless router.

My old set up - previous ISP and old router works fine, so it's not the printer or it's settings, these are automatic, its the Plusnet router.

Why does the router not work when I was assured that it would when I signed up?

70 REPLIES 70
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: New modem but ISP won't let me go online

@POMPEYFAN, I'm not too sure what you mean by your printer being on channel 6.  The only thing I can think of is that you have the wifi on the printer set as an Access Point, which some do to allow direct printing.

What you need to do is set up the wireless on the printer to connect to the router. On my HP printer (though yours may be different), is to go to Setup, then Network Setup, then Wireless Setup Wizard

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Have you changed the SSID and the  password on the printer to match the new one(s) on the PlusNet Router? 

POMPEYFAN
Grafter

Hi All,

Looks like I need to be more specific.

I cant access the Printer to set anything up. All I do is press the "go connect to a router wireless" button on the front of the printer.

The Printer is an HP Deskjet 3630 wireless printer.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-deskjet-3630-all-in-one-printer.

If I use the Plusnet router, my printer will not connect to it. yes I have tried pressing the WPS button.

If I use another mrouter, say my very old TP Link router it connects and then to the internet. The printer needs to connect to the internet because it uses HPs instant ink service. This is still the case if I connect to the router with a USB cable. The router is acting like a server for the printer to get on line.

So why is this easy to do with my TP link Router and impossible with my new sparkly Plus net router.

Kind regards

Jeff - a Plus net user for three days.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Is your tp link device a modem router compatible with your ADSL or VDSL service, whichever you have? If so use that in place of your Plusnet hub. See here for settings https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

POMPEYFAN
Grafter

Thanks for the replies, but the point is this.....Why was I assured that the Plusnet router would work with my wireless printer, when clearly is does not.

I know exactly how to set my new TP Link router up, that is not the issue.

I am annoyed to the point of screaming that Plusnet have lied to me throughout the process and I am now £80 - odd out of pocket because I have had to go and buy a router that does work.

What a monumental waste of the planets resource beacause the Plusnet router will go back in it's box, after 18 months when my contract is finished go to landfill.

Again the question: Why does my Plusnet router not work with my HP3630 Wireless printer???????????????????Huh

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Plusnet Router does not support a wireless printer

It might help to know which router and which printer, oh and what symtoms and or error messages you are getting?

No reason why it should not work, it probably just needs setting up properly.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Is WPS enabled by default on the HubOne? It is very insecure, so hopefully not. Have you tried the other ways of connecting to a wireless router that are in the customer printer manual?

Edit: Sorry, there’s no mention of which router, so my comment of the HubOne may be incorrect, though still valid as to if WPS is enabled (though if it is I’d strongly suggest disabling it) and that the other methods of connecting the printer as specified in its manual should be tried.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

Just because you can't get it to work doesn't mean it isn't capable of working. You said that you had a tp link so the easiest solution was to suggest that you used it. No-one suggested that you should spend £80 plus. 

If you want to have another go at using the Plusnet offering you could start by telling us which router you have.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

It would also help if you limited a single problem to just one topic rather than posting on two boards.

Moderator and Customer

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

could be something as simple as the default subnet that your printer connects to (192.168. xxx) too or the ip is already used

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It could well be the printer.

Is it on DHCP from your network, that could have changed stopping printing from working with a different router.
It has happened to me, which is why I will never give a network printer a DHCP address - I always configure it myself.

Can you find the printer the new IP address and try to ping it, also log into the web interface.

Then I would force the printer to have a static IP outside of DHCP, mine for example is static at 192.168.1.4 and my DHCP doesn't start until 192.168.1.20, with the old subnet of 255.255.255.0.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@POMPEYFAN wrote:

I am a new Plusnet customer.

I have been sent the new plusnet router. It does not work with my HP Wireless router.

My old set up - previous ISP and old router works fine, so it's not the printer or it's settings, these are automatic, its the Plusnet router.

Why does the router not work when I was assured that it would when I signed up?

Long shot - have you tried tried resetting the printer to factory default, and then pairing it back up with the router. I have to do that if/when I swap routers.

John
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's Notes

Thread moved from Broadband to Tech Help

Posts merged to keep support in one place.

Duplicate post by the OP removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

POMPEYFAN
Grafter

I posted on two boards because I could start my own thread because I was new.