cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One

kitz
Aspiring Pro

Re: Plusnet Hub One

Who on earth made this stupid decision. 😕  The HH5A is now about the only modem router that isnt g.inp compatible.  I'm seriously beginning to think that who ever makes the decisions on which router to provide doesn't have half a clue.
Where does the usergroup stand on this these days.  Are they even consulted for beta testing.  Regardless or not I would have been playing up merry hell over such a backward decision.
Oh well plusnet, Im sad to say this is another nail in the coffin of bargain basement ISP.  Oh things may look good for getting new users in, but theres nothing now showing you care about existing customers.   
Btw dont say you weren't warned if people on longer lines moan about worse performance than if they were with 'x', 'y' or 'z' isp... purely because said ISP will supply a better modem. 
What is the point in Openreach trying to release g.inp if Plusnet provide routers that are known to not be fully compatible with it. 
Christ its bad enough that a year ago you were still supplying the old TG582n's, then you went down a step with the zero hub,  now you go down a further step and release further inferior modem/routers.  :no:
Bangs head on a brick wall.  Funny enough I was speaking to one of the ex-CEOs of Plusnet just the other day... and off his own back he said how Plusnet made a muck of things by not taking note of the Usergroup.  Said CEO turned PN around when he started listening.  Current CEO seems to be on path of destroying Plusnet.  No doubt he will have moved on by the time it all goes bad, because at the current time PN is riding on previous years CS support.  Things are going downhill since, and word will catch up in the open community.  Mark my words - been there, seen it all before. Sad
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: w23
Not telnet based but there is basic monitoring software available: http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatshub.htm

Thanks for the link w23 Smiley
adie:green fixed quote Roll_eyes ]
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: kitz
Who on earth made this stupid decision. 😕  The HH5A is now about the only modem router that isnt g.inp compatible.  I'm seriously beginning to think that who ever makes the decisions on which router to provide doesn't have half a clue.

I thought the A support G.INP downstream but not upstream and BT had ceased rolling it out upstream? I could be behind the times of course.
Mines an ECI cab which has its own issues I believe..
Quote from: kitz
Where does the usergroup stand on this these days.  Are they even consulted for beta testing.   Regardless or not I would have been playing up merry hell over such a backward decision.

The who? They seem to have drifted to nothing.. http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,7568.msg95675.html
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

Quote from: Strat
Quote from: w23
Not telnet based but there is basic monitoring software available: http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatshub.htm

Thanks for the link w23 Smiley

seems to work ok.
Customer / Moderator
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: anniesboy
Can existing fibre customers get this modem router,if they start a new contract?

Hopefully it's better than the mediocre "hub zero" ....
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: dvorak
seems to work ok.

Seems to work ok on ADSL also even though the site says fibre only.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
nanotm
Pro

given the plethora of xDSL modem/routers available at a cheaper retail price point that offer more features it does seem slightly strange that PlusNet would go with what's effectively an out of date under featured bit of kit, I guess that's a decision driven by the parent company to offload its current stock of junk without having to effectively pay to bin it before the next iteration goes on general release ....
its a shame given the number of consumers that have been driven to complain about the last new router and now another bad option is chosen, would of been better all round if they had waited a few more weeks and just chosen to offer everyone the hub6 tbh certainly bt would then get a much bigger fon network Tongue
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you can get this router on ebay, you will know that things didn't work out for the new customers.
They will have had to buy a new router and be stuck with a long contract.
So its a case of "fools rush in where angels fear to tread".  Grin
VDSL2 modem/routers will probably fall in price soon anyway.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Quote from: Oldjim

Another question - why aren't you providing the type B - is this because you are using BT old stock
What are the advantages - if any - of the Lantiq chipset over the Broadcom

Just a thought, but could it simply be the type A is perhaps manufactured by Sagemcom ?
Added:  ie. same manufacturer/supplier for both Hub Zero and new Hub One (HH5A).
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
dvorak

Not sure if that's rhetorical, but yes it is.
Customer / Moderator
dvorak

Quote from: nanotm
... effectively an out of date under featured bit of kit, I guess that's a decision driven by the parent company to offload its current stock of jun..

OK, it's not the best of the best.. but not sure why you think gigabit lan, dual band wireless AC is under featured?
Certainly for most users it'd be acceptable and a big step up from hub zero.
Agreed for those of us who know a bit more and want control over DNS settings etc. it's probably not the router for us - but then as we've discussed to death PN is a mass market ISP.
Customer / Moderator
nanotm
Pro

I don't really understand why they didn't get the 5604n as the base for the router (that will be released after the hub 6 which is effectively going to be the exact same router)
the colour change means nothing (white plastic is cheaper than black or grey) the hardware is the key element, its already been said that this device is the hub 5A in a cheaper cover with a few hardware tweaks but the same problems are going to pop from it as well (not g-fast compliant) clearly this was a management decision based on what was available to vary the supply contract on the 2704's, which having been released have proved woefully inadequate and sagemcom having a nice large pile of hub 5 chips ready to use and BT no longer wanting them as there about to start pushing the hub 6 to customers but have been holding off on the big announcement until their acquisition of EE has been finalised, I guess if they have told sagemcom to bin their hub5 chips then giving them to another company would make sense especially if that happens to be a subsidiary that cant afford to say no given the price and it fitting the bill of  "does all that the lowest common denominator requires" (I explained what that was in the no more pc thread)
for all the things I dislike about the homehub series of routers they do at the very least tend to just unbox connect switch on and "just work" just like an electric kettle has done for the last 20 years unless its faulty ....which makes them perfect for a lot of consumers, and not so much for the generally more vocal online group that needs those missing features because they don't fall into the lowest common denominator bracket ......
edit;
lol adi, I was posting at the same time, I suppose my earlier post was perhaps a bit harsh but not unjustified but also not fully explained as in I understand where they are coming from but I believe they made another bo-bo", plusnet may not see that they require g-fast to be fully operational now but realistically by the end of 2016 we will have ipv6 and g-fast nationwide, not fully supporting it will be a huge problem then granted mostly it will be for consumers needing to get themselves a new router (those mass market ones who wont even understand the problem) and plusnet will likey have moved over to some other device, but unless there branching out into LTE services the hub6 probably wont be it.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
maranello
Pro

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: maranello
I see the Plus One has a USB port. Is this configurable for a usb printer connection and/or an external usb hard drive?

External storage yes. USB printer no (at least it's not something that's supported).

I've managed to configure the usb port on the TG582n for a usb printer, which is assume is also not supported, but works nonetheless. I believe it can also be done for the BT version of the HH5, is there any change to the hardware/firmware that could prevent this?
The BT HH5 by all accounts gives much better wireless performance than the hub zero, and the TG582n, but do wireless devices need to be dual band in order to show an improvement or is the 2.4GHz signal stronger in the HH5/Hub One than the Hub Zero or TG582n?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

So if this is a self install then why am i still being told i need to book an engineer visit and thus can't actually upgrade to fibre because my address isnt listed in the list of address to choose from when booking the engineer?
Yet if i go to any other ISP and try to order fibre my address is listed with them, just not you.