cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Hive hub

Ronnie8M
Dabbler

Connecting Hive hub

Hi - wonder if anyone can offer advice please - call is logged with Hive support team but wanted to ask experts here. Had a new Hive system installed today but the hub for it won't connect to the internet. Ethernet cable from the hub to the router - I'm using a BT router as with the Plusnet one the wi-fi kept dropping out. I've spent what feels like hrs on the phone to Hive where they got me to try various things none of which worked. One was to phone Plusnet and ask if any ports not which I did but didn't get a particularly helpful reply. So it's now on standalone mode which they try to sort it. I logged into the router and it was on the list there but not green and showing as not connected. I've unplugged it all for now but would welcome any suggestions as what might be wrong. Thank you

13 REPLIES 13
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Connecting Hive hub

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Tech Help.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

'I logged into the router and it was on the list there but not green and showing as not connected. '

@Ronnie8M  I'm not that familiar with the bt hub, but that tends to indicate that the Hive isn't gconnecting to the router and getting an ip address.

Have you tried different ports on the router and a different cable ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Ronnie8M 

Is the Hive device set with a fixed IP address or does it pick this up from the router? If it's fixed it has to be in the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253, preferably in the first 63 as these are designated as fixed by the router. If it's set in the 192.168.0.xxx range it will not connect

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Baldrick1 theres no ability to set a fixed ip on the Hive hub, in fact theres no ability to set anything!

Its dhcp only, you just plug it in and its supposed to work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@Ronnie8M 

If you log into your router and double click the Hive entry on the My Network page what results do you get? Below is a typical entry:

PN1.png

Is it reporting the correct connection type and Address Assignment? Is it also showing that no Port Forwarding rules or Access times have been set?

Moderator and Customer

Ronnie8M
Dabbler

Hi - thanks for suggestion. I've tried longer cable - my son's gaming one which I know works - moved it further away from router and have tried different ports but still not connecting

Ronnie8M
Dabbler

Hi - yes looks like that and shows a wired connection and DHCP for assignment address. Also shows no port forwarding rules or access times have been set up. One thing I forgot to mention and maybe should have is that I have a tp-link range extender fitted. Had to get this after switching to Plusnet as Smart TV connection kept dropping out. This is showing as 5 GHz connection - could the HIve Hub be trying to connect to this instead of the router? Thanks

Baldrick1

@Ronnie8M 

Sounds unlikely if the router is showing a wired connection. I am fumbling around in the dark because I don't have one of these devices I'm afraid. Have you tried removing the Ethernet cable and seeing if it will connect through wireless? Switch the Hive off then back on to reset it to give it a chance.

Moderator and Customer

Ronnie8M
Dabbler

Thanks - these hubs won't connect through wireless only the new 360 ones I'm pretty sure. I'm waiting for Hive to call back - think they may have forgotten so will chase them up. Thanks for your help

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Ronnie8M  have you tried using the Plusnet hub one to see if the Hive will connect with that ?

Ronnie8M
Dabbler

@MisterW  

No I've not tried it through the Plusnet Hub - I'd be reluctant to disconnect the BT one which took me ages to set up - and with help from on here! - and the reason for doing it was to improve wi-fi connectivity. Probably take me ages too to work out how to go back to Plusnet and all my details. I can try that maybe if nothing else works? Thank you

Baldrick1

@Ronnie8M 

Don't worry about the Smarthub settings. As long as you don't do a factory reset you can disconnect it without any settings being changed.

Moderator and Customer

Ronnie8M
Dabbler

@Baldrick1  - sorry for delay in responding. Thanks for the advice. I'm getting a new hub fitted and hope that might sort things out. If not I'll try going back to the Plusnet hub and see if that sorts it. Thanks for advice