cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lexmark MX410de multifunction printer: scan to email setup

jasonnosaj

Lexmark MX410de multifunction printer: scan to email setup

Recently bought a Lexmark MX410de multifunction printer. Part of the appeal is that one is able to scan straight to an email address with it (apparently!).
When setting this up I am faced with the screen below. I have entered details as can be seen. Additionally I have also entered Device userid and password as I would if I was setting up email on another device.
When scanning to email, the printer returns the following:
]Primary SMTP Gateway: relay/plus.net
Connection failure <550>
Connection error
Mail server response: 550 <my email address> sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record)
Secondary SMTP Gateway
Connection failure
Email server not set up
Mail server response: N/A
[/color]
If the Device userid is entered as the broadband address (...plusdsl.net) it returns the following:
Primary SMTP Gateway: relay/plus.net
Connection failure <535>
Connection error
Mail server response: 535 authentication rejected
Secondary SMTP Gateway
Connection failure
Email server not set up
Mail server response: N/A
Can anybody point me in the right direction here? Has this got anything to do with the plusnet not being able to do both IMAP/POP and SMTP? The really nice guy I spoke to at the help desk seemed to think it wouldn't as this is only going to send email. Any suggestions gratefully received!
9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Lexmark MX410de multifunction printer: scan to email setup

The Primary SMTP Gateway entries typed in the post have a '/' in them which should be a '.'. However the attached image shows a '.' so I expect the '/' s are typos.
Did you put your (sender) email address in the box? Note that is your email address (eg john@smith.plus.com) *not* your broadband username, ie smith@plusdsl.net. The latter should be used only in the router connection settings and not anywhere else.
For authentication you would use just your account name and password (the ones used to login to the Member Centre); these would go in the Device Userid and Device password boxes. However since you are on your home connection authentication is optional. If you don't want to authenticate you should be able to change the SMTP Server Authentication setting to 'None' (or something that means that).
David
jasonnosaj

Thanks for the advice. I have done as you have suggested (yes that was a typo and I have not used authentication).
Now I get no error message from the printer, but no email arrives and when I checked the sent folders on the plus.net webmail there is nothing in them. Does this mean it is not actually sending the email?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Silly question, but have you specified a recipient anywhere when you initiate the scan?
Manual here:  http://www.lexmark.com/publications/pdfs/2007/mx410_mx51x/mx410_mx51x_hmp/en/email-guide.pdf
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I wouldn't expect anything sent to appear in the webmail sent folder unless the printer software puts a copy there. It's down to the email client (the printer software in this case) to manage that. The relay servers just transmit messages passed to them by the email client on to the recipient mail server designated in the message.
You would need to check the printer documentation to find out whether it saves copies in an on-board sent folder, or elsewhere. Or possibly always send a copy to yourself.
Does your printer documentation mention diagnosing 'failing to send' in a Troubleshooting section?
David
jasonnosaj

Responses very much appreciated. Thanks for the explaination.
I had specified a recipient address in the emails and as it turns out I have found the emails in spam folders, rather embarrassingly. Although I am sure there is a good explanation, I did not realise it was possible to send an email without it being apparent where the email was sent from. I have much to learn and shall consult the literature on this!
Thanks again.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Was it your own (Plusnet) account that put the emails into the Spam folder? I assume the scanned sheet is sent as an attachment - does the message accompanying this have a subject and some explanatory text apart from links? Just wondered if an empty message matched a Cloudmark spam appliance fingerprint.
David
jasonnosaj

It was another email system that put it into spam.
The file is sent only as an attachment (PDF) without any link, explanation or return email address.
The name of the attachment file, although possible to specify appear pretty random to me otherwise.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The email should have an 'envelope from' header containing the sender name you supplied. You might have to view message source to see that. Does the other system provide an option to white-list trusted senders to avoid the email going into the spam folder?
David
jasonnosaj

Thanks for the help with this.
Eventually found emails in spam filters (for some email accounts they weren't even in the spam filters - I simply couldn't find them!). But now that I have setup the printer to "send from" a specific email address and not just "no email address" it works brilliantly!
Pity they folk who sold it to me had said I could remotely print without a pc - that turned out to be a lie. But that's another story.