Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding my old router as an access point

FIXED
satkin
Hooked

Adding my old router as an access point

Hi,

I've just moved to Plusnet and am wanting to add my old router to my network as an access point, to allow me to have a greater range for my wifi.

The old router is a Technicolor DWA0120.

I've connected this to my Hub One via ethernet, and can get to the Technicolor router settings page.  In there, there's an option within the gateway settings to "Convert to Access Point".  This page gives me the local device IP, and the local network subnet address.  Thinking that this was all I'd need to do, I selected this to save this setting.  The router then says it will reboot in 2 minutes as an access point.  I've attached a screenshot of this settings page.

Once the reboot has happened, I seem to lose all internet access.  I'm unable to get in to my Hub One settings page, or the old routers settings page, and nothing will load.  If I unplug the old router from the network, it eventually comes back and I can use the internet through the Hub One just fine.

I'm obviously missing a step or two, but I don't really know what I'm missing, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Adding my old router as an access point

@satkin  Welcome to the forum.

Which hub sockets are you using? It should be yellow LAN ports at both devices.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

satkin
Hooked

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I've got it yellow to yellow.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Fix

@satkin 

Do you have anything else using this fixed IP address? It can be any one in the range 192.168.1.2-63.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

satkin
Hooked

No, there's the old router at 192.168.1.1.  The other devices connected start from 192.168.1.165.

satkin
Hooked

I've just tried putting a different IP address for the old router and this time things appear to be working better.  I appear to be able to browse with it connected and get in to the setting of each router, so I think that may have solved it.  Many thanks for your help.