Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a TP 9970 router to work on FTTP

FIXED
Mark63
Rising Star

Getting a TP 9970 router to work on FTTP

I'm struggling to get my son, (who has an FTTP BT connection) to get a TP Link 9970 router

to work in place of his Home Hub 6 (Yes, I know this is the PlusNet forum, but I'm a Plusnet

user, and so would he be too if Plusnet supported new FTTP customers  😉 )

I read all over the place that the 9970 supports BT Sport multicast connections,

but I cannot get it to work. I've got the router in PPPoE 'Wireless Router' mode,

and it works fine, except the BT You View box refuses to show the streamed BT channels.

As suggested in this forum I've set IGMP Proxy to 'on' and IGMP Snooping enabled, still no

luck (I've tried them both off, on/off etc too). The only option I can't try (because it's only

present in VDSL/ADSL modes) is to set the VLAN to 101 ?

Any ideas ?   I've not tried running a fresh install on the You View box (yet !)

Swapping back to the BT Hub all is fine.    

15 REPLIES 15
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Getting a TP 9970 router to work on FTTP

My gut feeling is that there may be an IP address conflict. Can you get into the Youview box settings and see what the IP address is? The home hub admin address is 192.168.1.254. I've read that TP Link use 192,168.1.1, but this needs confirming. If the Youview box is set to a fixed 192.168.1.1 then there's your problem.

If this is the case then one or the other needs changeing. See what you can find in the Youview box admin pages and come back with any IP address data you can find.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mark63
Rising Star

That's a good point !

I'll take a look when I go there next. However, I do recall seeing the YouView box in the DHCP client's

list on the 9970 with its assigned IP address as 192.168.1.100 (along with my phone, and my laptop on .101 and .102)

You make a good point though, it is worth double checking, but surely if the YouView accepted the IP address the tp link handed it ......?  

Baldrick1

One other thought, is there a paperclip operated factory reset button or similar feature in the Youview box settings so that you can configure it with the new router.from scratch?

If everything else fails and you're precious about using the TP link, you could always leave the youview box connected to your BT hub, configure the TP link as a Wireless Access Point connected to the BT hub with an Ethernet cable and use it for everything else.

Moderator and Customer

Mark63
Rising Star

Yes, that's one option, however the reasons I want to ditch the BT Hub completely are:-

1:  It's awful, and regularly applies a factory reset to itself

2:  Often, several reboots are required to get the WiFI and LAN connectivity working

3:  Doesn't support any remote access facilities

Yes, I can run a fresh set up for the You View box, that's an option to try still

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1

@Mark63 wrote:

Yes, that's one option, however the reasons I want to ditch the BT Hub completely are:-

1:  It's awful, and regularly applies a factory reset to itself

2:  Often, several reboots are required to get the WiFI and LAN connectivity working

Strange isn't it, I ran a SmartHub 6 for many months and now use a Business Smarthub. Both have been rock solid.

Moderator and Customer

beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Fix

I'm not familiar with the TP 9970 specifically, but a few years back got a TP Archer C8 working. Have  look here https://community.plus.net/t5/TV/Router-Configuration-for-Internet-Multicast-Channels/m-p/1077672#M7... . Might be worth a try if your 9970 has the same config options

Mark63
Rising Star

Thanks for that, and an interesting thread from 2015.

I've set the  second address in the WAN section, I'll report back

next time I visit my lad, and swap in the router again !

In the meantime, keep any other thoughts coming, all appreciated

Mark63
Rising Star

Done the job, setting the secondary IP address 169.254.1.23 works, many thanks !   Cheesy

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

So you managed to fix the  IP address conflict without the help @Baldrick1 offered in post #2 and awarded yourself the 'fix'?  Roll_eyes

Mark63
Rising Star

Err no, the fix that worked was suggested by beeeceeegeee two posts up, have a proper read of the thread please, and don’t be such a misery guts
Baldrick1

@RobPN wrote:

So you managed to fix the  IP address conflict without the help @Baldrick1 offered in post #2 and awarded yourself the 'fix'?  Roll_eyes

Some you win!

Moderator and Customer

Mark63
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@RobPN wrote:

Some you win!

I did check to see what the YouView box had done, and it had indeed changed its IP address to the one handed to it by the TP router, so that wasn't the issue.

For clarity, the fix was as per suggested by Beeceegee, creating an additional IP address to act as the 'Multicast Bucket'

Baldrick1

I fully accept that, what raised my eyebrows and was also I assume that which @RobPN was alluding to, was that others, in this case @beeceegee, had told you how to fix it. You then followed his advice then awarded the fix to yourself, not beeceegee.

Moderator and Customer