Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLNA Server not showing on Mac

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: DLNA Server not showing on Mac

Sorry Mook, not got a screeny of it. I'll try to explain further.
I downloaded VLC 2.2.4 (from Kent mirror service) but saw there was a newer version available (2.2.5.1) so I got that one too, to try out.

As I said previously 2.2.4 version shows kodi listed in the upnp section but takes an age to populate and show the files. Version 2.2.5.1 however does not list anything in the upnp section and leaving it there for a while makes no difference, still blank.
So it seems something is broken with version 2.2.5.1 as I can't get that to work at all.

Oh, just thought, could VLC have updated itself without you noticing? It sure would explain why you can't get it to work.
That's RPM to you!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the clarification @RPMozley and on checking the version mine remained at 2.2.4 so I downloaded the 2.2.5 from VidoeLAN.org and installed that and again nothing! Most odd and annoying.

In theory it can't be the server as that works with other devices in the house using 2.2.4 or their own client as used in my TV for example, so I guess whatever it is it is OSX related.

RPMozley
Pro

Best to go back to 2.2.4, from here http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/videolan.org/vlc/2.2.4/ , as 2.2.5.1 is clearly broken in the UPnP department.
Also remove VLC from the firewall list in the system settings app, to get it to ask for permission of incoming connections. Obviously click the allow button Wink
That's RPM to you!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

That version doesn't work either so no point in going backward, as regards the firewall :

There is None!

RPMozley
Pro

Did you check it again? Delete new VLC and reinstall 2.2.4

Also is it still saying "enable" when right-clicking the UPnP section? I don't recall if you mentioned if it changed to showing "disable"

Lastly, did you try the trashing of the VLC prefs files or not? You didn't mention this either, sadly I can't read minds (not remotely anyway ;))
That's RPM to you!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well no I didn't as I saw no reason to with it not working the first time why would it work having been re-installed. Yes, all I get is "Enable" selecting it simply doesn't change anything. Nothing happens and the option doesn't change to "Disable".

I deleted the file from the Library preferences when using 2.2.4 and was prompted again about online artwork when I started the app, but nothing else changed. So I'm still no further forward now as I was when I originally posted.