Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Socket shift

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Master Socket shift

Hi, 

Although an ex-PN customer hopefully I am still welcome to post on here time to time. I feel there is more experienced users on these threads.

Recently moved house and master socket is in the way of a sideboard we wish to have in hall. NTE5c with Mk4 VDSL plate so a little bulky.

Ideal solution is to shift the master socket a couple of inches to the left so its above the skirting aboard and next to the door frame, compared to at the moment installed on the skirting board nearer middle of the hall. Only problem is that the cable running from the junction box which is next to the front door is too short. The shift would be be less than half a metre.  (Around 2-3m between master and junction box).

Had a look inside the junction box and all it seems to be is jelly crimps - presumably a master socket relocation done by previous owners.

I'd like to try and do the job myself but need advice on what type of cable I would need to run from junction box to the socket (the existing cable seems heavily deteriorated and exposed in a couple or areas along the length). And how to re-wire the new cable to the outside line within the junction box.

I cannot justify paying Openreach £160 to complete which is a simple job to them. 

I am aware that OR carry a fee to fix what I have broken, does anyone know the fee or whether it is the same as the Lift and Shift fee.

Thanks Smiley

NE

MVIMG_20180324_155201

new loc.jpg (Socket would be on edge with door frame)

junc box.jpg(Junction Box)

MVIMG_20180324_155611.jpgMVIMG_20180324_155618.jpg

Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
27 REPLIES 27
kjwkjw
Dabbler

Re: Master Socket shift

CW1308 or plain old CAT5 will do the job! Just replicate the connections that are already made and your golden.

At your own risk though as you say!

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Cheers!

Would Cat5E cable be better for me since on a fibre connection?

So on checklist is a couple of jelly crimps, 4m Cat5e, couple of cable clips (anything I may have missed out?)

NE

Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
kjwkjw
Dabbler

Yep! Nice and easy. Smiley

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Thanks

Will order on Amazon now and get it done n over with.

No way can I justify £160 for a simple job! Crazy2

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@NorthEasterner wrote:

Would Cat5E cable be better for me since on a fibre connection?

Using Cat5E is a dead giveaway if you ever need Openreach to attend?  Try blagging some standard CW1308 from someone - there must be oodles of it about locally.  2 Metres of Cat 5 won't make much difference.Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

@MauriceC

I've ordered BT spec CW1724 which seems to be similar to CW1308 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-White-CW1724-2-Pair-CAT5E-BT-CABLES-Twisted-Telephone-Network-CW1308-...

Hopefully this is okay

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

I've moved master sockets about without issue (just don't admit to an engineer that you did it if there was ever a fault, just say "It was like that when I moved in!"), and yes, Cat5e twisted pair is a good choice for the job, so long as it's solid-core you should be golden... Smiley

One thing I recommend is a decent Krone tool, as the little plastic tools that you get with kits is useless, and a proper tool has little scissors that snip as you press down on them trimming off excess wire... Smiley

Also, leave plenty of slack wire in the socket for any future work, just in case... Smiley

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Looks like I've made things worse Undecided

Speeds dropped to 

14.15 Mbps / 42.34 Mbps

14141 / 43051

6.2 dB / 3.3 dB

From previous (see image)

Can't really see where I have gone wrong considering all wired up correctly - I had to do jelly crimps a couple of times.

NE

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Line attenuation increased from 12.3 dB to 37dB

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Maybe some photos of what you've done might help. One wire not actually connected? Have you tested that a phone works?

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Oh no... phone is dead Grin

Back to the drawing board Knuppel

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Here is junction box.

I did snip off the brown and green wires as they weren't attached to anything within the master socket - just the orange and the blue.

NE

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Internet now dropping intermittently.

Will have another go at redoing the crimps and A/B terminals.

Any other advice?