cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Free Windows XP End of Life Countdown Gadget

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Download Free Windows XP End of Life Countdown Gadget

There’s not all that much life left in Windows XP, and fact is that the pressure is mounting for those still on the aging operating system to migrate to a more recent iteration of the Windows client.
Microsoft is providing constant reminders that time is running out for the platform that hit store shelves back in 2001, and this week, the Redmond company started offering a new one.
The Windows XP End Of Support Countdown Gadget is now available free of charge through the Microsoft Download Center.
The resource’s label is pretty much self-explanatory, but the software giant also noted in its official description:
“Looking to get off Windows XP? Use this handy gadget to count down the number of days until Windows XP End of Support (EOS) in 2014.”
That’s right, three more years until Windows XP expires, again, and this time around for good.
I say again, because, as additional Microsoft technologies, XP’s lifecycle is governed by two very distinct periods: Mainstream Support and Extended Support.
Users that followed the evolution of XP undoubtedly already know that the operating system reached the Mainstream Support End Date no less than two years ago, on April 14th, 2009.
At this point in time, there are less than three years left until XP will also reach the Extended Support End Date, on April 8th, 2014.

Source   http://news.softpedia.com/news/Download-Free-Windows-XP-End-of-Life-Countdown-Gadget-196409.shtml
Screenshot 
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
7 REPLIES 7
hadden
Grafter

Re: Download Free Windows XP End of Life Countdown Gadget

• Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Vista, Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit, any edition.

So, only Vista or 7 users can run this toy... ?
... and Windows XP users can't use it to "scare" themselves into moving.  Roll_eyes
Suits me... I'll think about moving in 5 or 6 years... maybe.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Yes, to me, a complete misfire by M$, and also by special effort and design, i.e. it really takes some effort to design a counter that can't run on XP but does on Vista.
But hey, if it allows XP users to get on with life with M$ nagging them so much the better.
Personally if I was a Vista user facing end of support 15th April 2012 it would really rub it home how much Vista was a failed OS knowing that it predecessor by some 8 years will enjoy support until 2014, making XP's official life 10 years (an immense amount of time in computing) longer than that of Vista.  Indeed, when I read about Windows 7 I'm often left with the feeling that Vista is an OS M$ wish they could forget.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Vista Is an OS M$ wishes to forget, Windows Seven has been a huge success. And Is what Vista should of been.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Hmm maybe their "other" way of getting people of xp is using WGA ? My (legal!) virtual xp came up with a "your copy may not be legal" notice after it did the last load of updates (It only gets enables every couple of months and there is usually 100'sMb of updates to d/l  Crazy
Can't say that I am bothered as the few occasions I need to use it it can complain all it wants I may drop its connection to the net as it doesn't really need it  Cheesy
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Hairy
My (legal!) virtual xp came up with a "your copy may not be legal" notice after it did the last load of updates

I strongly suspect that most virtual copies of XP use licence keys salvaged from old scrapped XP computers.  The chances are that these had an OEM copy of XP and the terms of the licence agreement for OEM copies of XP do not, AFAIK, permit transfer to another computer.  If Microsoft can detect that a copy of XP is virtual, then the statement "your copy may not be legal"  may have some statistical basis of truth even if it doesn't apply to the individual. 
colintivy
Rising Star

My reluctant use of XP Prof has made my life a bit easier having had some troubles with Ubuntu, It also has helped with the sluggish SM in that I can run the two computers alternately dealing with one email while the other is "waiting for Webmail". Thankfully I have now been allowed to join Betawebmail which is much preferred. Sadly my old Dell with XP is entirely incapable of accommodating bloatware so no option to use Win7 and I will have to go elsewhere for an OS. There is, of course, some advantage in being able to use some Win Apps which are indigestible to Linux. I will persevere with XP as long as it still works.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Must be said i'm another avid fan of XP and will stick with it as long as it still works. I also still have IE6 installed (rarely use it though).
Vista is on the SOs laptop and frankly... yuck. Not had any use of 7 to try it but i heard a lot of good about it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!