cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth paying extra for a Windows optimisation service with a new PC.

dgk
Grafter

Is it worth paying extra for a Windows optimisation service with a new PC.

I'm thinking of buying a Chillblast Fusion Quasar PC. Is it worth paying for their Windows optimisation service this is what Chillblast say about it.
“Windows Optimisation Service
Unleash the power of Windows by ordering our Windows Optimisation service which will dramatically increase the performance of your OS! You can expect your system to start up faster, start applications more quickly and run more smoothly! We do this by optimising services and features for each individual PC spec, which makes the OS feel far more responsive. The tweaks we perform depend entirely on the components you select. If you choose a fast solid state drive or a powerful video card, for example, we will optimise the OS to make best use of these features. Your operating system will also be fully updated and any new drivers released since our installation images were created will be installed. Optimisation takes a Chillblast engineer around an hour to complete and the resulting system will be noticeably more responsive!
Windows 8:
- Install Classic Shell Start Menu replacement
- Optimise power management for maximum performance
- Optimise Aero Interface
- Tweak services and registry for optimal performance
- Change idle hard disk usage patterns and Virtual Memory settings
- Install all updates, service packs, hot fixes and ensure correct integration
- Shipping day driver check for any new updates”
If I want Classic Shell Start Menu it's a free download, I'm used to adjusting power management Aero interface and virtual memory settings. I'm not sure what they mean by change idle hard disk usage patterns anybody any ideas but I am used to altering time before hard disks go to sleep.
“Tweak services and registry for optimal performance” it is worth having I have never messed with the registry so it's something I wouldn't be doing myself.
Chillblast charge £30 plus VAT for this service which would bring the price of the PC to£530 (£636 with vat)
So is it worth paying the extra £36
23 REPLIES 23
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Is it worth paying extra for a Windows optimisation service with a new PC.

I wouldn't go for it.
Any optimisation they may do before shipping would soon be rendered useless after some use as fragmentation starts, new programs get installed, etc.
Much, if not all, of what they would do can be done yourself with a little bit of searching and using these forums for more (better) advice.
Personally I'd save the money and ask around here for advice on anything you are unsure of.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

NedLudd
Grafter

I'm with Mav on this one. They aren't doing anything that you can do yourself for free.  Shocked
In fact, some of what they're offering (Install all updates, service packs, hot fixes and ensure correct integration; Shipping day driver check for any new updates) they should be doing anyway.
Ask away on here when you get it and you'll get any help you need!
Geoff,
York.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

True - ask on here if you have any questions.
You've got to question their service when technically by not taking their 'Optimisation' service they're selling you an inferior product.
Rather like buying a car from a garage and them offering to clean it first for an extra £36.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I think it's more like buying a car then being charged extra by the garage so the vehicle can reach it's maximum speed and perform to it's expected potential Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

But that would be a tank of fuel then Mav Grin
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: dgk
Windows 8:
- Optimise Aero Interface
They clearly don't have a clue as Windows 8 doesn't have Aero at all!  Crazy
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: dgk
<snip>
I'm not sure what they mean by change idle hard disk usage patterns anybody any ideas but I am used to altering time before hard disks go to sleep.
<snip>

This may help to explain.PDF
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

altho i have never tried Chillblast , looks like they just trying to con  extra money from customers :(.
they also Offer to Optimize your grahics ,,, for £50 remotely !!
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Kevin
Rising Star

Solid state drives are going to be difficult  to adjust the spin down/spin up time on...... Grin
Kevin.
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

As a pc engineer of some 30 years experience, don't bother with it just a means of extracting more cash from you  Wink besides there are plenty of free programs out there that do the same thing for free  Wink 
Glenn
Grafter

I'm going to get a custom build pc later in the year and I've been checking out a lot of these custom build places.I've seen that optimization service on a few of them.
I've been using a fantastic programme on my XP pc for years called XP Smoker Pro...which optimizes Windows...it has an auto feature on it if you wanna just do it with one click....it has sped up my XP very noticeably and I've used it on 2 XP pc's.
They have versions for Windows 7 and Windows 8 called 7Smoker and 8Smoker Pro and they a freeware.
I've never seen any ads or anything unwanted on XP Smoker Pro and I imagine the others are the same.
http://www.xp-smoker.com/8smokerpro.html
Smiley
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

WARNING !!!!  do not download  7Smoker !!!
Browser hijack !! 
full of Bloatware !!
took 30 mins to clean my PC  ,, Malwarebytes found 99 PUP files  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Angry
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
TORPC
Grafter

That being the case, is why it is aptly named smoker, as it will make you smoke Roll_eyes
Glenn
Grafter

@ rongtw...
I haven't used 7Smoker Pro but it's been given awards by the likes of PC World and Softpedia and been scanned with multiple anti virus programmes and had the results posted online with a clean bill of health from what I can see from a google search on it.
Malwarebytes is notorious for giving false positives....I tried it once and dumped it for that very reason.
Smiley