Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How clean ???

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

How clean ???

I run ccleaner every night before i shut down..... iI didnt do it last night, because I wanted to install the latest version this morning.... just done that... and ran the new version
according to the screen it has removed 36.2MB .....
I also have Free Internet Eraser... and run that after ccleaner....  result ?  well, you would expect it to report  "nothing to remove " ...but...

Folders Erased: 4                    Registry Keys Erased: 3                     
Files Erased: 26                      Registry Values Erased: 0                   
===============================================================================
Released Disk Space: 73.48 KB

Now I run ccleaner again... and it removes a further  0.40MB
and whene I run Free Internet Eraser .... it reports nothing to clean.... !  ..

So,..... the question is... is CCLEANER as good as you think it is ?  or is my old version of Free Internet Eraser better at the job... ?
3 REPLIES 3
sjptd
Grafter

Re: How clean ???

You often need to run CCleaner twice or even sometimes more in a row on registry cleanup to get it to come clear.
It would be a bit more complicated for it to work out what is unneeded (recursion or iteration), and it leaves that complication to the user.
I have used other registry cleaners that overcleaned and left some programs not working properly.
It isn't really that important to remove redundant entries anyway.
Malevolent entries are another matter; CCLEANER doesn't claim to remove all those.  Malwarebytes is my tool of choice on that.
On the disk space, CCleaner leaves a few things around just in case, such as almost new temporary files
My main criticism of it is that the Disk Cleaner part cleans both Applications and Windows files whichever tab you are on.
I generally don't want to Applications part cleaned up, and I have been caught out  (in the past, never again ...???) with a new install and forgetting to clear most of the (not shown) Applications entries.
At least it remembers once you have changed the settings.
I can't comment on Free Internet Eraser itself.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Yeah, the reg cleaner does the same thing... i have another reg cleaner that finds more stuff than ccleaner after it has done its job !...
I use ccleaner for clearing cookies and stuff..... the reg cleaner I use after trying out progs and uninstalling them....  so not a job I do as often...
I have been using all four progs for years now, and never had any problems with progs not working, or stuff that the "frighteners" will try to spout about...
It was just a "general" type query, rather than an "In depth " analaysis of one program...or part of ... against another program....
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: sjptd
I have used other registry cleaners that overcleaned and left some programs not working properly.

My very reason for never using them - been there, done that..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!