Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One Wifi (2.4GHz) speed drops

FIXED
jamesc
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Hub One Wifi (2.4GHz) speed drops

Hi idonno, thanks for the suggestion. I'm using AES encryption, and yes, I was intending on switching from the Netgear router to the Hub One, but then I started seeing these download speed plummet results... Sad

Now I've figured out the speed plummeting problem Smiley (pesky iPhone / daft user), I can now go about trying the Hub One again... I'm hoping that has better 5GHz signal range than my Netgear... Not talking huge distances, maybe 25 metres from router to device at the longest point, but at that distance devices are struggling to hang on to the 5GHz signal. 

Nice idea about restricting 5GHz to 802.11ac... I might just do that myself once I've got the Hub One set back up again (thankfully I took a backup of my config as have a few local network rules and port forwarding rules set up.

Cheers,

James

jamesc
Grafter

Update for anyone stumbling upon this topic and having similar problems...  Whilst the problems I saw were isolated to a particular device, it seems it was a particular device model and it not 'playing nicely' with the Plusnet One Hub.  The iPhone 5s doesn't seem to like the Plusnet One Hub on the 2.4GHz spectrum, and is much happier on 5GHz (which is fine, unless your house is quite big and the 5GHz footprint isn't big enough).

I tried an another iPhone 5s and had exactly the same problem.

Changing the router to an Asus RT-AC68U resulted in the problems going away - not suggesting that changing the router to something else entirely different is the answer for everyone in every scenario, but in this particular case, it did the trick!  Seems there's something between the Hub One and the iPhone 5s that means the 2.4GHz band doesn't want to behave properly.  Of course the iPhone 5s is now quite an old device, so it's a problem that's likely to be seen less and less...

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Thanks for the update @jamesc glad to hear it's sorted.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

A friend that visits regularly uses an iPhone 5c and has no problems connecting and remaining connected to my Hub One on the 2.4GHz band.

I asked him earlier today and he says that he actually connects whilst still in his car (one street back from where I live.)

jamesc
Grafter

Interesting, but my problems were with the 5s, rather than the 5c...  And they weren't related to the strength of the signal on the 2.4GHz band, rather the speed delivered over it.  All looked fine initially, but rapidly plummeted to sub 1mbps.  

I managed to resolved my problems by replacing the Hub One with something entirely different (I tried two of them, exactly the same problem with both!), which was a considerably cheaper option than replacing two iPhones with newer variants (bizarrely the 6 and 6s don't exhibit the same problem - I'm hoping the 7 doesn't either). 

It may have subsequently been fixed by a software update potentially too - I couldn't wait for that at the time though.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Looks like it may be a problem with just the 5s then.

Hopefully your experiences will prevent someone else's frustration.

Jford965

There is nothing you can do plusnet wifi is a complete con nothing will fix the problem when you get in touch with them they say they only guarantee ethernet speeds not wifi so basically suck it up there router's wifi is rubbish I've just bought a bt home hub 6 just waiting for updates to finish then I'm going to test my 2.4ghz speeds
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Jford965  I don't understand why have decided to put your very first post onto the end of a thread that is over 4 years old. There are far more relevant threads in the Router section of the forum. 🤔

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Old thread locked, insulting post removed. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'