cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New setup: 2704N Router - wi-fi, management and port forwarding issues

sawitcouk

New setup: 2704N Router - wi-fi, management and port forwarding issues

Hi All
I have been directed over here by PlusNet support as they had no option/solution for the problems that I have encountered from day one of my tenure with PlusNet (most of the responses have been "We dont support that") and the 2704N router:
1. Does not display all connected devices despite multiple page refreshes
2. Port-forwarding is intermittent to completely breaking (a restart either fixes the forwarding or destroys it completely requiring it to be set up again)
3. A combination of 1 & 2 prevents me port-forwarding a CCTV device.
4. There is no apparent access on the port-forwarding page to "Delete" an incorrect port-rule definition
5. No capability of modifying the DHCP range to allow for some statics at top/bottom of the scope
6. No apparent capability to securely allow remote (outside) administration of the device
7. No access to the CLI from the internal network (SSH/Telnet) which may surface some of the items in 1-6 to allow me to fix
8. No apparent capability to back up the config (the URL that I have seen in other posts gives the "you cant do that from there" error)
9. Is there a firmware update that can be carried out to fix the above and is this a user installable option or do we have to rely on Plusnet, I assume am on the V2 firmware already as it is a brand new shipped device
I am sure that this has been discussed before somewhere, however can someone advise of an alternate device with a (much) better interface and reliability that I can use in place of the 2704N.  I have a BT HomeHub4 from my previous connection however the range of the device is not great (the one and only plus (sic) point of the 2704N).  If necessary I will go and buy something.
TIA
Simon
2 REPLIES 2
sawitcouk

Re: New setup: 2704N Router - wi-fi, management and port forwarding issues

Update:  have found the expert user URL which has allowed me to sort out 5 & 7, unfortunately the rest of the issues still stand
Simon
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: New setup: 2704N Router - wi-fi, management and port forwarding issues

Any current non-Plusnet device would be better.
I like Netgear routers - but almost any router would do, provided you don't need ac wireless.
I would download a few user guides to check if they meet your needs.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."