Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLIP

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

CLIP

Is CLIP automatically enabled on SIM Cards that are used in a mobile phone for calls/text & data ?  or does it need enabling by the service provider ?

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: CLIP

@shutter If you mean CLID, when I switched from Voda to SMARTY, it was still on, without any need for 'enabling', so I'm guessing it is automatic. AIUI, network providers are obliged to have the service operational by default.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1   Having problems trying to send sms via a Gigaset S455 handset plugged into a 4G router TP-Link TL MR6500v  ( Both capable of sms working ) .

When I try to send a text to my mobile but after it shows "transferring SMS" for about 5 mins it then shows a yellow envelope on the S455 phone screen, and when opened it shows FE   which , according to the troubleshooting guide  mean.... Error transferring message 

Checking further, ...  see this pic

sms troubleshooting.png

Have asked SMARTY "live chat" but they have had to "ask their team" and probably won`t respond....

I can send a text message from the laptop via the router to my smart phone... and also reply to the laptop message. but the router does not give any indications that a message has been received, and no indication on the laptop either..

so it seems that the S455 handset, and the Router, are not "talking to each other" , which may be due to the CLIP  / CLID ( depending on which way you phrase it ) .    hence my question..

I would have thought that it was automatically enabled, but just querying it to try to sort out the problem.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 75

Hello @shutter 

I can see the TP-Link 4G router supports SMS but does it support SMS from an attached phone?

Does SMS using the router GUI work?

Lots of reading here https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tl-mr6500v/ 

Looking at the user guides I can not see any reference to the required function!

shutter
Community Veteran

@Dan_the_Van  Thanks  for the input.

As mentioned, above, the TP Link router does, indeed support SMS via the laptop, and the GUI.

I have been in touch with TP Link support about this, but they have not been definitive in their responses.

I am only "assuming" that, because the Router AND the S455 phone, are both capable of sending SMS messages, that they would work, when "joined up"..

( I have a "simple mind" with regards to technology, being brought up on "Plug and Play" from early Windows, I would have thought that this would be just the same as technology has moved on dramatically since then) .

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@shutter 

From the very start of my involvement in computers and related products I personally I would not assume anything with nothing working as expected even when it's supposed to! A cynical view from a former support and qualification engineer. 

I'd would think the S455 would dial a messenger service when sending a SMS something the TP-Link router would not be able to forward.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Dan_the_Van  OK..

The router DOES have connection for it to send SMS to and from my laptop, via wifi link to the router, and onwards via the message centre number entered on the router when inserting the SIM card in the router.

As mentioned in the mr6500v manual for SMS settings ... 

3.The Message Center Number is auto-populated. Change it according to your needs.

I have also set the same SMARTY sms message centre number on the S455 handset.. 

going back to my "simple thinking" this is telling the S455 handset to "call" the message centre number, to send the SMS in exactly the same way as it would when dialing out, or auto sending a "normal" phone number for a voice call  ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Incidentally, I also had the same difficulty with a Panasonic KX-TG8421 DECT phone.... so I bought the S455 to see if it was a Panasonic phone problem...... 

Note... SMS on this setup is only a "icing on the cake" thing, really,...but it would be very useful if it can be made to work.... It`s just a matter of HOW to make it work, that is the challenge of the moment.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@shutter 

says something if two analogue phones are unable to use SMS when plugged in to the router.

To me it will be down to the protocols used for a SMS message from a analogue phone, unless the analogue interface on the router is programmed what to do with the signals it will just hang and then time out. 

Anyway good luck with your adventure.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Dan_the_Van  Yeah, I kinda agree with you, strange that both TP link and Gigaset, have not come up with any really useful suggestions to solve the problem.  But I am still in contact with them both, and hopeful !

Thanks for your help and input.

Much appreciated.

Cheers