Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual boot on ssd

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Dual boot on ssd

I wish to set up a dual booting system on a ssd 250 gb.

Having done this previously everything worked fine but I soon ran out of space for linux and ended up with the low disk space message, managed to sort it using gparted but this time I want to allocate enough space for linux, say 30 gb so I am never bothered with that message again.

So having installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 and got into disk management I assume I can create a new partition but where do I go from there, Linux will install itself ok but at some point a option appears to keep windows and install linux mint 18.3 or something else, if I go for something else option would that allow me to install linux in the new 30 gp partition ?

If not and I accept the first option can I then get into gparted and use the additional space saved to enlarge what is available for linux ?

This would be a a fresh install on a new ssd.

Most files & programs will be stored on a HDD so I am unlikely to run out of space for windows.

Thanks

We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Dual boot on ssd

Easy way:
Install w7 but leave 30+gb free at the end of the disk.
Boot from Mint and install to free space, this will give you a grub menu to boot w7 or Mint.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@HairyMcbiker

Thanks for that but just to be clear am I creating a new partition or using some other option to save this space ?

Also when installing linux and select do something else will the option be there for me to install mint into that free space and keep windows ?

Sorry to be sounding a bit thick over this but want to avoid a situation where I might get stuck half way through.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

When you get into the w7 installer DON'T CHOOSE use whole disk, it will then allow you to leave a space at the end of the disk for Linux. Can't remember how to do it, but that is the gist.
You get a screen like gparted and you can choose how big the w7 partition will be.
The Linux installer is smart enough that it will not touch the w7 partitions and use the free space at the end.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@HairyMcbiker

Thanks for that.

It will be a bit later in the week when I have a go at this.

Smiley