Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook and Gmail

FIXED
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Outlook and Gmail

I could not decide whether to post this under Email because it does not concern Webmail, or here but decided this is probably the right place.

I have used Outlook - formerly Exchange ! - ever since Windows started about 25 years ago, and all my emails are safely still stored on CD / DVD still.  But suddenly it has stopped working using Gmail as the mail server.  I have my own domain which points my emails to Gmail, from where it is collected by Outlook - I am actually still using Outlook 2013.

I vaguely remember something about Gmail discontinuing support for Outlook 2013 around this time, and I wonder if anyone can update me as I suspect this may be the reason that Outlook cannot connect suddenly to Gmail anymore.  

I do not want to have to buy a new version of Outlook and spend days setting the family systems up again - I cannot bear the thought of it.  Can anyone suggest an alternative mail server that would work with Outlook 2013.  Until about ten years ago, I used the Plusnet mail server for this same purpose but it became unreliable and beset with problems, which is when I switched to  Gmail.  Now it looks as if I will have to start all over again !

Any help would be most appreciated as I cannot even send emails directly through Gmail, as my domain is shown as the sending address rather than Gmail, which was a facility which could be set up.  The situation is really urgent therefore as I am out of contact.

13 REPLIES 13
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Outlook and Gmail

I'm in a sort of similar situation though I'm still using Outlook 2007.

Google just doesn't allow the types of authentication that these older versions of Outlook support, so there's effectively no choice but to move.

I still use Outlook 2007 for other email accounts though, but for Google I currently use the Mail program in Windows 11 (and the default mail program on my iPhone).

It's not ideal, but Gmail isn't my busiest email account and I don't funnel everything through it.

shermans
Pro

Thanks for the reply.  It confirms what I suspected !  But it has caught me unawares.  I should have looked into this weeks ago, but I didn't.

My problem is that all my data is kept offline in *.pst files.  I set up a separate *.pst file for every new project.  So using anything else is not going to work and I need to find a suitable mail hosting service which will allow me to connect through Outlook 2103.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

I'm not technically minded but I've seen a lot of messages about using Pegasus Mail with gmail - there are problems with "Oath" (at least I think it's Oath) authentification.

Might be worth a look.

Brian

HPsauce
Pro

Fix

Not sure what you want from an email service, most of mine are "hosted domains" i.e. I pay for a company to host the email and web sites (though they're not significant) for a number of domains I registered.

If you're running a business (or need a number of identities) that's really the only way to do it.

One service I do use occasionally with Outlook is GMX - maybe worth checking that out?

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMX_Mail

shermans
Pro

HPSauce

Thanks for that tip.  If it does what it says on the tin, then that is exactly what I am looking for.  I will give it a try and let you know.

Cheers.

bmc
Hero

@shermans 

Don't know if this is relevant but gmail appears to have done something on 30th May relating to OAUTH2. Caused problems with some Pegasus users.

Brian

Norrette
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Yes, I should have looked into it weeks ago too, but naively thought MS would come to an agreement.  I'm on Outlook 2016 and the same problem - no gmail incoming since the 6th June.  It's clear MS want us to go on the lease basis of 365 despite having paid in full for Office.

Looking into it today, will come back if there's any solutions found.

Edit: Same issues on K9 Mail which I use for my android kit.  Looks like I should move from gmail, not from outlook.

Edit2:  I did use Thunderbird for a while when outlook was playing up. Looks like they have addressed the issue:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/automatic-conversion-google-mail-accounts-oauth20

bmc
Hero

As far as I can understand from the messages on the Pegasus forum I don't think it's MS per say - more Google trying to tighten up security on emails to deter spam.

They do speak about a Password App which just needed tweaking to regain access but I don't know anything more about this.

Brian

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

In the google account security section there is an option for app passwords.
See here for details:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833
That's RPM to you!!
Norrette
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Trouble is you don't get this option with desktop programs, at least I don't with Outlook 2016.

Looks like Thunderbird will work fine on the desktop - but sadly there is no Android/IOS version.  So it's the Outlook *app* to gather important accounts on my android devices. 🙄 2022 sans integration!

bmc
Hero

As mentioned I don't really know much about this.

However, it appears Pegasus Mail has been re-submitted for approval by Google. Apparently as it only uses local storage it may be able to bypass the required Security Assessment.

It could be old versions of Outlook haven't been updated therefore won't work now with Google.

Brian

billnotben
Community Veteran

If this is about gmail and passwords failing in outlook and other mail programs it's a little long winded but easy enough to fix.

Basically you log into the gmail web page - add a mobile number - enable two step verification - select app password. Then replace the mail programs password with the new app password. And everything is back to "normal".

If you have a lot of gmail accounts to do I found if you do five or six quickly google stops accepting the mobile number for a while.

I have an old version of outlook and mailwasher and my twenty six gmail accounts are all working fine in them now.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

26!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."