Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Socket shift

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Master Socket shift

What about the other end? It's only two wires that you need, and you can test easily with a phone - once you get dial tone the rest should be OK.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think you're using the colours in the new cable incorrectly. You should be using the blue wire with the white/blue wire, they will be colour coded pairs. If you use the orange wire and the blue wire, that's a "split pair", using one wire from each pair, defeating the purpose of using twisted pair cabling.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks @ejs I will give that a try.

I didn't know it mattered to which cable was used as long as they are linked up correctly with A/B 

Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Mustrum
Community Veteran

You would not a get a BT/Openreach engineer not using matching pairs, so if they ever get called out they would know someone else did a re-wire.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Can successfully say speeds returned to normal having white into blue and orange into white/blue.

Will post an update later if keeps its connection or not.

Thanks 😁😁
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Back to square one Embarrassed

Scratching my head as to why not working - intermittent/low speed. No dial tone. 

I have wired Blue (from line) into Blue (new wiring) which ends up in socket B. And Orange (from line) into White/Blue (new wiring) which goes into socket A.

Ticked_off

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 22.01.00.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-27 at 22.01.09.png

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Try a different pair, you could have a break in the wire somewhere (not uncommon, and very annoying to fix without things like tone oscillators and cable test equipment)... Smiley

EDIT TO ADD:

Looking at the pictures again, it could be you have the A & B wires reversed, Blue/White should go to Orange wire and White/Blue to the White wire, A being 0v to Earth and B being -50V to Earth, which could screw things up a little...

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Went to Maplin's (whilst they still exist) and got new cable (4 core) and pack of 100 crimps.

So the white with blue dashes goes to the white wire of the drop down cable? This should then go into socket B?

Then Blue with white dashes goes into Orange wire of drop down cable. Then go into socket A?

I'll give that a try.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Unfortunately new cable hasn't solved things neither has re-crimping.

Internet works regardless which way you put your two wires in either A or B but phone line doesn't.

Tearing my hair out now Undecided

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Faulty Master Socket? Or using the wrong connection points. Have you got any other socket you could use to prove it? Even an extension socket should be able to get dial tone, although don't expect the phone to ring.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

All sorted - swapped the White Blue for the White Orange and seems to have fixed it. Bizarre.

Thanks for your support Smiley

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

That is totally wrong, you now have a split pair, I suggest that your connections to the master socket or the gel crimps were not done properly causing the problems you have been experiencing. Using the wrong wire is not the answer.Roll_eyes

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

There's a reason I prefer Krone terminals when working on my phoneline stuff, much more reliable connection than the jelly crimps and far easier to re-make if I made a fluff up in the wiring... Smiley