Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!! Technophobe with WiFi issue

FIXED
Woollybackmandy
Dabbler

HELP!! Technophobe with WiFi issue

Have PlusNet fibre with PlusNet Hub One router. BT main socket comes into the main back bedroom and has always caused WiFi issues with equipment at the front of the house. Recently bought Blink XT security camera kit, with the intention of having 1 camera at the front of the house and 1 by the back door. For those of you unfamiliar with this camera system, it comes with 2 cameras and a sync module. i have placed the sync module in the back kitchen, and i have good Wifi signal from the sync module to the router and from both cameras to the sync module, but the signal from the front camera to the router is not strong enough. i bought a Tenda PA6 extender, which when cloned to PlusNet network, created havoc with all my other WiFi equipment. The other option was to connect the extender using the Tenda's own network, but according to the instructions, if you do that, all your other WiFi equipment has to be on the Tenda network, and my mobile phone (PlusNet mobile) would just not connect. Anybody out there that can steer me in the right direction???

18 REPLIES 18
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: HELP!! Technophobe with WiFi issue

I have read the set up guide and my understanding is that the cameras are connected via wifi to the sync module and.all access is via the sync module. It is the sync module that. Is separately connected via wifi to the router. Hence my understanding is that the cameras are not directly connected to the router. Consequently I don't understand your problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Woollybackmandy
Dabbler

Screenshot_20190412-213806_Blink.jpg

Thanks for replying Baldrick 1.....the cameras connect wirelessly to the sync module but looks like they must have a wireless connection to the router too. Both readings should have at least 3 blue bars. This screenshot is from the front camera. For the camera at the back of the house, there are 5 blue bars for both.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's Note(s)

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Woollybackmandy wrote:

Screenshot_20190412-213806_Blink.jpg

Thanks for replying Baldrick 1..looks like they must have a wireless connection to the router too. Both readings should have at least 3 blue bars.

To confirm your suspicion about the front camera with lower wifi signal level.... is it possible to move it, 

(whilst still powered on ) closer to either the Router, or the Sync Unit.... and see what difference that makes to the "bars" on your pic.

If it is confirmed as a lower signal level, ( on both units)   it MAY be a faulty board in the camera... 

or there are some building issues ( steel plates/lintels/thick walls etc)  between your front camera and the router or sync model  (whichever shows different levels) . Assuming the physical measured distance between the front camera and the two units is the same as the rear camera... ......

Baldrick1

@Woollybackmandy 

Going back to your first post, maybe we should be looking at why your Tenda extender is not working. 

Firstly I assume that you know that this is a Powerline unit, which work in pairs and therefore needs to have a separate unit, to which you connect the router. What I understand you need to do is plug the PA6 into a mains socket within wireless range of your router them clone the PA6 to the router by pressing the WPS button on both units. Having done that move the PA6 close to your errant camera and with a bit of luck all will be well with the world.

I would expect this to extend the area over which your other devices will work, not upset them.

Moderator and Customer

Woollybackmandy
Dabbler

Ahhhh Thanks Baldrick 1... Think this is maybe where i'm going wrong.

1]I have 2 other homeplugs (both Tenda P3) - one from router via ethernet cable to socket - the other connected to my PC via ethernet cable. 

2] I also use 2 others (both Tenda PH6] - one runs from socket via ethernet cable to the router and the other from socket via ethernet cable to my Firestick [as WiFi was always dropping].

i just assumed i could bring the Tenda PA6 into the mix and it would automatically work. I take it then that the PA6 extender needs to have a matching P3[?] via ethernet cable to the router??????

Woollybackmandy
Dabbler

Thanks Shutter.....WiFi signal is greatly improved if i bring the camera inside, but i need it outside at the front of the house, which is as far as you can get from my router. The only thing i haven't done is to try plugging my router into a BT extension nearer to the front of the house. I have always had it plugged into the main BT socket in the back bedroom , as that's what PlusNet have always advised.

Baldrick1

You only need one unit plugged in to the router. What you need is to add the new unit to your existing powerline network by following the instructions here https://www.tendacn.com/en/faq/2976.html relating to adding a unit.

Having done that then synchronise the wifi as explained earlier. Good luck.

Moderator and Customer

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

For what it`s worth..... the reason that isp`s insiste that the router is plugged into the "master socket"... is to eliminate noise or bad connections from  your dodgy house wiring, of extension cables, using the very flexible or spooled telephone extension cable...

. I have been using my router(s) (past 12 years or more)  on a HARD WIRED... hard copper wire, extension socket, at least 15 metres from the master socket, with no problems. I wired the extension sockets myself, and never had any problems with "noise" on the line as a consequence of running the router in an extension socket.

This is the cable I used..... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-MANUFACTURED-10m-2-Pair-CW1308-White-Telephone-Extension-Cable-SOLID-C...

Baldrick1

Fix

@Woollybackmandy wrote:

i bought a Tenda PA6 extender, which when cloned to PlusNet network, created havoc with all my other WiFi equipment. The other option was to connect the extender using the Tenda's own network, but according to the instructions, if you do that, all your other WiFi equipment has to be on the Tenda network, and my mobile phone (PlusNet mobile) would just not connect. Anybody out there that can steer me in the right direction???

This could be key to your issues. My previous post stands but in addition, as previously explained, there are two things that need to be synchronised. Firstly the PA6 needs to be connected to your powerline mains borne signal. Without doing this the PA6 will have no data connection to the router. It sounds like you already have two separate powerline networks in operation so you definitely don't need to add a third. If your other two are working and you want to keep it that way then fine. Just add the PA6 to one of them as previously suggested. If you're willing to have a go then you could disconnect one of the Tenda units from your router and again pair its mate to the remaining one by extending the single network as previously described.

The other is synchronising the wifi. If you don't do this then you will probably end up with one camera and the sync unit connected wirelessly to the router SSID and your front camera trying to connect to a different PA6 default SSID. This no doubt will totally confuse your camera system. Thinking about it, this is probably what you originally meant regarding cloning to the Plusnet network. This would not work because you were missing the mains borne link. You need to go back there after sorting the mains borne bit and your phone should work..

Depending on how well all these powerline devices work, you may find this interesting. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450.... I have scrapped all mine and done the job properly via Ethernet cable.

Moderator and Customer

Woollybackmandy
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick 1.....im going to give this a go later, when my visitors have gone home..... Sounds like I missed the 'pairing' stage out!... Will update you later... Thanks in anticipation! 

Woollybackmandy
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick 1........I would have said that i'm a fairly intelligent woman but cant believe i've made the basic mistake of trying to clone the extender without having previously paired it!!!! DOH!!!! .... I can't tell you how many times i've tried to sort this out!!!!

So let me just check this with you..... I only need 1 ethernet cable going into the back of the router, to enable all of my 4 homeplugs and extender to work?

Woollybackmandy
Dabbler

In fact, correct me if i'm wrong.... if you confirm that I only need 1 homeplug connected to the back of the router for all the others to work, then I can actually get rid of the 2nd homeplug that is currently connected to the router by ethernet, as they are all on the same network??.....if you confirm, then I think ! may actually be starting to understand the basics of how they work!!!!!

Woollybackmandy
Dabbler

YEEEE HAAAA!  %

5 blue bars on 'camera to sync module' and 5 blue bars on 'camera to wifi' on both cameras.....thanks again